lets c your firewood storage shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this picture posts OK. 16X20, holds 6 full cord on each side, but I have split the left side into two sections, as I almost always have a farm tractor on the right side. As soon as I built the shed in 2004, I bought a 2nd tractor and needed the storage for it.

i saw pics years ago on here of a guy who had just poles with two roofing sheets per section. each row was approx 25-30' long by approx 5' wide. could double stack rows under roof.
cant say what thread it was in though. but for firewood storage, awesome idea....looked great

Heres what I put up using 3/4 galvanized conduit.

20150606_110853_zpsndm2xjui.jpg

20150606_110918_zpsqylbqkld.jpg

Everything on the right is ready to go, stuff on the left is wood I split earlier this year. I anticipate using half the wood per season, so this year Ill pull from the right side and when the season is over Ill restock that with the wood I am cutting and splitting now. Then next year Ill pull from the left side. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There is 12 full cords of wood stacked under the tarps.

same concept. but his had a metal roof and wood poles. great air flow, quick dry down.:happybanana:

I wanted to build using wood, but the cost got out of control.

My other C/S/S area is uncovered...

IMG_20151010_154653_zpseb5miq6r.jpg

I should have another 12 cords here when I'm done. Then Ill just cover it with a sheet of 60mil hdpe liner.

if its very wide or deep how do you rotate the wood newest to oldest

I anticipate using half of it every year. So this year I'll use half the wood on the right while the stuff on the left is what I cut and split this year. I'll replace what I use this year with what I'm cutting and splitting now and use the stuff on the left next year. Should keep me in 2 year seasoned wood every year.

That's the plan anyway. I'm sure it'll need tweaking.

Sent from a field

Call we crazy if you will, but I have cut and sold over 100 cords this year aleady and I never have more than 30 sticks of wood at any one time, even though Im feeding two stoves. Its only minus 8F here right now.

Just built it, now I need to fill it up.
View attachment 461986 View attachment 461988
I need to build a shelter/wood shed for firewood too.
I also want somewhere to put the boat under cover and I've looked into building a garage, but found it a bit too expensive.
The foundation alone for a 30'x20' concrete slab will be around $8000.
I like that idea of storing a few years worth of wood and on the other side storage for the boat and some tools.
How much was your shed?

Marine, Bryan's at Puslinch auction sells portable buildings like that. I was bidding on several online yesterday. Price was around $2400 for 20x30x 10' high, rollup tarp doors on both ends. 30x65x15' door was around $4200. Richie Bros has a few coming up in the Dec sale. Britespan also sells a better building but of course a bigger price too. This is a pic of the smaller one.
1447278227_tMCp0GgHkkhlZyFo_2751_280.jpg

Here's one I had put up last Spring. It has wood in it now.
Cement floor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448668535.326108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448668906.416103.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448668917.188706.jpg

These aren't my main shed. I can generally get nearly two years of wood in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was dark when I found this thread, so no pic's. I use one of those portable carports. Its 14ftx19ft. both sides and both ends are open. I stack it full about 5ft high and stack side to side instead of front to back. It will hold about 8 cords, 2 yrs worth, if i ever get it plumb full. I use out of one end one winter and out of the other end the next winter is how I rotate my wood. Carport was free, I just had to go get it.

posts are northern white cedar (one of the most rot resistant trees in this area and secured in the ground with concrete as we sometimes get high winds; bottom and sides of the posts were coated with roofing tar and then wrapped in aluminum flashing which protrudes above grade approx. one foot as ground level is where the rot is gonna start, nothing like a little overkill. The two beams are popple. Traded a friend a pickup load of camp fire wood for some metal roof panels which were enough for the roof and the back wall. 30'long by 6' deep, roof slopes from 8' to 7'; holds about 8.5 cords; went with two sets of four accordian style doors 4'x8'each, so with the doors open I can still drive past with a load of wood. Lots of wind riven rain and snow around here so wanted to keep the wood high and dry; nothing worse than trying to burn wet wood.
DSCN2012.JPG GEDC0077.JPG

Latest posts

Back