lets c your wood hauler pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why, yours looked pretty good. I loved those mid 90's fords.
Oh, yeah, it's not that it is in that bad of shape, but I increasingly find myself overloading the heck out of 'er. And the lil ole 5.0 has a hard time keepin 'er at highway speeds, especially if the road is hilly. I suppose I should cut a 175K mile truck some slack, but after pulling my new (to me) dump trailer fully loaded for the first time yesterday, my previous observations of low(ish) power and lacking suspension became glaringly obvious!
I have a big block f250 too, but it needs a water pump at the moment so the 150 was called back to firewood duty. The 250 was purchased to replace the 150, but after having the 250 for a bit, I realized the truck is a bit more of a "rat" than what I would want for anything other than maybe just firewood duty, and I don't really want to maintain two trucks, so when the right truck/deal comes along...

Oh, yeah, it's not that it is in that bad of shape, but I increasingly find myself overloading the heck out of 'er. And the lil ole 5.0 has a hard time keepin 'er at highway speeds, especially if the road is hilly. I suppose I should cut a 175K mile truck some slack, but after pulling my new (to me) dump trailer fully loaded for the first time yesterday, my previous observations of low(ish) power and lacking suspension became glaringly obvious!
I have a big block f250 too, but it needs a water pump at the moment so the 150 was called back to firewood duty. The 250 was purchased to replace the 150, but after having the 250 for a bit, I realized the truck is a bit more of a "rat" than what I would want for anything other than maybe just firewood duty, and I don't really want to maintain two trucks, so when the right truck/deal comes along...

I have to tell you, mine is a f350 7.3 diesel and it SUCKS to tow with. Diesel means low rpm's and the tranny with over drive is not set up for it. My old 00 chevy 3/4 with the 6.0 towed 10,000% better, that tow haul button was great.

standard.jpg

SR

I have to tell you, mine is a f350 7.3 diesel and it SUCKS to tow with. Diesel means low rpm's and the tranny with over drive is not set up for it. My old 00 chevy 3/4 with the 6.0 towed 10,000% better, that tow haul button was great.
I'm not sure about the SDs, but I know Ford used to recommend locking the trans out of OD when towing heavy loads with the older auto trans. Also, I know a lot of guys with the 7.3s put tuners (chips, whatever you call them) on 'em, that will give you tow/haul mode on some/most tuners.
I live near a intersection and when my neighbor put a tuner on his '97 7.3 PS, I knew something had changed as soon as I heard him pull away from the stop sign the first time he went by pulling his loaded trailer, it sounded much stronger. He says his average mileage and power both increased and I believe him because he is very anal about keeping good records on his baby! He also says the transmission "hunting" decreased. I'm not sure what brand/model he installed. There are plenty of Ford/PS forums out there that would be glad to discuss options with you I'm sure! :laugh: :yes:

I would stick with a gas engine for myself, I could never justify the extra purchase price and maintenance/repair cost of a diesel for the 1-2000 miles I would put on it per year

Ya, that's the old SD's, mine is a pull truck first and it's D, push the peddle and set cruise. With basically double the power to the ground it's just a touch of the peddle and there is no trany hunting, Crumaro hunting...yes....

The tow haul in the newer tranys does change the shift points but isn't needed unless you want to use it.

The rest of that pic is my tri axle GN with the donor 3/4T truck for the brother in law, he popped the 6.0 in his tow to the lake, park, fall tow it home truck...

I'm not sure about the SDs, but I know Ford used to recommend locking the trans out of OD when towing heavy loads with the older auto trans. Also, I know a lot of guys with the 7.3s put tuners (chips, whatever you call them) on 'em, that will give you tow/haul mode on some/most tuners.
I live near a intersection and when my neighbor put a tuner on his '97 7.3 PS, I knew something had changed as soon as I heard him pull away from the stop sign the first time he went by pulling his loaded trailer, it sounded much stronger. He says his average mileage and power both increased and I believe him because he is very anal about keeping good records on his baby! He also says the transmission "hunting" decreased. I'm not sure what brand/model he installed. There are plenty of Ford/PS forums out there that would be glad to discuss options with you I'm sure! :laugh: :yes:

I would stick with a gas engine for myself, I could never justify the extra purchase price and maintenance/repair cost of a diesel for the 1-2000 miles I would put on it per year
I do have a tuner, Not the greatest just a Bully Dog. My issue is at least around here with lots of hills and inclines, that with O off I am close to red line at 65mph and with O on can't keep 65 when there is an incline.

How do you keep the bundles together? Pallets with chicken wire around?
Chain link fence, we tried the commercial bags made of mesh but they photo degraded and we're not reusable so we used the same fixture that held the bags and exchanged the fence in place. It can be used over and over new fence sections run about $5 per bag and is covered on first use

I do have a tuner, Not the greatest just a Bully Dog. My issue is at least around here with lots of hills and inclines, that with O off I am close to red line at 65mph and with O on can't keep 65 when there is an incline.

I had a 97 7.3 and an 02 7.3 and I thought they towed great. The 97 was a hand shaker with 4;10 gears and the 02 was a slush box with 3.73 gears. Had an 07 6.o and it was even better. Now I have a 6.7 and the thing is a beast. We have plenty of hills.

More pics and details on the splitter please .
Here's a pic of splitter head but I couldn't get videos to load. I copied the Rex 900 out of Australia for design. 8" by 47" stroke cylinder. 80 ton. Splitter head is 35" wide. Haven't made time to get the most out of the splitter yet but it'll put out 2-3 fc an hour with 1 person. Cut the wood to length, load the rounds on hopper table then hook them and slide under splitter flat 3" at a time, cycle & repeat. Cycle time is slow at 20 seconds, I have to redo the hoses from 1/4" to 1/2" to get the cycle down to around 10 sec. Each cycle makes up to 8 pieces, 3" by 4", depending on log diameter

Attachments

• 2012-12-06_16-21-50_601.jpg
    2012-12-06_16-21-50_601.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 124
It is firewood in the pick but that is what i use for moveing wood around

Attachments

• tree removal.jpg
    tree removal.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 116
  • 2014-10-14 09.24.45.jpg
    2014-10-14 09.24.45.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 118
just like our s.. 7'x14'x3.75' two nice cords thrown in .... this load is all red oak dry as a bone......

The bed on mine is 8ft wide, 12 ft long, sides are about 3ft tall. Just in loose it fits about 1-1.25 cords if I heap it up tall.

Might by another one, guy has a 4x4 one, but not a dumper for sale for 2500$.

Back