Let's see your splitting toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
image.jpg
Top to bottom
Gransfors Bruks long splitting axe, my favorite
Six pound maul, my first.
Plow and Hearth got it on sale at the last minute very good, needs a new handle.
Gransfors Bruks splitting maul, haven't used it much, just got it.
And up rite is my Fiskars x27, I was not very impressed with it, I think it was to overhyped and never lived up to it, but I use it a lot while I'm out in the wood pile, good general purpose axe.

I was very impressed with the Gransfors Bruks splitting axe it was everything advertised and then some and as far as craftsmanship, it is truly a work of art. I can't wait till winter to try out the maul.

They are very high quality indeed. I'm sure I've got 30-40 cords of wood split with my GB maul. Every time I pick it up, it's a joy to use.

They aren't cheap, but they work very well, are fun to use, and hold up super well.

I'm curious to hear how you like the maul vs the long splitting axe. Not that I need another $100+ splitting tool or anything. ;)

15 ton 34" stroke powered by Kubota D950 3 cylinder diesel 13 GPM single stage = 4" per second piston speed and the other is 30 ton 26" with Predator engine 11 GPM 2 stage pump and adjustable/removable 4 way wedge and hydraulic lifting crane. Half the speed of the other one, makes up for it with 4 way wedge and is a godsend for lifting and busting down trunk rounds.
cb4dadcc59e231ee20a3888d22a1020a.jpg

That crane splitter is nice...
Yes and no. It's kind of a piece of junk but it's a work in progress. It sat stationary when I got it. I put axle, tongue and jacks on it and made the 4 way wedge for it, added a log tray etc. The pusher needs a big plate and a track to slide in. And a bigger pump, lines, reservoir and add a filter and detent valve. Then it would be nice! Lol
The other splitter I built last winter it's fast but turns out the long stroke is pointless because although long pieces fit in my boiler fine, I don't feel like picking them up lol

I guess I should say it's a nice idea, lol. That would definitely come in handy around here, I have some quartered chunks that are probably close to 200lbs a piece. Luckily they pop open pretty easily with the maul.

I guess I should say it's a nice idea, lol. That would definitely come in handy around here, I have some quartered chunks that are probably close to 200lbs a piece. Luckily they pop open pretty easily with the maul.
Lol Yea it'll pick up 40" diameter 20" long maple rounds like nothing. A log lift table would be at least as handy if not more so but this was how I got it.

They are very high quality indeed. I'm sure I've got 30-40 cords of wood split with my GB maul. Every time I pick it up, it's a joy to use.

They aren't cheap, but they work very well, are fun to use, and hold up super well.

I'm curious to hear how you like the maul vs the long splitting axe. Not that I need another $100+ splitting tool or anything. ;)
I haven't really used the maul yet, I got it after the axe. But I liked the axe so much I went and got the maul.

Back