Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
As the bid date nears for this FS job... It's looking more and more like it's going to be worth putting a bid on. I'm going to go cruise the job Friday I think? Anyone want some pictures?

Anywho, if I bid this job, I'll be purchasing a skidder. I've been watching Craigslist, and other local publications, and there are some good deals out there. I'd like to spend somewhere between 10-15k. I considered a JD 440, but they seem to be a tweed expensive for what you get, and I don't know how pricey, or available parts are? Also, if you don't get the 440D with turbo, I don't think it would be as good a machine... But, I have never ran any of the 440 series.

So, who's ran what, and how did you like it? Clark stuff any good? I think this job would work the best with a winch, but a swing boom/winch combo would be good too. I'm thinking cat 518, JD 640 648? Parts aren't too out of whack on those right?
Which ones should I avoid like the plague?
Anyway, lets hear some opinion.

I don't know too much about skidder's. Untill I started my thinning business I just felled trees for someone else to skid.
I've got a JD 440-B and I like it pretty good, except I wish it was a grapple instead of just a cable. I really like the fact that it weighs about 12,000 lbs. and I can jump it on a gooseneck and pull it with my pickup, rather than paying a truck $3 or $400 every time I need to move it. But that's part of what I don't like about it too. It's only 8' wide, so on steep slopes it's a little tipsy, so you have to keep the back tires loaded to keep at least one of them on the ground. I've had it on 2 wheel's more times than I care to think about. Mine has a JD 70 horse turbocharged diesel in it. Which dosen't sound like much, but has been plenty with the gearing it has, but I'm not skidding anything huge either. It's real easy on fuel too. Most parts are still readily available through JD, but if it comes from John Deere it ain't cheap.
Mine was pretty much a basket case, with a good engine when I bought it. The tranny was in a million pieces. I lucked out, and it only cost about 2 grand for the parts to put it back together, so I don't have too much in it. But it's still a lot of work setting chokers.

Andy

I don't know too much about skidder's. Untill I started my thinning business I just felled trees for someone else to skid.
I've got a JD 440-B and I like it pretty good, except I wish it was a grapple instead of just a cable. I really like the fact that it weighs about 12,000 lbs. and I can jump it on a gooseneck and pull it with my pickup, rather than paying a truck $3 or $400 every time I need to move it. But that's part of what I don't like about it too. It's only 8' wide, so on steep slopes it's a little tipsy, so you have to keep the back tires loaded to keep at least one of them on the ground. I've had it on 2 wheel's more times than I care to think about. Mine has a JD 70 horse turbocharged diesel in it. Which dosen't sound like much, but has been plenty with the gearing it has, but I'm not skidding anything huge either. It's real easy on fuel too. Most parts are still readily available through JD, but if it comes from John Deere it ain't cheap.
Mine was pretty much a basket case, with a good engine when I bought it. The tranny was in a million pieces. I lucked out, and it only cost about 2 grand for the parts to put it back together, so I don't have too much in it. But it's still a lot of work setting chokers.

Andy

Setting chokers is always hard work... Keeps a guy fit though! No need for a gym membership. LOL

I found a 440B or 'C' (?) I can't remember which, in BC for $7,500... They said it was in really good shape... There's also a JD 640 fixed grapple here, and they're asking 15k... I drove by today, and it looks really clean. The fixed grapple is way more limited though... I'd rather find a swing boom. That way a guy doesn't have to work the rear around on a hill to grab at trees.

So you think a 440 w/o the turbo is not worth it?

i would stay away from the fixed grapple bud. if it were me i would run a swing grapple winch combo. now how step and/or soft is the job? if it is really soft you might want to look into a cat tracked skidder. they are awesome machines. they are just like a dozer with a swing grapple and a winch as an option. but the grapple is standard. like 1 of these 2

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308777&x=7

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308778&x=7
good luck with the bid hope you get the job

chris

i would stay away from the fixed grapple bud. if it were me i would run a swing grapple winch combo. now how step and/or soft is the job? if it is really soft you might want to look into a cat tracked skidder. they are awesome machines. they are just like a dozer with a swing grapple and a winch as an option. but the grapple is standard. like 1 of these 2

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308777&x=7

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308778&x=7
good luck with the bid hope you get the job

chris

I agree about the swing boom/winch combo, as I said earlier.

As far as the site... They'll make me shut down if it gets too soggy up there... This is a 6 year old burn site, so they don't want it all torn to Hades.

Those track skidder's are sweet, but waaaay out'a my price range.

Forget that swing boom stuff unless that job is a pancake. A good Dual Arch with a bunching grapple is the spot. I run a 440 C on a regular basis right now and like it besides its TINY. . . .Mine has a turbo bassically same as a 540 C but witha shorter frame.

Got a few questions

-Whats the average size wood

-How steep

-Length of skid

. . .. I would recomend though any deere but they dont like steep stuff (tippy). . . . .Timberjack = jack of all trades find a good 350 or 450 dual arch and your set. . . .cat 518's are good but they really suck the fuel. . . .you gotta heep the **** outta them to make em pay, they stick to the ground like glue also but again there kinda doggy on the get up and go.

Also how are ya laying out the wood. . . .had chopping or buncher?

-steve

Last edited:
there are some smokin good deals on skidders right now. i found an '05 franklin 170 with 2200 hrs for $40,000. or on ebay right now is an '04 648 with 1500 hours for $59,000. the old smaller skidders dont ever seem to drop much, even in todays market. i have a big dual arch grapple skidder, and a small cable skidder, they both have their place. but in small wood with short skids, a big skidsteer will out perform both of them. my skidsteer weighs in at 13,200 with the tracks on it, it will really move some wood.
in the $10 to $15k range there isnt much out there but OLD cable skidders, swingbooms arent real common and usually cost more than regular grapple skidders. the 527 CAT tracked skidders are PRICEY, dealer around here has 4 of them, i think the cheapest one is like $120,000.
my '98 franklin 185 dual arch with a winch is for sale, for $32,000, or i can rent it out. it is a big machine at 17 tons, but really moves the wood.

what size of big skidsteer are you talking about?i have been researching the purchase of a t250, had a chance to operate a t190 grapple and it blew me out of the water for its size,i thought the neatest thing about em is if there are no woods contracts there is other stuff you can do just have to buy attatchments not very pricey either...bobcat is offering some insane financing right now,worth a look...

Setting chokers is always hard work... Keeps a guy fit though! No need for a gym membership. LOL

I found a 440B or 'C' (?) I can't remember which, in BC for $7,500... They said it was in really good shape... There's also a JD 640 fixed grapple here, and they're asking 15k... I drove by today, and it looks really clean. The fixed grapple is way more limited though... I'd rather find a swing boom. That way a guy doesn't have to work the rear around on a hill to grab at trees.

So you think a 440 w/o the turbo is not worth it?

Most of my work is at between 7 and 9000', so I wouldn't even look at one without the turbo.
Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about skidder's, except that being about half crazy will help you be more productive with one.:laugh: But from the pictures you posted on the other thread I think you'd be ok with a 440. Used parts are available too, and I bet you could add a turbo fairly reasonably.

Andy

You can take a 380 or 450 timberjack in more places than the 440 cat they are narrower and like to tip alittle more than the tj's imo.

A Timberjack 450 witha esco 100'' grapple and winch of course is a nice machine to run again imo.

Forget that swing boom stuff unless that job is a pancake. A good Dual Arch with a bunching grapple is the spot. I run a 440 C on a regular basis right now and like it besides its TINY. . . .Mine has a turbo bassically same as a 540 C but witha shorter frame.

Got a few questions

-Whats the average size wood

-How steep

-Length of skid

. . .. I would recomend though any deere but they dont like steep stuff (tippy). . . . .Timberjack = jack of all trades find a good 350 or 450 dual arch and your set. . . .cat 518's are good but they really suck the fuel. . . .you gotta heep the **** outta them to make em pay, they stick to the ground like glue also but again there kinda doggy on the get up and go.

Also how are ya laying out the wood. . . .had chopping or buncher?

-steve

It'll be all hand felled, I won't even have to face a lot of it I figure. I'll know more Friday when I go cruise it.... Some hilly, a lot of low slope too. Here are a couple pictures from the Roberts Fire... These aren't from the Sale area... But similar. It's a clearcut sale, with some leave trees...

184380346_82c7a89ebf.jpg

32807214EzCcmh_fs.jpg

The above pictures show some really scorched wood... I don't believe the sale area is as bad.

Hey everybody, the contract might specify that skid trails must be spaced a minimum of ----- apart, and unless he's got a feller buncher, (not) he'll need to winch the trees to the skid trail.

My personal preference is a skidder that has a problem so you can see the flames shoot out the stack at 0 dark thirty in the morning. :greenchainsaw:

Not exactly legal during fire season. But it was winter.

I've run a deere 440c, and i liked it a lot. . . haul a decent amount of wood, easy on fuel, good visibility, etc. I've also ran a cat 525 grapple, and didn't like nearly as much as the smaller deere. The cat had TERRIBLE visibility from the cab, although the cab was pretty nice inside. Also, fixed grapples SUCK for following a hand faller! The deere is a little tippy, but if you know what you're doing, you won't have any problems.

I love my 540B. I have also run Timbe Jacks and they realy nice to, but they are realy loud. A freind of mine used to run a Clarke Ranger and he said that was the best skidder he had ever run.

I love my 540B. I have also run Timber Jacks and they realy nice to, but they are realy loud. A freind of mine used to run a Clarke Ranger and he said that was the best skidder he had ever run.

have spent several years in the cage on an 87 timbejack 380b,solid arch grapple,have had no problems maneuvering it because i know of nothing different,solid platform though with chains on all fours it will climb where you might should not go?you can ride it on three weels and it still feels stable enough,worst case scenario pop a motor costs 5000 crate cummins,thrash the tranny ten thousand for a new one,and something of this year or around it might be right around fifteen thousand?

Used to run a John Deere 440 A everyday, it was a nice solid machine, tippy and a little cold natured but starting fluid fixed that.

You might want one with a turbo for more power but the A is geared low enough to get the job done. Ive pulled some big hardwood with that skidder. Never ran anything else besides the 440 and a JD 548 E so I wouldnt know about any others.

Good luck finding one.

I would forget the 440 or 540 unless you wanna be workin up there for a while. . . .i would look at Timberjack, Cat and Franklins. and defiantly a grapple. . . .preferably a dual arch bunching grapple. . .. .those sorting scissor crap grapples suck.

-steve

Back