Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice ! now we are getting somewhere!that girl is smokin hot,hey i dont know if you knew it or not andy but they filmed a couple scenes for transformers 2 down at the sawmill,i am pretty sure they did alot of the filming for 3 in this area too,as far as i am concerned just drop off megan and the rest of them can head back to hollywood!

They're filming a 3rd Transformers movie already!!??

i am not sure...but i will bet that when the last one stopped rolling the next one started...when hollywood hits the public with something they like they milk that cow dry as quick as possible before anyone gets bored,megan sure does help with that boredom bit!:blob2:

i am not sure...but i will bet that when the last one stopped rolling the next one started...when hollywood hits the public with something they like they milk that cow dry as quick as possible before anyone gets bored,megan sure does help with that boredom bit!:blob2:

Yes, yes she does. :cheers:

I don't know which one it was, but they filmed some of one of them over on the res. They hired Jensen's and blew up some trees. They said it was quite a fiasco. They had them digging up big trees and moving them, digging holes to plant them in so it would be the scene they wanted when they blew them up. :laugh:
The chamber of commerce called me and said they were looking for someone to let them knock down some trees, and generally tear up some real estate.
I was working on a little 18 acre patch that the land owners wanted manicured. I just told them thanks, but no thanks.

Andy

I don't know which one it was, but they filmed some of one of them over on the res. They hired Jensen's and blew up some trees. They said it was quite a fiasco. They had them digging up big trees and moving them, digging holes to plant them in so it would be the scene they wanted when they blew them up. :laugh:
The chamber of commerce called me and said they were looking for someone to let them knock down some trees, and generally tear up some real estate.
I was working on a little 18 acre patch that the land owners wanted manicured. I just told them thanks, but no thanks.

Andy

Usually production companies pay really dang good though... Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr, filmed a move in the Park here... They called my cousin's secretary, and wanted a massage therapist on set to message Robin Williams between takes... My cousin runs a massage school.

She (the secretary) said she wasn't sure if he (my cousin) worked out of the office, and they hung up on her... My cousin found out later a therapist up in Bigfork got the gig, and made like $7,500 bucks in a couple weeks.

My cousin was pissed, and wanted to kill the secretary! LOL

yeah my buddy drove a water truck up there and got to witness all the gasoline explosions and stuff,said it was a good time,nothing really lit off where you should probly put it out or anything from what he said

i hate to be a stick in the mud,but i was a little upset when our governer basically gave hollywood the keys to the state,my sister told me everything in las cruces has been bought up by californians,and i see the infiltration all around us,they can sell a 1 bedroom in cali. for enough to buyout our whole neighborhood...

Usually production companies pay really dang good though... Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr, filmed a move in the Park here... They called my cousin's secretary, and wanted a massage therapist on set to message Robin Williams between takes... My cousin runs a massage school.

She (the secretary) said she wasn't sure if he (my cousin) worked out of the office, and they hung up on her... My cousin found out later a therapist up in Bigfork got the gig, and made like $7,500 bucks in a couple weeks.

My cousin was pissed, and wanted to kill the secretary! LOL

Might have been some money in it, but the land owners weren't interested. They asked me if I would guarantee that I could make it look as good as the last piece I did for them after the "Transformers" got through, and I had to say no.

Andy

i hate to be a stick in the mud,but i was a little upset when our governer basically gave hollywood the keys to the state,my sister told me everything in las cruces has been bought up by californians,and i see the infiltration all around us,they can sell a 1 bedroom in cali. for enough to buyout our whole neighborhood...

Yeah, I know what you mean.
It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't try to change everything to be just like where they came from once they get here. They see our little mountain as utopia when they first come through town, but when they move here they want to change it. :dizzy: Might as well face it, we've been Californicated (in other words We're F#####).

Andy

It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't try to change everything to be just like where they came from once they get here. They see our little mountain as utopia when they first come through town, but when they move here they want to change it. :dizzy: Might as well face it, we've been Californicated (in other words We're F#####).

Andy

I'd get really upset about all this "Californicated" talk...if all of you weren't so damn right. We even get it in our own state. They move up to the north end of the state for the same reasons they move to Oregon or Washington, or your part of the country. We have a lot of names for them but there aren't any that I could get past the AS censors.

LOL...When I go up north for the PNW GTG Slowp said she'd loan me a set of Washington license plates. People up there really don't like Californians and I can't say as I blame them much.

Now...to get this thread back on topic...I saw a skidder yesterday.:)

Andy

I'd get really upset about all this "Californicated" talk...if all of you weren't so damn right. We even get it in our own state. They move up to the north end of the state for the same reasons they move to Oregon or Washington, or your part of the country. We have a lot of names for them but there aren't any that I could get past the AS censors.

LOL...When I go up north for the PNW GTG Slowp said she'd loan me a set of Washington license plates. People up there really don't like Californians and I can't say as I blame them much.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

We get it here too fellas... We can never get the kool kolifornians like Bob... We always have to get the vegan, tree hugger, liberal, dumb kind. :cry:

Californians

:agree2:
When I was working in Humboldt, I remember all of the local guys that I worked with saying:"This place used to be pretty cool, til all the yuppies, and tree huggers moved in"...after living there for a few years; they were right! California has the best timber I have ever seen and some of the most beautiful territory I have ever seen...it is an awesome state, and there are still some good people that reside there, but there are also a lot of culls too.:cheers:

When I was working in Humboldt, I remember all of the local guys that I worked with saying:"This place used to be pretty cool, til all the yuppies, and tree huggers moved in"...after living there for a few years; they were right! California has the best timber I have ever seen and some of the most beautiful territory I have ever seen...it is an awesome state, and there are still some good people that reside there, but there are also a lot of culls too.:cheers:

It's much worse for you down in Missoula than it is up here... Missoula has such a 'big city' feel it's ridiculous.

Our cancerous growth up here is Whitefish... All the implants with no brains seem to flock there.

It's much worse for you down in Missoula than it is up here... Missoula has such a 'big city' feel it's ridiculous.

Our cancerous growth up here is Whitefish... All the implants with no brains seem to flock there.

Yeah, and unforunately right now I live right in the middle of it:cry:, as I got re-married last summer, I was living in Corvallis, and my wife lived here, so I told her I would move in with her til she could get a job in the Bitterroot...it has been one year, but she did apply for a job a while back and we feel confident that she can get it, then we just have to be able to land some affordable housing:dizzy:which has gotten crazy in the Bitterroot. Wish me luck!

P.S., do you ever follow the Rocky Mountain football League, semi-pro football? You guys have the Glacier Knights up there. I played one year for the Bitterroot Blaze and had a blast!
n1232378057_30308924_7696.jpg
The funnest game that I had was up there, as I got to be in on kickoff the whole game, and got to play some corner in fourth quarter...by the way we won 91-3, and that 3 was because of me:monkey:, I had a late hit penalty which put them in field goal range. They were a fun bunch of guys, and they did really well this year.:cheers:

Yeah, and unforunately right now I live right in the middle of it:cry:, as I got re-married last summer, I was living in Corvallis, and my wife lived here, so I told her I would move in with her til she could get a job in the Bitterroot...it has been one year, but she did apply for a job a while back and we feel confident that she can get it, then we just have to be able to land some affordable housing:dizzy:which has gotten crazy in the Bitterroot. Wish me luck!

P.S., do you ever follow the Rocky Mountain football League, semi-pro football? You guys have the Glacier Knights up there. I played one year for the Bitterroot Blaze and had a blast!
n1232378057_30308924_7696.jpg
The funnest game that I had was up there, as I got to be in on kickoff the whole game, and got to play some corner in fourth quarter...by the way we won 91-3, and that 3 was because of me:monkey:, I had a late hit penalty which put them in field goal range. They were a fun bunch of guys, and they did really well this year.:cheers:

I was just in Victor on Thursday... The Bitterroot Valley doesn't seem like a bad place to live at all... As long as a guy can find work somewhere.

It looked like a big fire had swept through a few thousand acres on the face of the Bitterroot Range--they should log all that dead wood out'a there, and replant!

I haven't followed the league before... But I'll check it out!

What a shame

Yeah, the Bitterroot range has been ravaged by fires...unfortunately, the only trees that have gotten salvaged here have been mostly private, and state owned. I am convinced that the Forest dis-service, or Forest Circus, okay...Forest Service :)(no harm intended here, as I have a lot of friends that work for them, but they are a bureaucracy, and it seems that a lot of the higher ups are big city yuppies on the east coast that never see, or live what is happening to our National Forest lands here), seems to think that if they just let everything burn up, that the forest lands will then be managed, and they wont have to worry about all the litigation's from all the tree huggers any more...I do think that as things are now their hands are fairly tied up, hopefully things will change before it all goes up in flames!

P.S. Slowp...hopefully you will not take offense...like I said, I have many FRIENDS that are employed by the F.S., and I am assuming that you work for them? After reading your posts, you are one of the good girls:angel:. After all, I was married to a girl that worked for them. My ex put herself through college working for them, so I do respect the people:bowdown:, just not so much the bureaucracy:cheers:

Last edited:
The grapple skidder is working the bottom of the unit, and the yarder is now going on the top. :)

Yarders are better than skidders cuz they can't run around all over as much.:cheers:

I found a nice, "Princess" pink balloon while walking out to the road in a way so as not to get smashed by the feller buncher.

Are we back on topic yet?

And they filmed a movie here last year. The movie people spent a lot of money in our little community, but I don't think they want to move here. Packwood is more to their liking. They have a bike lane.

okay skidders

The grapple skidder is working the bottom of the unit, and the yarder is now going on the top. :)

Yarders are better than skidders cuz they can't run around all over as much.:cheers:

I found a nice, "Princess" pink balloon while walking out to the road in a way so as not to get smashed by the feller buncher.

Are we back on topic yet?

I agree, yarders are better than skidders, but if it weren't for the costs, helicopter logging is sweet, but then again, I am kind of biased since most of my career was for them. I am not sure if our comrades from Colorado and surrounding areas would agree because, unless things have changed much, I don't think they do much, if any, yarder logging in that country? Bullbuck?. I lived in North Park when I was little and my Dad was a Timber Faller there, until we moved to Montana in '88.

And they filmed a movie here last year. The movie people spent a lot of money in our little community, but I don't think they want to move here. Packwood is more to their liking. They have a bike lane.
[/QUOTE]

Where is here? I stayed in an R.V. park that was Close to Elbe, right next to Alder lake I think? We were logging in a big second growth patch up by Eatonville. We waited around for quite a while for some Old Growth that was supposed to be harvested by Kapowsin, but unfortunately, it never happened, at least not while I was there.:cheers:

Last edited:

Hahaha. Don't get upset Bob. I have the right to whine about Californians, I are one. :cheers: I was fortunate enough to be taken from there when I was 5 though. :laugh: There are a lot of good folks in California, unfortunately they are out numbered by the screwball's.

Andy

Oh yeah, so I'm not way off topic again.
1978 John Deere 440-b, ugly but paid for.

Last edited:
yeah,our mountains are not as tall as up north but i had a yarder job unhooking chokers for a sreaming detroit with probably 8 to 10 main line splices that you could see,i only worked the job for maybe 3 weeks,out in sullivan,but the ground was too steep to deck on the side of the road so the crane op. would take a 5 6 log turn and sling them onto the road where i would set chokes on em and skid them to a better place to load with a d6,guess i was 17 or so...there were some decks in excess of 20 feet tall on ..well just steep ground but no i dont know much about yarding at all

Latest posts

Back