Leveraxe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am struggling with the leveraxe. I love the tool itself. Great craftsmanship on the making of it. And it does just what it says. But not in knotted wood. I had it going like pro. Knocking one piece off after another until you get into something that has a knot. Even longer pieces than 16"s, no problem. Not that my maul can split a log with these knots without really banging the hell out of it.
I would love to go back and forth splitting clear wood with the leveraxe and saving the knotty wood for the rent-a-splitter but for $280. uh, uh. Although I did figure that 280 is probably something a lot less painful if one is making Finish money. Never been there but if it's anything comparable to Scandinavian currency, I think it is, then 280 is a lot cheaper to the Fins. I mean like a ham sandwich in Sweden is like $15 US. A ham sandwich around here is like 5. So divide 280 by three and I just might like to have this axe. But that ain't real.

So, if you want to give it a try, pm with your address and I will try to get it off next week.

Thanks, ericjeeper and Finland for giving me a shot.

LeverAxe Review

Conclusions ? Give us reviews compared to the usual mauls and wedges.
Is it worth trying out ?

We manage our woodlot, some pulp ( 4' softwood), blowdowns, and the yearly 5-6 cords of firewood hardwoods, and 1+ cord of spruce/fir for the hot tub and short fires. I'm close to 2/3 done with the buck pile splitting and stacking...the tough knotty short SOB's :biggrinbounce2: get thrown into the "later" pile. The larger bucks to 18" + need to be split in 1/2 by monster maul, standard hardware store splitting mauls, or wedges before humping up to the electric splitter. So, there's near 2 cords left to split.

LOve to look at the stacks :heart: :heart: . ( We've done this in another thread)

Knotty Block

I am struggling with the leveraxe. I love the tool itself. Great craftsmanship on the making of it. And it does just what it says. But not in knotted wood. I had it going like pro. Knocking one piece off after another until you get into something that has a knot. Even longer pieces than 16"s, no problem. Not that my maul can split a log with these knots without really banging the hell out of it.
I would love to go back and forth splitting clear wood with the leveraxe and saving the knotty wood for the rent-a-splitter but for $280. uh, uh. Although I did figure that 280 is probably something a lot less painful if one is making Finish money. Never been there but if it's anything comparable to Scandinavian currency, I think it is, then 280 is a lot cheaper to the Fins. I mean like a ham sandwich in Sweden is like $15 US. A ham sandwich around here is like 5. So divide 280 by three and I just might like to have this axe. But that ain't real.

So, if you want to give it a try, pm with your address and I will try to get it off next week.

Thanks, ericjeeper and Finland for giving me a shot.

Hi
Good to see that you are getting close to the splitting idea with the LEVERAXE.
As you found out the straight wood is very easy to split. Anyway the knots are not any problem when using the LEVERAXE. I tell you why.
With the leveraxe you can hit to a side of the block without having the fear that you might hurt yourself. This means that you can take wood away be-tween the knots and branches and this way you can weaken the structure of the block. In these days I try to find blocks with a lot of brunches to get some challenge to my splittings. You see , this way I must "use my head" as well to get good result. This gives me a lot of satisfaction, too.
So far the LAVERAXE has given 100% security to it`s users. If you are looking at the price, you must realize that this is a totally new tool, patented and using totally different method for splitting. This is mostly hand made, too. This has taken a lot of money. This also gives you a lot of efficiency , security and fun.
In near future this is available to order to USA, as well.Go to my homepages every now and then to check the situation.
All the best from Finland

Sent it off to gruff4531 today. Should be getting it in seven to ten days. Let's see how he does with it. I didn't do to much with it. Maybe five logs by me and not sure how many by my helper. But I did noticed he worked mostly with the maul more than going to the leveraxe.

With the leveraxe you can hit to a side of the block without having the fear that you might hurt yourself.

So far the LAVERAXE has given 100% security to it`s users.

The lawyer in me gets the feeling that this is NOT the kind of guarantee that I would want to be attaching to my product. People will hurt themselves or others with this tool, just as they do with any other tool, and when they come to sue you for negligence in design or manufacture or for not giving proper safety instrucitons or some other innane thing like that, you will have opened the door to lose everything you own. Don't forget, here in the USA we have trials where juries award people millions for suffering an injury when they spill coffee on themselves and the coffee is, yup, hot. Imagine that - hot coffee?! Who would have figured!

That said, it is an interesting product and if the price was reasonble I'd buy one, just to thank you for sending one for us to try out.

Last edited:
The lawyer in me gets the feeling that this is NOT the kind of guarantee that I would want to be attaching to my product. People will hurt themselves or others with this tool, just as they do with any other tool, and when they come to sue you for negligence in design or manufacture or for not giving proper safety instrucitons or some other innane thing like that, you will have opened the door to lose everything you own. Don't forget, here in the USA we have trials where juries award people millions for suffering an injury when they spill coffee on themselves and the coffee is, yup, hot. Imagine that - hot coffee?! Who would have figured!

That said, it is an interesting product and if the price was reasonble I'd buy one, just to thank you for sending one for us to try out.

well its not our problem that american law system is totally ?????ed up...

Do Not Worry

Thank you very much for your consern.
Obviously there is a litle misunderstanding conserning the guarantee.
The guarantee is:
"We will provide a replacement blade in the event of manufacturing defects becoming evident within 10 years.
Damages caused by poor maintenance or negligent handling are not covered by this guarantee."
Based to my,and many others experiences, the blade always stops on the block, or at least slows it´s move so much, that it is easy to handle.
Comparing to the old, traditional/conventional (WEDGE)axes, the LEVERAXE is really much saver than any other hand operational wood-splitting apparatus ever made after the stone age.
I do not see much sense in the idea that I should bury this genius invention just because that some American opportunist should try to make a fortune with an artificial accident.
So far there has not happened any accidences, not a single one, with the LEVERAXE/VIPUKIRVES.
By knowing based to the statistics, there has happened thousands of different kind of accidences with the traditional/conventional (wedge) axes during the time when VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE has been on the market.
My opinion is, that it is worth wile for me to take the chance that somebody will sue me when I know ,that at the same time I can save a lot of people from the injuries by using the LEVERAXE/VIPUKIRVES.
Of course there may be a very little, almost non existent chance that somebody might hurt himself with the LEVERAXE, but I doubt it.
Important is, that you read the instruction booklet.
All the best from FINLAND.
www.vipukirves.fi

Lever Axe Arrived Today

I am planning on using it Friday and Saturday splitting some silver maple I need to get split up. I should have some pictures and a review sometime early next week.

PM me if some shipping info and I will send it on.

Weekend of use

Let me first start off by saying, this is quite possibly the best built/manufactured splitting maul I have used. As for the performance I would say it preformed as advertised when used within the designed use of this axe.

All the wood I usually split is maple hickory and oak between 16 and 18 inches in length and I own a brave 22 ton log splitter which I use for most of my splitting, the only reason I have been using a maul is to chuck the bigger rounds into manageable size and weight.

I first tried using the leveraxe to do this and it did not preform very well at all, but then again it isn't its intended use.

From this test I try to split off small pieces starting from the left side like it shown on the video and this worked with moderate success, the one thing I did not like was only being able to work from left to right (I usually like to work off both side at the same time). After splitting 10 or 11 24" rounds I cut my self 3 - 12" long rounds and began work on them. In this capacity the leveraxe worked much like it worked on the video on the website. I was able to work my way through those rounds in quick time.

Problems: Like a few people have said before me the leveraxe did not perform very well when confronted with knotty wood. Also when being used in would over 13" in length the performance of this splitter falls off quite a bit. Turning the off the voice of experience was difficult making the transition from using a run of the mill 8lb maul to the leveraxe took a little time.

Possible changes in design: Overall I really liked and understood the concept and design of the axe. The only possible changes I would suggest is lengthening the taper on the striking edge of the axe. I believe this would give the axe more penetration into the wood and making it easier to split wood over 13" in length. Also I would like to see the handle about another 3 - 5 inches longer (but I am 6'4" and like more leverage)

Overall impression: I liked it and when used in the prescribed manor it preforms very well. As I stated before, the craftsmanship is very good. It works better in straight grained wood, but what maul doesn't.

I enjoyed testing/using this axe and will be sending it one sometime this week.

nice write up.
I would like to get this sometime.
I have a nice pile of 18'-24' Dia. ash to finish before winter.
I will take some video of it in action.

how does a guy "get in line" ?

I think that I am next and how you get in line is by doing what you just did ask for it. So if I get it next I will let you know and then you can PM me your address and when I am done I will send it on its way.

I am also interested in taking a swing at this (no pun intended). Interesting looking design, sign me up!

It is sent on

I sent the axe via DHL on Tuesday and should arrive in the next day or 2. I was able to use the axe a bit more this past weekend on so 16" red oak. The axe performed exactly like it has on previous trys.

Came home from work last night and there it was. I will be trying it out this weekend and then sending it on its way to Moddoo.

:)

hey----where is the end of the line, Id like a swing also?

Back