Leveraxe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was ok on the smaller Dia (under 26" and 16"-18" long) oak, maple, cherry, mulberry, and locust. Once I went into the bigger Dia rounds I was not to happy with it. When I went into the knotty wood some of the splits where ok but more times than not it would shot a small piece off. Just watch that no people are around when you are splitting at times they really fly off. I will stick to my splitting maul as I like larger pieces of wood.

Hey all,
I got this thing last week.
It looks impressive. Well built, sharp forged head, nice handle & guard.
Seems like it will last a while.
I don't know how many guys have used it, but it is not showing much wear.

I got a chance to try it out last night.
My rounds are 18"-26" green ash.
I split a bunch of it in the fall and it was a bit stringy, like elm.
It splits nicer now that it's frozen. -duh
When the pieces were straight grained & no knots, it worked pretty well.
However, there seems to be a point where it is useless on tougher pieces.
No matter how hard I swung it, it would not split some stuff.
I did my best to let it do it's thing and pivot on the log.
I was using my Fiscars ax as backup.
The pieces that I could not get with the Leveraxe, were not really tough with the Fiscars.
I think this thing would be great for straight oak.
However, all my oak is split.

I will try again this weekend and give it my best shot.

It is a cool tool, and I want to find out where it shines.

Hey Moddoo, let me know when your done with it, Jonseredsjonny and I would like to try it or if ya want you can just bring it up some time this weekend. We got lots of oak to try it on:hmm3grin2orange:
pm me if ya want to get together

IT WORKS
I gave it another try last night.
This thing does perform well. I got into some rounds that had less than 3 knots. LOL
It is easy to swing and will produce large splits.
I was splitting 12" rounds in half with out much effort.
A very nice feature is that the axe stays on top of your work.
It will not pass through the round. It will not hit the ground or your foot.
This makes it safe and very easy to lift for another swing.
I used a tire on my block and it is a good partner for this tool.
When choosing your strikes on more difficult rounds, this axe likes a slightly different strategy than I am used to.
I also found it was more likely to work well when hitting the bottom of the rounds compared to the tops.
I like it and it is an efficient tool when you get to know it.
It is not the replacement for every traditional splitting tool, but it works well for what it is designed for.
I will finish my pile this week and then bring it over to Grandpatractor's this weekend if he's available.
Then I will ship it out to the next guy.

Did you try anything over 12" Dia? :popcorn:

Yep, most of my rounds were over 18".
Once I got used to it, making 4"-5" splits was pretty easy.
I like some larger pieces too, and would not be happy if this thing was only good for kindling.

1/2 of a 12" is plenty big for my needs.

Moddoo done took that thing an split! hahaha:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey who is Bogarting the leveraxe again.

Lets share so we can eventually get it back to the lender. he was nice enough to let me start this around to review the axe. So if you have it please box it back up and ship it on. Thanks

Moddoo done took that thing an split! hahaha:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL
true
Wood that is.

Gonna get it shipped out soon.
Grandpatractor wants to stop by and pick it up.
He lives close by.
Then we will get it out to the next guy.
Sorry for the delay, been in the deep freeze, and not really thinking about splitting much.

This sounds interesting to me

A very nice feature is that the axe stays on top of your work.
It will not pass through the round. It will not hit the ground or your foot.
This makes it safe and very easy to lift for another swing.

Already hit my foot this year. Only a small cut but . . . it COULD have been very serious. The leveraxe doesn't follow through and so shouldn't present the same level of risk that my axe does. The videos show less effort needed than with a maul and much greater speed than a splitter.

I used to use a maul and had to use a roundhouse swing, pick up a piece, roundhouse again, etc.
My neighbour showed me how he uses a standard 2-12 lb. axe and he can just lift and drop like I see on the video. He still has to pick up the pieces between swings but his method was so much faster than mine I went and bought a new axe but got one with an unbreakable handle since it is a 2 hr round trip to get a new handle. The axe cost me 42 smackers so the price of the leveraxe won't scare me away.
The leveraxe used with the tire keeps you swinging instead of picking stuff back up. Like with any method of splitting, I will find those stubborn pieces and keep them for the log splitter.

This has been a fine thread with lots of useful feedback. Thanks for the info.:blob2:

So, I guess it would be up to me to ask GrandpaTractor to send it to me?

I own uber-acres of Oak Hammock, and have some Oak and Hickory, Magnoilia and Sweet gum to render smaller.

Will be sure to post plenty of pics and histories.

So, I guess it would be up to me to ask GrandpaTractor to send it to me?

I own uber-acres of Oak Hammock, and have some Oak and Hickory, Magnoilia and Sweet gum to render smaller.

Will be sure to post plenty of pics and histories.

Hey GeeVee, I just got back from Florida. We put 3750 miles on the ol motorhome in 9 days. PM me with your address and we'll send it out as soon I jonseredsjonny and I get done trying it out. We missed out on the big deep freeze up here. I guess I better publicly thank jonseredsjonny for feeding my owb while I was gone.:bowdown: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back