Lewis Winch Experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expensive.

Specialty tool with a limited market.

If I had the option, I would rather put a winch on my truck or 4-wheeler.

I researched mine before I bought it and found many videos on their use. I must say it can do anything I saw them doing on the vids. It's a well built winch. I don't know what they recommend for a saw but I use mine with a 066. Don't think you need that much of a saw though. If you have a use for it where your vehicle can't go I say go for it. I also have a winch for my car and would not say one is stronger than the other.

My Lewis winch came from Bailey's in 2000 and I purchased a 394 to power it at the same time. (For several years I ran a 371 as the power but recently switched back to the 394). I purchased the 394 after speaking with Lewis about the ideal saw to power it. The newer version is even better than mine and you should have an even better experience than I've had.

I help a friend of mine mill redwood which often come from yards close to houses. We often can't get even a reach forklift in a yard to move the logs so we use the Lewis winch and a suitable anchor point. Do NOT try to run the winch unless it is sitting on a block. You may want to keep a 20" or so long piece trunk 18" in diameter for this purpose. A light wood like pine or cedar works fine. If the winch is off the ground and in mid air it can spin and you will not be able to hold it. The saw or the winch can be damaged. I have a 3' long piece of 1/4" alloy chain encased in 1" fire hose attached to the winch. The chain terminates in a swivel hook so I can attach it to a master link or loop in wire rope or a nylon sling. Most times I use a 3' endless nylon sling looped over the ball of the combo pintle hook on the back of the truck. I haven't tried the cant hook type anchor.

When you hook up the winch to a saw don't forget to turn down the oil pump to the minimum setting or you will waste oil and make a mess. After using the winch for awhile I cut 75' off the end of the rope so it would be less hassle to guide the rope on the drum. I have had to hook the winch to an anchor and pull the wire rope with the truck to get it unstuck after an angled pull. I took the winch to a rigging shop and had them put on a becket and a small pear shaped master link as a termination. A small screw pin shackle, 1/2" or larger, works well to hook to 3/8" chokers or rope slings.

You will learn when unspooling the rope with 2 people that the winch operator should always keep one hand on the break to stop a bird's nest before it starts. Trust me on that one. My winch uses a 1/4" roll pin as a shear pin (weakest link). It came with a 1" long pin but I switched to a 1 1/4" pin. The extra 1/4" in length makes it easier to drive out. You will need a supply of spare roll pins, a 1/4" pin punch and a hammer. You will break pins and it only takes a couple of minutes to fit a spare.

Always pick up the winch/saw powerhead by both handles so you don't bend the bar (if used). There are safety precautions as for any winch such as never step over or on a rope under tension, never stand in the bight, wear gloves when handling the rope, wear a bucket. Don't let kids, dogs, or anyone else near the winch/rope when under tension.

Finally you will need to develope a feel for the winch. It will pull small trees and small logs very wll but you can overload it. The pin will break and the load will slide back, this WILL happen until you learn the proper feel. Once you get over the hump you will become a valuable resource to local cutters. Have fun and stay safe.

Funny but this just crossed my mind again yesterday.

I am getting tired of pulling stumps and rocks by hand.

Any one pull rocks with a lewis winch?

I broke 2 of the nylon straps on this puppy yesterday and this is really the edge of my capabilities to do manually.

The come-a-long wouldn't move it but would put enough pressure on it for me to lift it a touch with a 5 foot pry bar and I could put some rocks under it.

I finally got it out of the ground and then I could drag it with the come-a-long.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I see many using the likes of 029, old 034 with busted oil tank (you don't need an oiler) and many other saws. You don't need much of a saw to run a winch.

Mike you would be better off with the come-along on that puppy. What you need is some wire rope and a pulley on that set-up. Set the tree saver on another tree and crank it using the pulley instead of straight on. Makes a big difference. I am looking for pics. Once you get it out of the hole and on some rollers (short logs) than you can pull with a winch.

attachment.php

Am I seeing this right?

You have a strap on both ends of that setup?

You are about to get hurt in a very unceremonious fashon, those straps should be viewed as nothing more than HUGE Rubber bands.

If anything in that setup fails that come-a-long will become a projectile and ruin whatever it hits.

Mike that isn't a good application for a Lewis winch. A Lewis should not be used to pull something that is stuck and won't move. It is like starting your saw with the chain stuck in a cut. Once the rock is free then you could try but it looks too heavy to me. A truck winch, or heavy equipment would be much better. Easy for me to say huh?

I also use a Warn truck winch, a More Power come-a-long and a Tirfor. Each has its merits and limitations. I just found out Sunday the skidder I have used blew the motor a while back. It has a grapple and a winch, too bad.

To get the full pulling power of the winch you need a bigger saw than an 029. Check with the factory before you buy regarding this. The new Lewis winches may even be stronger than mine.

Nylon straps work fine as anchor points just make sure you match the strength of the strap with the winch. Ask for a working load of at least 6000 lbs. These are industrial grade straps not hardware store anchor straps. Nylon is nice because the stretch makes the pull smoother. Of course your anchor point or points have to be at least as strong as the winch pull otherwise the wrong end moves. I use 3/8 grade 70 chain and grade 80 fittings or 3/8" wire rope or industrial type rated nylon straps.

Ratchet straps should NEVER be used as anchor straps. These are used for tie downs only. Nylon straps may have a loop or a steel ring.

Last edited:
Am I seeing this right?

You have a strap on both ends of that setup?

You are about to get hurt in a very unceremonious fashon, those straps should be viewed as nothing more than HUGE Rubber bands.

Please explain this to me.

The come-a-long is rated at 2000 lbs. Working strength of those straps is 3300 lbs and breaking strength is 10,000 lb rating.

I originally did have the come-along hooked to the tree with 2 smaller short straps that were old and broke both of them.

Back