Lift gate use for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody used a lift gate on a pickup truck to get firewood? Like roll big rounds and other pieces on to liftgate and raise it up and roll them into bed. I've been thinking about getting a used one if I can find a used one. Thanks.

Has anybody used a lift gate on a pickup truck to get firewood? Like roll big rounds and other pieces on to liftgate and raise it up and roll them into bed. I've been thinking about getting a used one if I can find a used one. Thanks.
Not a bad idea, I'll be anxious to see where this goes.

I was going to with a used truck I found for sale. When I had the loot it had been sold though. I've kept looking since then, but no deals on a box truck with liftgate, they pretty much get used up, then they still want dipped in gold prices.

I drove a delivery truck, big one, off and on for tradeshows for a long time, lift gates rock!!!! And if you sell wood, even better, palletize it and use a pallet jack. Heck, if it is a box truck, I had an idea to palletize the wood fresh split green, then heat the box for kiln drying. Dry the wood fast, kill any bugs, etc. Skip the whole stacking for a long time deal, just split, dry, deliver.

I was going to with a used truck I found for sale. When I had the loot it had been sold though. I've kept looking since then, but no deals on a box truck with liftgate, they pretty much get used up, then they still want dipped in gold prices.

I drove a delivery truck, big one, off and on for tradeshows for a long time, lift gates rock!!!! And if you sell wood, even better, palletize it and use a pallet jack. Heck, if it is a box truck, I had an idea to palletize the wood fresh split green, then heat the box for kiln drying. Dry the wood fast, kill any bugs, etc. Skip the whole stacking for a long time deal, just split, dry, deliver.
Take it one further and get a small fleet of the smaller shipping containers. Stuff em, dry em, load em, deliver from them. You'd need a custom trailer, but it'd be slick.

Sorry for the hijack.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Have a lift gate on the service truck (f350) and it's been real handy.

It would be good for the real gut busters. But if you had to carry the rounds any distance they would have been busted down to a manageable size anyhow.

We got a Tommy lift on the back of our Dodge 3/4 ton, use it for appliances mainly. I have used it a few times for large rounds at the local tree dump. Had a nice ash about 30" diameter and nice and round. I think I fit about 8 large rounds in there. Lot of nice splits out of that load. The lift is 5 years old and uses hydraulic cylinders for up and down, tons better than the old cable system. Ours is steel diamond tread so a lot heavier than aluminum.

tg_g2_pickup_011.jpg

I did pick up a used aluminum Tommy gate off a box truck that I planned on mounting on my scrap trailer, but rails stick out past the bottom of the trailer too far, figured would catch on ground going off my driveway. They are a back saver for sure.

Thanks for all the replys, now if I can find a used one that fits a 2009 f250 that I can still use my hitch also. Find one that some what close to me. Looked at pit bull lift gates but alittle pricey ,seen used full size ones cheaper and better made.

I thought about this for my truck, including a dump bed for faster unloading but when it came down to the cost vs ease vs time saved, it was just cheaper and easier for me to noodle them on site and carry them in.

That's what I want to do is save my back, iam 46 . I want to be able to keep doing firewood well into my later years. This would be a total back saver!! Work smarter not harder , I've always been told.

Thanks for all the replys, now if I can find a used one that fits a 2009 f250 that I can still use my hitch also. Find one that some what close to me. Looked at pit bull lift gates but alittle pricey ,seen used full size ones cheaper and better made.
Look at the utility companies or bottled gas companies, they use them all the time on there trucks, maybe you can find a used one for sale there.

I have 2 on my fenceline and a wheelchair type lift for a Sprinter in my barn. Couple of my bright but never get around to it ideas. I bought a scrap cube van to get the lift for free after scrapping the rest of the cube van. The wheelchair lift would work nice and doesn't take near as much space but the old no time to play will keep it in the barn for years. The lift gate will also take some of your weight carrying capacity too. Mine are likely around 200 lbs and hang back pretty far.

I gotta start selling this stuff. 1st pic is the sprinter Tommy Gate one, it is pretty much new condition. 2nd is the tailgate lift. 3rd is one of 2 truck box hoists that I thought I would use, had them for at least 6 years now. They have Warn winches on them. Township used them to lift road kill deer into box of trucks to haul them to compost site. I use them for fence line fodder.
IMG_20160414_195159.jpg IMG_20160414_195423.jpg IMG_20160414_195407.jpg

Nice cantoo, having hard time finding any used lifts that aren't attached to a truck already.

Nice cantoo, having hard time finding any used lifts that aren't attached to a truck already.

Back