Lightest Rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StealthBushwhacker

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some rope - as a recreational tree climber that treks into my climb sites I would like to minimize my weight. What is the lightest static rope that works well with the Gri-Gri 2? Thanks in advance!

The climbing gear expert at Europe bound suggested I use the 9mm bluewater accessory cord. Do you think this is safe? It says it's rated to 3600 lb/foot.

I wouldn't use accessory cord unless it's rated for 5500 lbs or more. A 2 ft fall generates enough force to be dangerously close to that breaking point of the 9mm. Take into consideration rope wear on a tree, any knots or ascenders on a rope and you might take a serious fall. I'd recommend a good lightweight arborist rope in the 11mm range. It's a good all around size. Sherrilltree has charts of weight and rope size. Check em out.

I dont use arborist rope. I use rock climbing dynamic rope and it works just as well. You should try the Sterling evolution kosmos rope. Its 10 mm i think rated 8.8 kn and dosent have much give so when i do unsecured footlocking it dosent let me bounce on the rope unless i fall.

I have 100 meters (328.08 feet; 11.2 pounds weight) of Mammut's 9mm "Static Performance" rope.
Under slight tension it measures more like 8.8mm, but works with the GriGri2. I have used this as an access line in tall trees while backpacking into remote areas.
I weigh 164 lbs, and have not felt insecure using this in rec climbing. Only one climber at a time, first climber definitelly off the access line before the second climber heads up and I wouldn't put my 225 lb. friend on it.

I have 100 meters (328.08 feet; 11.2 pounds weight) of Mammut's 9mm "Static Performance" rope.
Under slight tension it measures more like 8.8mm, but works with the GriGri2. I have used this as an access line in tall trees while backpacking into remote areas.
I weigh 164 lbs, and have not felt insecure using this in rec climbing. Only one climber at a time, first climber definitelly off the access line before the second climber heads up and I wouldn't put my 225 lb. friend on it.
How much are you asking for it?

Carter,
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply the rope was for sale. Just recommending what I carry for long hikes into steep coastal valleys when in the Pacific Northwest...
It should still be available through Mammut dealers.

Latest posts

Back