Lightweight bar ok for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enderslbz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 28"SugiHara lightweight bar for my 056 Mag, but I want to do some milling with it in the future. Has anyone had problems or has anybody used the lightweight stuff on an Alaskan mill? I'm sure there's more heat and stress there than normal. Thanks.

Let me preface this with I haven't personally tried using a lightweight bar to mill. I would not use such an expensive bar for milling. There will be a LOT more heat build up while milling and with the reduced mass of the bar, I would assume that it would be harder to dissipate before reaching some limiting/damaging temperature. Also there is a lot more wear on bars used for milling. I would rather use a less expensive bar for milling that will take the wear without me worrying about the dollars I will be filing off at the end of the season when re-truing the grooves. I would just deal with the extra weight. The mill will already be rather heavy with the frame and aux oiler, so what's another pound? Also, I don't mind a little extra weight on the business end of the mill. It makes it a little easier to balance when cutting the first cut on rails and when cutting more narrow logs. Hope this helps!

It depends how far and over what ground you have to carry the saw/mill to the log.

If the logs are on rough sloped ground some distance from your vehicle then weight becomes be important.

But don't forget that milling down slope on a log then weight is an advantage.
The few seconds required for lifting a slightly heavier mill on and off the log are well and truly repaid by the minutes of less pushing required to mill the log.
And like JW says bar weight helps balance the mill on the log.

I've used a 34" and 36" for some milling. I've been having to touch up rails on some of the Oregon bars after 50 bd ft. The GB titanium has maybe 120' on it and no burr yet. I've got a cannon 36" coming and I'll see how many bd ft I get before needing to touch up the rails.

Thanks guys. I've changed my mind in the last few days, I'm looking at the cannon bars now. I'd like to put a 32" super mini on it and run the narrow kerf I think. I'm having trouble locating a bar that fits though. Everything I find is made for the small frame Stihls. I'm sure they exist, I've seen them on a MS362...

Found one last night and ordered it. 32" Cannon Super Mini in a 3/8 .050 and a Stihl PS3 picco 102 driver full chisel chain. My mill is ordered also, so when that shows up I'll get some ripping chain as well.

I ended up buying them off eBay. The guy isn't hard to find, he's always advertising "hot saws" or "hot saw kits"

I have had no problem using a light bar milling ,they do flex a little more though

Latest posts

Back