Little black bugs in wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traditions

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I brought in a bunch of wood ,maple and birch, and after it warmed up a bunch of small black bugs started crawling around.They are about 1/8th '' long ,I would say that they look like little beetles,they fly and seem to be attracted to light.I noticed some of the maple had dark spots inside the wood when I was splitting it .Does any one know what they might be and should I get them out of the house?I never had any bugs in the wood before ,and they were probably froze for the winter .

I've never seen bugs in maple before, that's a new one for me. Some of the ash that i've cut has several bug holes in it, two different sizes, carpenter ant in the wood, and i'm guessing termite under the bark.

After a little research I think they could be bark beetles,never had them in wood before.Hard to tell just where they are coming from,they seem to appear on the but end towards the stove.

After a little research I think they could be bark beetles,never had them in wood before.Hard to tell just where they are coming from,they seem to appear on the but end towards the stove.

OK, i've heard of them, never seen them. Maybe that's what's in some of the bark that I see, they make really small tunnels. I've never actually found something in it though, other than carpenter ants in the holes they make in the interior wood of the tree.

Latest posts

Back