Little Jag of Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you asked my Dad how much wood was on a job, he would say, " Just a little Jag". A jag was quite relative, usually meant a small load. But sometimes, it meant multiple big trees coming down in the rear yard, that had to be wheeled out, with no damage to the lawn. Dad passed in 2004 and I still miss him, especially when firewood season starts. Well this is a little load. Two dead trees on my friends farm. One White Oak and One cherry, both with all the bark gone. Man, nothing smells like dry White Oak, or dry Cherry for that matter. Wish they made after shave in Cherry, Joe.

Nice Huskee splitter. Well designed.
I like the kind where the splits don't fall onto the fenders. Hard to find them nowadays.
Lots of designs out there now that have the axle/wheels/fenders right under where the splits fall. Real poor designs.

The fix for that would be, rig up a catcher/cradle so splits don't fall.

I hate picking those things up off the ground....

Nice Huskee splitter. Well designed.
I like the kind where the splits don't fall onto the fenders. Hard to find them nowadays.
Lots of designs out there now that have the axle/wheels/fenders right under where the splits fall. Real poor designs.

They have to be at that location or very near to it in order to set it for vertical splitting. IMO the best design is wedge on beam with running gear back out of the way. But then one can't get that plus vertical option. I never use mine vertically but when I was buying a new one, the 'non-vertical' ones were way out of my budget range.

I like my wedge on ram splitter. Can do all the work from one spot, which could be either side. Engine & wheels/fenders are forward, out of the way of the normal action. Wood doesn't get pushed out of reach as it splits, so I don't have to move. Just toss splits into the trailer beside/behind me as it makes them. Stuff that needs re-split gets rolled onto a catcher, rolled back on when I'm ready for it - if it gets too crowded around the catcher, I can set something down beside me on the fender. So fender doubles as a raised table sometimes.

Then if the rounds are too big, I go vertical just long enough to halve or quarter them.

I've been planning on making a table 8 feet long by 2 feet wide, put the rounds straight from my trailer to the splitter, then throw the splits on my little trailer for the trip to the wood shed, or stack right behind me. Right now when I'm splitting it is trailer, splitter, trailer, or trailer, splitter, stack. Cuts down on handling, Joe.

I've been planning on making a table 8 feet long by 2 feet wide, put the rounds straight from my trailer to the splitter, then throw the splits on my little trailer for the trip to the wood shed, or stack right behind me. Right now when I'm splitting it is trailer, splitter, trailer, or trailer, splitter, stack. Cuts down on handling, Joe.
Good idea Joe

Back