Little saw for trail clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like old homelites but PLEASE stay away from the xl2. The best trail saw is the one that will start when your on the trail 50 miles from home! Bow saw and axe are the combo I like, your clearing not making fireweood!

Since this is a chainsaw forum, I'll stay with your wish to carry a chainsaw. I know a guy locally that clears trails. He uses one of the saws I initially recommended, and is pleased with it.

Another two to consider are now "old" models, but can still be Occasionally found @ established dealers are:

Dolmar/ Makita 401
Shindaiwa 377

I would be hesitant to pay $100 for a used 170, unless it was clearly in "like-new" cond.

There are two redmax g3800avs saws on the 'bay right now.

The smallest Echo top handle is very light @ a claimed 6.6#.

The previously mentioned Makita DCS401 or Dolmar PS401 is quite a nice little saw. I MMed and retuned my DCS401, and its my favorite lightweight (8.8# powerhead). The 341 is the smaller dsiplacement version of the same saw, so similar weight, but should be more than adequate.

My lightest saw is an Echo 3450 at 7.5# powerhead. It would be basically the same as the 345 and 346, so 34cc reed valve engines. These would get the job done, are pretty plentiful, and inexpensive.

These are discontiuned saws, so likely only available used.

The previously mentioned Makita DCS401 or Dolmar PS401 is quite a nice little saw. I MMed and retuned my DCS401, and its my favorite lightweight (8.8# powerhead). The 341 is the smaller dsiplacement version of the same saw, so similar weight, but should be more than adequate.

My lightest saw is an Echo 3450 at 7.5# powerhead. It would be basically the same as the 345 and 346, so 34cc reed valve engines. These would get the job done, are pretty plentiful, and inexpensive.

These are discontiuned saws, so likely only available used.

The only reason I am slow to recommend the 401 is that, for me, they were sort of hard to find. Worth the search, however, for what it will do, in it's place. I love mine, but still would like to have a shinny 377.

I suggest a used poulan 2300, sa25, super xxl, etc or the craftsman equivalents... you can get them cheap and they are nice and compact. Never ran a homelite.

It feeds my CAD

Yes! A little used top handled poulan. I have one @ the cabin. Inexpensive, fits the need perfectly IMO. Stay away from the small top handled homies, just my preference.

Don't let it sit with gas in it.

And, best advice so far.

I also agree on not needing to carry excess weight into the brush for trail work. . . .

I will be packing the saw in on my back so I want something light.

The OP did mention carrying the saw. But it did get me thinking to other types of trail projects I have been on. Some horseback, ATV, or mountain bike trails are wide enough to allow tools to be carried in a small trailer (like a bicycle trailer or large wheeled cart). Not all. Some cross roads more frequently than others. But those that do open up more options for clearing and maintenance tools.

Philbert

The only reason I am slow to recommend the 401 is that, for me, they were sort of hard to find. Worth the search, however, for what it will do, in it's place. I love mine, but still would like to have a shinny 377.

I bought my first DCS401 after they were discontinued, and liked it well enough to get another while they were still available. :chainsaw: I also bought a couple of the discontinued DCS540s while they were available and have no regrets.:rock:

The Dolmar 100 appears to be the older version of the PS341.

With all of the positive comment that I've read about the Echo CS400, I would have been tempted to try one had I not already owned multiple 40-50cc saws. The CS-400 doesn't appear to be heavier than the CS-310 or CS-370, but has more displacement (and a higher price). The CS-310 likely would do the job just fine, and can be purchased in the box stores for $200, so probably less online.

Truthfully, one of the Poulan/Crapsman/Husqvarna saws would do the job, and can be bought rather inexpensively. I think that too many times most of us are thinking in "pure, ideal", terms and looking for maximum performance, minimum weight, and pro construction. The OP here is just looking for an upgrade from a handsaw.

Truthfully, one of the Poulan/Crapsman/Husqvarna saws would do the job, and can be bought rather inexpensively.

That's right. If it starts, runs, and has a sharp chain, it will cut!

There have been a few other trail saw threads here on A.S. - might be worth a search. Some were the top-handle-versus-rear-handle debate, and some were on inventive ways to pack/carry the saw, fuel, etc.

Philbert

The OP did mention carrying the saw. But it did get me thinking to other types of trail projects I have been on. Some horseback, ATV, or mountain bike trails are wide enough to allow tools to be carried in a small trailer (like a bicycle trailer or large wheeled cart). Not all. Some cross roads more frequently than others. But those that do open up more options for clearing and maintenance tools.

Philbert

That's why I answered like I did. For me the original question was carrying, if on the other hand you transport on something else that gives you totally different possibilities. For that I would recomend a small two stroke saw in 30-40cc range. I recomend gas because as nice a battery powered is it is much more easy to get some gas and two stroke mix out in the field than ampere for your battery or a new battery pack in case you loose it / a tree falls on it.
But even then I am a fan of low tech and a good bow saw and axe can cut a chitload of stuff at least as quick as a saw.

And since I'm out of the medical field I would prefer by a very! wide margin to take care of an axe wound compared to a chainsaw wound out in the field!

Last edited:
That is pretty ridiculous. It might work fine if you work for a florist, or for performing circumcisions. :dizzy:

whadya mean? It's so cute. I bought my 5 year old one for arts and crafts at kindergarten. She was gettin nowhere with those damned safety scissors. Plus, now she smells like ultra exhaust all the time. It's a win win situation

Maybe someone needs to make a top handle saw with a fold-down rear handle just for trail work?

Philbert

That still is very cute... awwwwwww

seriously though, Poulan nailed it with the s25DA and similar models. Compact, handle is on top but rear enough to give good control. You can use it in a tree if you need to and you can use it on the ground if you want to. Homelite has the long handle double-trigger thing cornered. ... not in any way trying to kick that "top handle on the ground" debate open.

My old poulan 2600 (2.6 ci) rips and is very light, but that s25da i just got cuts 95% as well and is lighter / more compact.

get a little Poulan Micro, I pick these up all year for under $20, usually only need $3 in fuel line and a chain sharpening.

Photo0683_zps2a084b19.jpg

Back