Little saw for trail clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work with a volunteer organization as a trail maintainer, and as a trail maintenance supervisor for about 50 miles of trails in a NY state park. Last spring I took a chainsaw safety training class so I am permitted to use a chainsaw in the state parks to clear trails. I also fix small engines as a hooby/side business, and have started maintaining the saws for a number of our volunteer sawyers. A lot of our sawyers like the homeowner Stihl saws like the MS170 for the weight factor.

I do know a couple trail maintainers who use the climbing saws, and I considered an MS200t when I started, and actually had one I picked up cheap on CL. Where I like the size, weight, power, and shape of the climbing saw for carrying, I didn't like the way it handled for cutting on the ground. I have had a fair bit of practice with a chainsaw, but can hardly consider myself an expert, and I find the stability I get with a rear handle to be worth the added hassle carrying it. The real draw of the MS200t is the power/weight ratio, and it really is a pro level saw.

Personally I have gotten most active since hurricane Sandy, and have been going out with my 026. The 026 is more than you would need for typical trail clearing, but with the huge amount of blowdowns post hurricane Sandy the extra horsepower and larger bar lets me get through more wood in a day out. Typical storm damage around here is a downed tree or three in a pile, but post Sandy there have been piles of 8-12 trees, and that kind of mess would get tedious with the MS170. We had one section of trail with around 70 trees down on one mile of trail. When we get caught up with the Sandy mess I will probably switch to a smaller saw, when I will be spending more time carrying, and less time cutting on a day out. For a smaller saw I am liking the Stihl 012 I picked up in a garage sale, if I can get it to stop leaking bar oil. If I can't get it to hold its oil I will probably end up carrying the MS170 I picked on CL last week (yes I have CAD, 012, 020av, 026, 038, MS170, MS201t, MS250). One downside to the 026 is the tank vent leaks when carried vertically, so I have cobbled an MS260 tank vent onto it. Would love to find a cheap MS260 Pro, but haven't found one yet across one yet

My chainsaw trail pack is a Kelty baby carrier which works great to hold the saw securely for hiking over rough terrain. Seeing this post finally got me motivated to take a few photos of my rig, and I will post them in a new thread here as I have been meaning to for a while now.

Joelbert,

Please post a link in this thread, if you post your carrier in another thread. I am sure many guys would like to see it.

And thanks for your clean up work.

Another thought with carrying a saw on a trail - if the use is infrequent, you can always remove the bar and chain for packing. Maybe not as convenient as a folding stock, I mean handle. . . .

Philbert

Last edited:
Joelbert,

Please post a link in this thread, if you post your carrier in another thread. I am sure many guys would like to see it.

And thanks for your clean up work.

Another thought with carrying a saw on a trail - if the use is infrequent, you can always remove the bar and chain for packing. Maybe not as convenient as a folding stock, I mean handle. . . .

Philbert

Done

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/221074.htm

++1 on the 401. These are great little saws.

339 is an XP model, the same weight as the 401, and noticeably stronger.

What about the Echo 330/360 on sale at Baileys? The 330 is something like $209 w/ B/C.

I don't have any experience with the small Poulan/Homelites, but my concern would be how reliable are they? Do they have a tendency to be finicky starters? No saying, just asking.

(Older thread bump)

I stopped by the STIHL booth at the State Fair yesterday, and saw these saws, that I had never really paid attention to:

MS 150 C-E 6 (plus)#, 12 inch bar, 1/4 inch pitch chain, $520.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms150ce/
ms150ce.png

MS 150 T C-E 6 (plus)#, 12 inch bar, 1/4 inch pitch chain,$500.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/in-tree-saws/ms150tce/
ms150tce.png

Not inexpensive saws, but boy were they light! Have to lift one to appreciate it. At first I thought that they were battery saws, without the battery inserted! Felt like replica saws that you might give to a kid.
Then I started thinking about trail use, where the light weight might be worth the extra $ to some people, who have the patience to use a 12 inch saw with 1/4 pitch chain . . . .

Anyone have experience with these models for this type of use?

Philbert

The 150 goes with me everywhere the best little saw you can buy,if you get it tuned up its even mo better

I stopped by the STIHL booth at the State Fair yesterday, and saw these saws, that I had never really paid attention to:
MS 150 C-E 6 (plus)#, 12 inch bar, 1/4 inch pitch chain, $520.

MS 150 T C-E 6 (plus)#, 12 inch bar, 1/4 inch pitch chain,$500.
I have been looking at the Dolmar TH saws just out of curiosity.

I don't get it why they are supposed to cost so much when they feature nothing special other then a lightweight underpowered power head:
- PS-222TH - 22.2 cc , 0.74 kW/1.02 HP , 2.5 kg , ~380 Euro
- PS-3410TH - 34 cc , 1.4 kW/1.9 HP , 3.5 kg , ~ 410 Euro

Being a top handle is nothing special , on their 105/108 series Dolmar figured out how to sell one and the same power head as both top (105) & rear (108) handle!

They (manufacturers) are milking a market niche! :nofunny:

Back