Loader recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a loader. I have an Avant Al 420 in my sights. It's light weight 2,270lbs, easy on the turf and can lift roughly 1200lbs. Hydraulics come in at 2,680 Psi. Motor is 20hp Kubota D722 diesel. Brand New Zero hours the sticker price is right around $30k .Looking for recommendations and/or opinions. Any information will be very valuable. Thank you in advance. - Rooster

That machine seems a little small for tree work. When I use a loader, it is for hauling out logs. I use a New Holland LS180 with a root grapple and put down Alturnamats to protect the yard. It lifts around 2500 pounds. In the $30,000.00 price range, I would get a used skid steer. Get one with a cab so you can use it for snow removal too.

Looking to purchase a loader. I have an Avant Al 420 in my sights. It's light weight 2,270lbs, easy on the turf and can lift roughly 1200lbs. Hydraulics come in at 2,680 Psi. Motor is 20hp Kubota D722 diesel. Brand New Zero hours the sticker price is right around $30k .Looking for recommendations and/or opinions. Any information will be very valuable. Thank you in advance. - Rooster

The avant 420 is for urban manicured yards with narrow access. If that's your game, that's your machine. I've heard it even goes to 36" with narrow tire installation, but plz confirm. There is a competitor, Giant, sold through Top Notch Equipment in MN and possibly others. The Giants are more 36" out of the box... Look closely at it. Regardless, both are reportedly great machines. I run the Top Notch branch manager grapple on my sk650 mini and cannot say enough good things about it, for tree work. The non-floppy end-on grapples by vermeer and others pit large opposing forces against each other, which can end badly. I would avoid them. I definitely would not get a sideways rake grapple for urban work. The bmg (perhaps HD version but check?) is a slick piece of kit to pair with the avant 420.

The larger avant is supposed to be much more comfortable, day-in day-out, since you have to sit in it (which is a pain compared to minis). If you don't need narrow access, step up above the 420 size and grab bigger wood in comfort and style...

At risk of making this a mere sales pitch for Top Notch, I think he started making oversize buckets, which are so much better than that useless thing your local guy will sell you.

Hth,
Jon

Back