Loading logs without equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
during my scrounges I come across some nice 8-10' sections of trees that would be perfect to mill. I have picked up most of what me and my younger brother can manage to load by hand. Our last log, a 6 foot 16" diameter shagbark hickory (estimated at 550lbs) was a rough time, and it was probably the biggest we could handle. So I'm wondering if there is a way to load logs onto my flatbed with a winch and some ramps.
The idea is to mount a winch onto my headache rack and reinforce it. Rig up a strap around the log and drag it up The ramps.

The "ramps" are just scrap iron I had laying around the only 8' piece of anything I had around.

My question is if I have a 5000lb winch will I be able to lift a log that's 3500lbs with the setup I have? If not what would be the max weight I could drag or roll up the ramps?

These are not the ramps I will use, I don't think they are strong enough.

I'm also open to Other ideas, I thought this up on the can, so I haven't put a ton of thought into it lol
I'm just tired of cutting up nice wood for firewood all the time.

You can use pvc pipes as rollers and give it a run see if it makes it easier to drag

Parbuckle the logs on the ramps or set up a davit or truck crane .

That was my other thought was to wrap the winch line around the log and let the winch roll it up. Apparently it's called a "parbuckle". So now that I know it will work what size winch should I get? I can't see many logs heavier than 3000lbs as my capacity is only 4000lbs. Most log weights would more than likely be in the 1500-2000 lbs. ramps are 8' and the bed is 40" off the ground.

Since you're rolling the logs you should be able to get away with a small winch but the duty cycle and amount of time required to run the winch will polly kill a small winch .
An 8000lb or bigger should be cheap enough down there but if you could score a pto winch to run off of the truck would be the best option .

Also keep in mind that winch ratings are for the wrap on the drum. Each subsequent wrap takes the winch rating down, but I don't remember the formula.

BUT... since you will be parbbuckling the logs, the load on the winch will be cut in half. And you aren't lifting them....

With your setup id would say parbuckling is the way to go for sure. Ive loaded 4ft diameter white pine logs 10ft long onto my one ton log truck using this method. It works great. Just be sure to have some good chocks so you can adjust the cable on the log if necessary...and by all means be careful when you do this...if it goes bad a big log will plant you in the ground!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've actually had thought about doing something like this in the past and this video came to mind. If I were to do this on a regular basis I think I would design something that would be modular so I could pull on to the bed from either side or front. But you can see he's not using a very large winch

It is easy to loads logs with a winch once you have some experience doing it. Here in California we do not have much level ground it appears that you do so that changes things a bit. I need a winch to move anything more than 500 lbs. In my case I built a self contained gas powered winch. If you can drive to your logs then you have a major part of your problem solved. A 2,000 lb winch could easily load a 6,000 lb log onto your truck, however it will take some time to do so. You will need some snatch blocks. Each time a snatch block is used it doubles the load capacity but makes the winch have to pull the cable twice as far. I use embankments to my advantage when ever possible. If you have smaller trees or long limbs to put on the side of your truck to aid in rolling the logs onto your truck it will be helpful. Some times I rough cut a few choice logs then take the slabs back to my yard where they can be planed. You will find that rolling your logs is much more productive than dragging them every where. TN has the right idea with loading them side ways works well. Thanks

If I had a dedicated truck or trailer I would do something like this (), in fact I have been contemplating doing one in my pickup, or building a flatbed and installing a rear roller and arch like an oil field truck.

I follow Matt Cremona on instagram and saw that awhile ago. That was my original plan but this truck is used for more than just logs/ firewood. I think I'm gonna go with a 5000lb winch. Harbor freight has one for $169.

Well this thread has got me thinking, I might just have to break out the welder as I have been rolling some ideas around in my head for a while. (lot of free space up there to do that :crazy:). I built myself a removable hoist that I'm thinking of utilizing the pockets for removable pulleys with a bed mounted winch, possibly some type of arch or gin pole setup. If anything it will make for a good post:baaa:

What are your reasons for wanting to bring the wood home in log lengths? I can see it if you're stock piling the logs to process later.
I like to buck and split right in the woods if I can. So far I have been lucky in my scrounging that I have been able to do that.

What are your reasons for wanting to bring the wood home in log lengths? I can see it if you're stock piling the logs to process later.
I like to buck and split right in the woods if I can. So far I have been lucky in my scrounging that I have been able to do that.

I want to mill it, I currently have a bunch of little black walnut logs and hickory to mill up, I also have access to white oak, red oak, walnut and elm that's 25-35" in diameter. I'd hate to just cut it up into firewood. I usually try and keep a 10' section of trunk if it's solid to slab up. I've sold some logs to a few local guys as well. My cousin and uncle are both into furniture making and have told me several times they'd buy some live edge slabs if I come across something that's cool or has crazy grain.

Latest posts

Back