locust .....is it good firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate all the reply's..........feel like I won a lottery here with these trees and it should be interesting to see how they do in the future.......at approx. 15 years old the biggest I would guess is only 4" diameter at the base and probably 20 ft. tall.

Still have little ones just popping up all over though and guess I'll just let them be and enjoy whatever becomes of all these someday.

I did take a drive around the local area today looking for locust because they are easy to spot right now with the white flowers all over them and there are actually plenty around , most patches though seems to be young like mine but did see quite a few large trees in the town area......I 'm not good at guessing heights and diameters but these trees were quite impressive towering way over the utility lines they ran adjacent to ( I dont believe that my arms would wrap around them though ). Going to be a lucky guy who get's to take these down someday.

Thanks Southpaw

Farmer where I am clearing dead/dyiing locust showed my his pride. Planted 1892 by great great grandfather was 3 stemmed each of them going aroung 4' dbh. Almost totally dead from the borer but still putting out 'shoots' He had it topped due to hazard (house and power) but "I couldn't stand to remove it, my favorite tree since a kid".

I have never seen a big locust in a grove, lots of big isolated ones, or ones properly spaced growing as a fence line/windbreak. I suspect the groves of 'little' ones are due to thier copseing habit plus type of root. They do not have a taproot just roots spreading out in all directions. Thus competition in the grove keeps them small.

Harry K

I'm noticing more more and more locust in my area since I was a kid. Actually didn't know what they were til recently. At first I thought they were some damb invasive junk. Glad to hear that they are good firewood.

We burn a ton of locust here. Dry, dead stuff can be hard on a blade, but its worth it. There's a 30+ incher out back that my family has been sighting rifles into for 50 years and you'd never know it. I have a buddy who had some cut into boards but you have to pre drill all the holes if you want to build something with it...the nails just bend trying to pound them in.

Is locust good firewood?

bearshtwoods.jpg

yes its great firewood once seasoned. can create alot of creasote if burned green. around here you can get $5-8 a post for fencing. Want to rid of them try cutting them down the dark of the moon in august. its an old timers trick ive tried it and it seemed to work for me before.:chainsaw:

The bark is almost like gas when you throw it in on a hot bed of coals. It's my second favorite next to ash.

Kyle

Back