Log haulers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another view

I actually broke the winch cable on this one, but that's easy to fix with a welder. Here, I had to back into a tight area. It was on this log that I learned to always drop the trunk on a couple limbs laid crossways so that you can get the cable under.

Non-conventioonal

OK, just one more. Here I'm using the arch in a non-conventional manner. No rules here that says you can't.

Non-conventional travel with the arch

On this day, I found that I could mount the middleweight arch on my chipper and get both the arch AND the chipper to the jobsite together. I'm not recommending you do this, I'm just showing it can be done. I could put the arch on there and secure it in under 20 seconds, remove it in under 10.
FYI: The chipper is jacked up because I had just welded a $2 mount on the back of the chipper. This allowed me to use the chipper's on-board jack, and it worked GREAT.

I'm glad you guys like these pics so much. Much good response.

Here in this pic I had to get a tree off a house. I winched it up with a Maasdam rope winch (come-along) and inched the trunk away with the middleweight arch. Once the crown was away from the gutters we put it on the ground, one click at a time. This may seem slow, as compared to a GCRS, but only took a few minutes to get it to the ground (alone). The next picture is good.

Arching out fallen, but upright trees w/ the arch

Hoist it up off the trees it fell on, hook up the arch, walk it out, lower it down.

This next pic is a really nice one too.

Standing, fallen trees with the arch

This is a shot, a long, tall cherry failed at the base and fell toward the house, but hung up in the trees. I set all the ropes and rigging on this one from the ground using the big shot and flyline, also solo.

Last photo for awhile

I'm firing out these images to you just before leaving on vacation, so I may not post for a month.

I hope you've enjoyed the images. Now, make it a NewYear's resolution to give your own back a break and make your groundies that much more efficient. Get a set of arches, or all three, AND HARVEST URBAN TIMBER. I'll leave one last post with info on this from two noted authorities; one of the publications is free, the other is to be published this April, 2003.

As for this image, we had gotten the long log onto the ground, when the neighbor stopped over. "Hey, could I get the firewood from you?". I threw a second arch on the log and said, "Yea, help me push it over to your firewood pile." which we did, and then I sunk a Husky 394 into it to make short work of it right there where it needed to be.

The link to the log-recycling authorities

And this is the other guy. Steve Bratkovitch. You can pretty much consider him the Guru, the Grand Poobah, the Illustrious Magistrate of Urban Tree Recycling. I am but one of his disciples.

You all have a great holiday season. I'll see you back in another month. warmer climates call me. --TM--

Treemachine,
I've been off line for the last week and was glad to see all your pics and how effectively and creatively you've been using the arches...
It may be a while before mine sees action again.. so the pics will have to wait...
A couple of weekends ago Big John, a homeowner, and I dropped a pretty big maple.... maybe 65' and 36" DBH. The homeowner had a big hole in he back of his property... very tight access.. no truck of loader could make it.... but we managed to get rid of all the big wood in less than an hour... which more than made up for the extra 2 hours I would have had to drive to get a big truck on and off the job, not to mention loading and disposal..
There was zero damage done to his landscape. This would not have been possible without the machine.
I too wonder at some of the lack of response on some threads.. I guess you have to see this thing in action to really get a sense of what it can do..
Keep up the good work.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Tree Machine, your pic were great! It really looks like something I could use. But my major dilema is getting the big wood out of the backyard through a narrow gate (approx. 36"). Anybody have bright ideas?

With wood fences, it's sometimes easier to remove a section of fence. I keep a hammer, prybar and nails in my truck for those occassions. Older fences go back up a lot easier with new nails, rather than trying to straighten out the old rusted nails.
Chain link fences can be more challenging to put back up, I usually just cut everything up smaller(3'-4') and use the small log dolly on those jobs unless something else can be figured out.

Chain link fences are a piece of cake to open up. Unbolt the end strap to slack off, pop off the top rails and pull back the fabric. If you need to get in mid span, just unscrew a piece of wire. The vertical strands just corkscrew into place. To re-tension there's a special tool to use. I bought one from a fencing wholesaler.

My cordless sawzall is the best for cutting nails out of old fence panels. The panels don't get so torqued and chewed up from prying on them. Galvanized deck screws pull things back in place.

Tom

I finally read through that thread after seeing the topic and ignoring it until now. I certainly think you have the picture resizing and posting down perefect now. Great pics! Great use of wood rather than just firewood. I can see you have the attitue I would have in using that thing, hey if it will work and get the job done, use it. I can think of a 100 things that will come in handy for. Can you just buy one, like the middle size, and not take all three? I can't wait to find one and put it to use. man, no more hauling wood one wheel barrell after another, just haul the log where you want it, and then cut it up. I will still need th ehot tub fo rmy back, just have more time to sit there! JB Of course you wont see this til you get back.

Latest posts

Back