Log lifting tongs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just added a boom to my wood splitter to lift the heavy logs. Does any one have any pictures of homemade lifting tongs they made for their boom. I am not wanting to spend 500 or 600 hundred dollars for the larger sized tongs.

check out northern tool, don't buy the small ones, the hooks are'nt/were'nt angled right.......
i've had the big ones for about 10 years now and they have deffinately seen some abuse hooked up to my backhoe for moving/lifting very heavy logs......
work great !!!

Another vote for the Northern tool tongs.

I have two complaints with them though.

They come with some seriously dull points, and need the sidegrinder taken to 'em right outta the box or they slip.

The frickin paint on 'em turns a Putrid Purple/Barf Magenta color after a couple years. It holds up really well though. Just uglier than hell and another thing to put on the to do list.

Seriously though the things are kinda impressive for cheapo NT tongs.
They have put up with me abusing them just fine so far.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Just added a boom to my wood splitter to lift the heavy logs. Does any one have any pictures of homemade lifting tongs they made for their boom. I am not wanting to spend 500 or 600 hundred dollars for the larger sized tongs.

I would suggest searching CL for "log tongs". I just happened to find a set that was only 15 miles away from me for $40!!! This guy had some smaller ones that I should have gotten while I was at it.
If you want I could check to see if he still has them, but I think they were only 16 inch.

I like the Northern tongs too. I had a pair of the 23 inch and they worked great....but the wood is grabbed cut end to cut end.....not around the log like is the usual practice when skidding logs. When used cut end to cut end tongs get a great bite on the flat surface of the chunk.

I've now got a set of the largest Northern tongs...I believe they are the 32 inch: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...00307445?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

I'd gladly trade my above tongs for a pair of the 23 inch if anyone is interested.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...00307443?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

I was under the impression these were only to be used for dragging and on ground use. Was I misllead on this? Thanks for any insight, Kevin

I was under the impression these were only to be used for dragging and on ground use. Was I misllead on this? Thanks for any insight, Kevin

Right, their intended use is not for lifting, and because of that I think it would be prudent to NOT stand under a log and tie your boot when using them.But like everything else,they have their intended use and what they work great for, and in this case they were great for lifting logs into trailers, on to splitters, etc.
Like Dingerdote said, give em a good point right out of the box to make sure they are grabbing good and stay out from under the load.I have a 24 incher from NT, and it works great.

Another vote for the Northern tool tongs.

I have two complaints with them though.

They come with some seriously dull points, and need the sidegrinder taken to 'em right outta the box or they slip.

The frickin paint on 'em turns a Putrid Purple/Barf Magenta color after a couple years. It holds up really well though. Just uglier than hell and another thing to put on the to do list.

Seriously though the things are kinda impressive for cheapo NT tongs.
They have put up with me abusing them just fine so far.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dingeryote hit the nail on the head on all accounts. I've had mine about 2 years ,and after using them, would pay twice as much for them. Love mine.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Pictures

Would like to see some pictures of it. I think that is a better way to go than a log lift.

Got mine from NorthernTool.. Ohh not to be used for overhead lifting. I di sharpen the points up on mine

Picture as requested:

powerhorsesplittor%20%28Medium%29.JPG

bigchunk%20%28Medium%29.JPG

At the risk of a hi-jack...

I have been playing with the idea of getting a crane for the back of the PU like the one in crashagn's post. What do you guys have to say about them? How high do they lift without the winch (can they clear the tailgate on an f350 4x4)?

At the risk of a hi-jack...

I have been playing with the idea of getting a crane for the back of the PU like the one in crashagn's post. What do you guys have to say about them? How high do they lift without the winch (can they clear the tailgate on an f350 4x4)?

I looked at purchasing 1 but after looking at them i would have it destroyed. I built mine to my own specs. Itll bottom the leafs when lifting. If something breaks itll be the soft hitch pins that break that raise/lower the boom. Easily replaceable to get a job done instead of having to replace bolts through the frame or worst.

I got both sets of tongs from Northern tool - I use them both. They're both bent now too. Sharpen the points with a grinder when you get them and use away. Be prepared to cuss if you bend them - they're REAL fun to hammer back straight ;)

oh i forgot, mine have replaceable tips also, when ya just cant grind em anymore you can buy new ones. there held in place with C clips

Right, their intended use is not for lifting, and because of that I think it would be prudent to NOT stand under a log and tie your boot when using them.But like everything else,they have their intended use and what they work great for, and in this case they were great for lifting logs into trailers, on to splitters, etc.
Like Dingerdote said, give em a good point right out of the box to make sure they are grabbing good and stay out from under the load.I have a 24 incher from NT, and it works great.
There are skidding tongs and lifting tongs. Each is different by the angle of the points. Plus the lifting tongs are heavier. (And more expensive.)
Just go to Bailey's http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17996L&catID= and check them out. They are certified for overhead lifting.

Last edited:

here are tongs i made. use them to lift logs into my truck with a truck crane. i regularly lift about 200 lbs with no problems. i lift just high enough to get onto the tailgate. max capacity is about a 24" log. grab on the cut ends only.

pat.

here are tongs i made. use them to lift logs into my truck with a truck crane. i regularly lift about 200 lbs with no problems. i lift just high enough to get onto the tailgate. max capacity is about a 24" log. grab on the cut ends only.

pat.
Thanks Pat this is what I am looking for is some pictures of the homemade ones instead of the bought ones.

Pat thanks for the pictures, rep to you for inspiring me to get a welder. Every time I talk myself down from the purchase someone shows me something that would be really great to build.

to add a little more to the detail, it is made of 1/4", and the spikes are 3/8". i had trouble at first envisioning how the thing would pivot and how the angle of the spikes would end up when open. so i made a mock up of scrap pieces of plywood first to test it, then built from that. at the time, northern had a pair i wanted for $70. but, i had a bunch of steel kicking around my garage waiting to be cut up and welded. soooo.....

thank you for the kind words.

pat.

Back