Log pile safety question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepchief

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got my first tri-axle of logs. I have always cut cheap or "free" wood in the past and used my pickup but had to get rid of it because it wasn't going to pass inspection anymore without major work. So I don't have any expirence with large piles of logs.

I cut a few of the pieces off the logs sticking out but began to wonder if I should cut my way down from the top or is it safer to work from the ground? Any advice?

I just got my first tri-axle of logs. I have always cut cheap or "free" wood in the past and used my pickup but had to get rid of it because it wasn't going to pass inspection anymore without major work. So I don't have any expirence with large piles of logs.

I cut a few of the pieces off the logs sticking out but began to wonder if I should cut my way down from the top or is it safer to work from the ground? Any advice?
You don't want to cut while on the pile. You never know when it will move on you. If you can get individual logs rolled off of the pile and on the ground to cut them up would be the best. Make sure the stack is stable while you are cutting. Hope the guy that unloaded the logs put them on some stringers first.

Do you have a tractor or bobcat ?
I cut the logs in half from what I can reach from the ground then move them to my processior with tractor. then take forks and pull down the stacked logs from the pile to the ground
I used to climb all over the pile cutting logs after to many close calls I decided for me it would be better to pull them down and cut them on the ground then fall down the pile with running chainsaw. I'm getting old!!!

Depends on what other type of equipment you have. If all you have is a saw and splitter then I would roll a few logs down and away from the pile so I didn't get crushed by falling logs then cut them into rounds and then split them. And on and on until the pile was done.
I pile my logs up then use my loader to hold them while I cut them into rounds. Then I use the loader to push them up to the splitter to split them.
IMG_00001103.jpg

Same here, though I have a grapple for the skid steer.
What model Blockbuster do you have? Been happy with it?

Do you have a tractor or bobcat ?
I cut the logs in half from what I can reach from the ground then move them to my processior with tractor. then take forks and pull down the stacked logs from the pile to the ground
I used to climb all over the pile cutting logs after to many close calls I decided for me it would be better to pull them down and cut them on the ground then fall down the pile with running chainsaw. I'm getting old!!!

Peavy preferably but a rock bar or tamp will roll, move , and settle the pile for you without a tractor or smashing your hands and arms. Always have a safe way to run/go after you free the logs up. Look at the pile carefully before moving things around. I cut what the pile will "give" me before I move things. Then I make them fall/settle. Then go back to cutting and repeat proccess when needed. You really should get a peavy↓_20150627_190612.JPGwill make life easier and safer.

I don't have a peavy but do have a felling bar with a cant hook and spud bar. Maybe I can talk my wife into getting a tractor with a loader at some point. Or maybe a trackhoe with a thumb I've always wanted one of those.

I have a pinch bar about 5 feet long that I use to pry them apart or I tie a line to a log and pull it with my truck or tractor, you just have to render it on the other side so it will roll towards you as you pull it, where in PA. are you, I can come over and give you a hand and you can borrow my pinch bar if you'd like.

I guess I kind of jumped the gun here and didn't read your whole post before I commented.
First off get the truckers to set 2 logs on the ground, pile the other logs on them as high as you can pile them. Go get your huskies and fill them full of oil and gas. Set them at the bottom of the tall pile of logs. Use your peavey to roll the logs down on top of the huskies, crushing them to bits. Then get in your prius and go to the Stihl shop and get a real saw. When you get home cut up them logs with the Stihl and split them with your splitter. When you are all done pick the crushed huskies out of the sawdust and take them to the scrap yard where they belong then stop off at the Chevy dealer and trade your prius in on a new chebby.

:lol:
306.jpg

You don't want to cut while on the pile. You never know when it will move on you. If you can get individual logs rolled off of the pile and on the ground to cut them up would be the best. Make sure the stack is stable while you are cutting. Hope the guy that unloaded the logs put them on some stringers first.
DITTO,Don't cut while standing on the pile.A guy up here(NNY) was crushed and killed when a pile he was standing and cutting on shifted.
Pull individuel logs off to buck.

Same here, though I have a grapple for the skid steer.
What model Blockbuster do you have? Been happy with it?

I've got a 14-12 bought in 2006. Has over 2000 hours only things that have broke are things I've done I'm alittle aggressive. always have more wood to cut then time to do it in so probably push it to hard.
Biggest problem are the log cradles for the splitter. The supports crack every other year went to north east forestry expo this year and talked to bob about the machine and checked out the new ones he gave me a lot of good info on things to check this month when I due my summer maintenance

Jeep, just kidding a bit. I do have a couple of huskies. They are the saws I loan out. Be careful with logs. An old boss of mine was killed when he hopped off the tractor to rearrange a log that was laying as straight as he wanted. He was using a loader tractor with a 2 prong hay fork on it, the log slide down the pile and landed on the prongs then bounced up and hit him on the head and killed him instantly, barely a mark on him.
I use forklift forks to move my logs around. Don't ever use round tines because they are really springy and can launch a log quickly.

Latest posts

Back