Log pile safety question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cantoo I don't mind having my stones busted. I wouldn't come here if everyone were uptight. I enjoy the back and forth banter. I realize that cutting wood is inherently dangerous and have a wealth of knowledge at my finger tips. Safety is important to me and I come here to humbly learn not to pretend I'm some great logger or saw mechanic.

I forgot that without a picture it never really happened. And before anyone calls me out the pickup and boat are work vehicles it would be highly frowned upon to use them to haul firewood.

Attachments

• DSC_0636.JPG
    DSC_0636.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
If you have the room, have the logger spread out the pile so it's just a few feet high.
At the shop we pile it as tall as possible, 20+ft since we have limited room (only have about maybe an acre to store logs) but I pull the pile down when cutting logs out of it.

I've worked from the top down....VERY carefully and constantly testing stability as I went.

Diesel driven hydraulics makes it much safer (,faster, and easier).

Didn't use it on the last pile pre-tractor or think of it...but I have enough straps and chains to use a come-a-long to pick apart a pile if I needed too.

Back in the 90s I had a pile at a log landing in the woods I worked that I developed a routine to "twitch" the logs so they ended up at a right angle to the pile with a logging chain, tow strap, and my S-1o.

For those interested, I spent about half the day working on my pile yesterday. I found my felling lever with cant hook very useful. It is great having the pile in my yard where I only have to cut, split, and stack it once.

Keep it simple. Take a chain or cable and hook to the back of your truck ( Prius),and the other end to the log on top of the pile. Pull it until one end is on the ground and the other end is still suspended on the pile. Take saw and cut off rounds starting from the end of the log on the ground and work your way to the other end. You wont be sawing logs laying flat on the ground and wont have to do much bending over either.

Latest posts

Back