Log Skidder vs. Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the terrain you will be skidding like? If it isn't too hilly or muddy, you can find 2wd farm tractors in the 60-100hp range for relatively cheap. Compact tractors have a much higher retail value than a farm tractor that is too big for most people.

Most of our skidding is done with a 2wd tractor when possible, and gets through some pretty hairy spots.

There are a few fairly steep ridges. About 80% of the timber/pulp is on flat or gently rolling ground.

It could get muddy, but I try not to work in the woods when it's real soggy.

That JD 110 has higher capacity hydraulics and more ponies than most of the 4000 series tractors. Drawback for me was the hoe is not removable and no 3 point hitch.

Mine is basically an overgrown lawnmower.:):)

Have one of these built for your tractor and put a 12000 lb milemarker on it as you have the hyd to do it. You will use it year round as a trailer and a wood getter.
It can be built for under a grand and will serve you for many years. This is just right for the quad and my small kubota. I built one for my 35hp tractor a while back and it worked very well for multiple logs. Of course it was a bit larger.

I still have one in the bushes for my 350 JD crawler. Makes a big difference in yarding.

Last edited:
Have one of these built for your tractor and put a 12000 lb milemarker on it as you have the hyd to do it. You will use it year round as a trailer and a wood getter.
It can be built for under a grand and will serve you for many years. This is just right for the quad and my small kubota. I built one for my 35hp tractor a while back and it worked very well for multiple logs. Of course it was a bit larger.

I still have one in the bushes for my 350 JD crawler. Makes a big difference in yarding.
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: now all you need is a horse. Hey that gave me an idea PA plumber, quit farting around with the farm tractor idea and go horse logging.

Last edited:
For only 20 loads a tractor would be a better financial decision, as it has other uses. Get a 3pt tong setup and take your time. If you want and are handy fabbing get yourself some steel plate and make skids for the underside.

The skidder will do 20 loads in a week if you ask it to, but once done it will sit.

I recently bought 80 acres that hasnt been logged in 40 years and even then they did a nice job. Very thick with 15-20 inch on the butt trees. I got a 42 hp 4X4 tractor with a fransgard winch to log it and couldn't be happier. Have to take a short log off bigger butts of course and limb up 2nd cut with those broke limbs poked in the ground,not real high production but the overheads low too. Got out 26 loads of good size GF pulp in my spare time last summer (bug trees) while prices were high. Been a good investment.

That JD 110 has higher capacity hydraulics and more ponies than most of the 4000 series tractors. Drawback for me was the hoe is not removable and no 3 point hitch.

Mine is basically an overgrown lawnmower.:):)

The JD 110 TLB does have a 3 pt set up and a 540 rear pto. Arms are extra, but are available.

The JD seems built a little sturdier than the Kubota L39. The Kubota has much better emissions and is significantly less expensive used, than a 110.

New, the JD and Kubota are similar price. Unless I can get the Cat sold, new is not an option right now.

my choice

If your terrain is at all rough or steep go with a skidder. For the money you're talking about I think you would be able to get your money back out of it. I have land in Florida and Kentucky. In Florida (flat land) my 80 hp farm tractor does the few skidding jobs I have for it just fine. It will handle a 36 inch dbh log 20 ft long just fine. In Kentucky, on my timber land where the terrain is rough and rugged and steep, a farm tractor is no where near stable enough or powerful enough in my opinion. A purpose built skidder is more stable and much safer to do the job with. In my setting in Kentucky we use cable skidders and if you have to drop the log and walk away from it you can and then winch it back in to go on. I have done it both ways and for my situation an older skidder in good shape will be a better option than a farm tractor. And did I mention much safer? Logging is dangerous enough as it is. I have had the crap scared out of me a couple of times doing this job with a farm tractor and it's not worth getting killed or maimed because you don't have a safe piece of equipment. Don't misunderstand me, in the right terrain a farm tractor will work well if it has a skidding winch on it. Just make sure your terrain will allow you to use a farm tractor. If not go with the skidder or your trac loader. Just my 2 cents.
Scott

A grapple on the front and a logging winch on the back is a pretty good rig. Grapple is good for holding a log while you saw it up then for picking up the real big ones and placing them nice and neat on the splitter. Saves wear and tear on the back

My Kubotta L4400 and new grapple:

I have a 45 HP four wheel drive SAME tractor with a Farmi 3pt Winch setup that does a great job. It does have a front loader & cab and when the snow is really deep and ice builds up like this year I put chains on the rear to help with traction. I pull everything from safe distances and the winch has a 165 ft cable. I use a snatchblock to keep angles at a mininum and also use a small logging sled when the terrain is rough (stumps or rocks). Without the winch it would be difficult do this work correctly given my hilly terrain. The rear tires are loaded with fluid and the tires are set as wide as possible. I typically cut hardwood sawlogs between 15 and 24 inch and for pulp Aspen in the 15 inch range. I am sure a skidder would be faster and provide more safety and I have thought about it a lot, but since I use the tractor year round and can go slow I have happy with my decision.

Last edited:
I have seen alot of retired from logging cable skidders made into some very usefull machines.They don't have to be left to sit after logging some timber. I have seen farmers fabricate grapples,forklift tongs,cranes,brush cutters,snow buckets onto the blade and use it to move just about anything, haybales,feedbags, plow roads. I have seen 20 ft extentions on top of the rear arch and with the winch, log home builders can erect a 2 story log home.Just a few ideas here . How many flat tires do farm tractors get in the woods? Skidder steel reinforced forestry tires sure don't have that problem. How about the turn on a dime centre hinge articulation steering of a skidder,John Deere goes one better with their electronic locking diffs. All I can say is if you can get a John Deere 640 for 6000 bucks you got 10 times the machine over a 40 hp Kubolta. Price out a brand new John deere skidder in the 640 size range. And like one member here said earlier how much do you value your life and others logging with a farm tractor. If you are used to skidding with a farm tractor you sure aren't going to hurt a tired JD 640 skidder. After you get those 20 loads out your going find alot more work for that skidder.

Last edited:
There's so much difference in the two machines, it's kind of hard to compare the two? Like saying " I have 20 cord of wood to move, should I buy a F-150 or a tri-axle? Both will get the job done. Ones going to cost more up front, and over the years with parts, maintainence, taxes?, insurance, etc. One thing I don't think I saw was moving cost - Can you move the skidder, or do you have to hire it out? 20,000 lb. won't be moved on some landscape trailer.

There's so much difference in the two machines, it's kind of hard to compare the two? Like saying " I have 20 cord of wood to move, should I buy a F-150 or a tri-axle? Both will get the job done. Ones going to cost more up front, and over the years with parts, maintainence, taxes?, insurance, etc. One thing I don't think I saw was moving cost - Can you move the skidder, or do you have to hire it out? 20,000 lb. won't be moved on some landscape trailer.

Most people who own heavy machines like skidders have an acerage or a good chunk of land ,but I have seen a few parked in the driveway of some small rural towns. The skidder can travel over 25mph and you can travel good distances with them on the shoulder of most highways depending on the local laws. If you own a skidder word gets around fast and you'll have lots of land clearing work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

I'll wait and see what develops with the 640 before making a final decision.

The man who told me about the 640 was to come this morning and get a load of logs, but had other things come up, so another fellow met me today.

I'll give him a call in a couple of days, if I don't hear anything.

I do have a price on a 110 TLB with most of the fix'ins and they are considering a trade on my machine. Have to see how that turns out, also.

I have skidded logs with animals, tractors, dozers, skidders, you name it. Farm tractors were made to farm, and should stay there. I've pulled out one or two logs along the edge of the woods when the skidder was somewhere else, but I would never, ever go back into the woods with a farm tractor.

:agree2:

i looked up the jd 110, its reasonably sized but again it all depends on terrain. define 'loads', if there's 20 tractor trailer loads @ 9 cord per load thats a lot of back and forth with a small tractor. i would love the skidder for $6000 post some pics of it if you can

Ruined tractor.

My cousin tried logging with a 685 IHC tractor. He absolutely junked it. Fenders and hood were dented, lights broken, flat tires, you name it. It was bought brand new, used on the farm for a while, then he tried logging. It was junk in about 2 years. In fact, I think he "let" it get repoed. I have a 60 horse MF front wheel assist tractor. I use it for firewood, but I would never log with it.

Back