Log Weights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow this chart helps out so much now i just figured that i was wrestling around with rounds that were in the neighborhood of 1000# no wonder i couldnt lift them.:dizzy:

wood weight

I think the chart is close for cubic feet. I do know that what I cut out here is mostly almond and a cord of green almond weighs 5000 lbs. the valley oak and other oaks and madrones will be similar weight for green wood. this is why I have a splitter with a log lift. figure the weight you move in a day if you pick it up to put it on the splitter, throw it in the trailer, pull it out of the trailer and stack it on the pile. burns the calories, though.

moving lots of wood

Three years ago, I did a valley oak that was 66 inches in diameter. I calculated the weight of the rounds (20 inches for most of the tree). It came out about 1450 lbs per round. I know it's probably a rough estimate, but the log lift on my TW6 is rated at 550 lbs and would not pick up anything larger than a quarter of one of the rounds and it struggled with the quarters. We ended up ripping the rounds into sixths and eighths in order to handle them safely. That gets out of the realm of firewood and into serious logging. for casual firewood cutting it's really stretching the envelope and becomes much more strenuous and dangerous than what one should risk for a warm fire.

Does anybody know the Cu. Ft. weight of Mulberry? The local tree service has a "log" that is roughly 14' long, 55" dia at the butt and 40" at the other end. They had to whittle away at the root flare to make it narrow enough for their saw to cut thru the base of the tree once they de-limbed it.

It's on their "junk" pile and I think I can get it for free. I just want to try and figure out how much weight I'll be playing with.

I picked up a 32" lightly used Oregon reduced weight bar & chain at the local Dolmar dealer over the weekend at a good price so I think I have the tools to whittle it down to size now.

Does anybody know the Cu. Ft. weight of Mulberry? The local tree service has a "log" that is roughly 14' long, 55" dia at the butt and 40" at the other end. They had to whittle away at the root flare to make it narrow enough for their saw to cut thru the base of the tree once they de-limbed it.

It's on their "junk" pile and I think I can get it for free. I just want to try and figure out how much weight I'll be playing with.

I picked up a 32" lightly used Oregon reduced weight bar & chain at the local Dolmar dealer over the weekend at a good price so I think I have the tools to whittle it down to size now.

What are you going to do with Mulberry?
Jeff :)

weight of wood ( few notes)

ok. I have trucked wood for 40+ years. same species of wood from different hills. vallys. swamps will totally weigh different . we have a few places here that the oak stinks so bad you can smell it coming down the road. some oak is so heavy it is like lead.
we also have white oak from some hills that is awesome. clean. straight and lite. these charts are squat from real life. calculate all you want to but when I can hadly get up beauty shop hill with only ten cord on with a 450 big cam talkin to me I know that load is a serious load of logs. thats how I know
we sell wood by the ton. have told all my custmers this. its 11 bks for the cat scales. solves all those measureing things.
and the guy that simply agree that there is 3 rick in a cord and deliver that much wood so the guy gets his 30 rick. I used to sell 14 cord loads and just raised the price . the guy was happy and he now knows he always got 30 ricks out of a 10 cord load. however he got 14 cord. paid a lot more but it wasnt the price he was after. it was the amount.
so when he buys wood from someone that actually gave him 10 cord. he is gonna squak because the last guy hauled him 30 rick. now he is only getting 24. he is saying he got ripped but he went shopping for a cheaper price.
when these guys go shopping for wood by price. its like buying work boots doing the same thing.
they get what they are asking for. ricked by a rack. I think its quite funny actually. they dont ask how clean it is. if its tops or the middle of the tree. delivered to their back yard. cement cracked or crushed. wires.
I have a special trailer that pushes the wood off the back of the trailer. I can back into a pole barn. ( inside ) see movie on you tube. alanjcox there is amovie of me pushing off a load of wood inside a GREEN HOUSE, in East Grand Rapids. Romence gardens. see what a real wood hauler does and how its done.
I have been cutting wood since I was 8 years old. communication is the key. referrals are the best way to sell wood.
I dont mind differences of opinion. its the customer getting enough wood so he dosnt end up with winter at the end of his wood pile..

Buddy of mine showed me a "Handyman Calculator" app for my smart phone. It has a board feet calculator and log weight with a listing of major species. Quick and easy to use.

I too use the log rate calculators you can find on the net. However, I know that there are variables that can make my real world log lighter or heavier. So I do a crude field check on the weight of the tree using the first block I am loading into my truck. I will take one of the blocks that I have bucked, split it if need be into halves, quarters, sixths, or eighths, with the goal of getting to a piece that according to the calculator should be around X pounds, somewhere in the range of 40-50 pounds. Sink a picaroon tip in the end and then lift it by the tool handle up near the head. Compare that to the weight of a full 5 gallon jerry can of fuel, a load with which I’m fairly familiar. How much heavier is the wood than the gas can, which is in the low 30 lbs? Multiply to estimate the weight of the round. Crude, but tells me if the calculator tech is anywhere close. Believe it has kept me from overloading my light duty pickup. Particularly helpful when harvesting big trees that have started to die or dry but parts still have a ways to go.

Latest posts

Back