Logger's day off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I've been not wandering about much, and since things might get real busy in a couple of months, I decided to go for a hike in the backyard. The Used Dog, AKA Scarnose, chose his heaviest, biggest squeaktoy to pack along. I took it away as we started up the long grade, thinking that he might need to breathe harder. Anyway, here he is at the first rest stop.
attachment.php

Some of Bob's friends were waiting for us on top of the first knob. I couldn't get them in focus. But they are buzzards.

attachment.php

We continued on with our wandering and ended up on a not too old landing on top of another hill. I had binoculars along so sat down on a stump figuring out how to launch cows on a catapult a few miles across the river.

There is a group camp over there that looked so neatly laid out. The little blue portapotties were spaced just so. It is a place where the Society for Creative Anachronism? SCA holds gatherings. They are medeival reenactors.
I thought launching cows would be true to that era. I'd wear my plastic viking hat while doing so. But it is a bit far.

So, it is back to planning a Viking raid from the river using authentic plastic kayaks. :biggrinbounce2:

We wandered back. I gave The Used Dog his toy as it was mostly downhill except where I took a wrong turn and ended up at a swamp. We backtracked and took the correct way back. Bob's friends had left.

Since I've been not wandering about much, and since things might get real busy in a couple of months, I decided to go for a hike in the backyard. The Used Dog, AKA Scarnose, chose his heaviest, biggest squeaktoy to pack along. I took it away as we started up the long grade, thinking that he might need to breathe harder. Anyway, here he is at the first rest stop.
attachment.php

Some of Bob's friends were waiting for us on top of the first knob. I couldn't get them in focus. But they are buzzards.

attachment.php

We continued on with our wandering and ended up on a not too old landing on top of another hill. I had binoculars along so sat down on a stump figuring out how to launch cows on a catapult a few miles across the river.

There is a group camp over there that looked so neatly laid out. The little blue portapotties were spaced just so. It is a place where the Society for Creative Anachronism? SCA holds gatherings. They are medeival reenactors.
I thought launching cows would be true to that era. I'd wear my plastic viking hat while doing so. But it is a bit far.

So, it is back to planning a Viking raid from the river using authentic plastic kayaks. :biggrinbounce2:

We wandered back. I gave The Used Dog his toy as it was mostly downhill except where I took a wrong turn and ended up at a swamp. We backtracked and took the correct way back. Bob's friends had left.

Hmmmm...so that's where our buzzard flock went. Keep 'em. Oregon Grown got pretty good at sniping them with a BB gun but when she started talking about a night scope I had to draw the line.

Goodness. A Winter Storm Warning is on this morning. Windy and low snowy. Sigh. Back to the heavy rubber caulks.

Keep that stuff up there if you can. We're into the 70s here with a good north wind that will start drying things out. A week of this kind of weather and everybody will be working again. We have some guys who haven't worked since last Thanksgiving and they are definitely ready to go.

I ran around the woods in a rain, snow, sun storm today. The elk left tracks in the light snow which made it easier to figure out the ways to cover ground. Our elk make good choices in trail layout. I saw 9 of the beasts today.

It is cold. Feels like November. I now have the woodstove going and cranked up. It is almost time to turn on the ceiling fan and LET THERE BE WARMTH! :cheers:

Since this is the last Saturday I'll have off 'til winter and Bailey's is having the Grand Opening of their retail store today would anyone like to take a wild guess where I'm headed?

If you hear any loud noises from down this way it will be my checkbook exploding. :)

Since this is the last Saturday I'll have off 'til winter and Bailey's is having the Grand Opening of their retail store today would anyone like to take a wild guess where I'm headed?

If you hear any loud noises from down this way it will be my checkbook exploding. :)
If I were going with ya, the only loud noise would be my wife exploding.:laugh:

Shall I send you my list? Oh yeah...I forgot, it is my wish list:cry: Have fun!

Some pictures from one of the most relaxing non alcoholic things to do. Sometimes when I'm driving home after kayaking, I'm so relaxed that it feels like I've been swilling.

Today's new rule? Everytime I take out the camera for a picture, the wind will pick up. Got some good pictures of osprey butts.

This is a reservoir close to home--6 miles. The only powerboats are people fishing. There are a lot of stumps, snags and floating logs to dodge so the waterskiers stay away. So, it makes for a good paddle. Like most places around here, the wind picks up in the afternoon. I coasted in on whitecaps.
I took out my slow, but fun boat because I wanted to take some photos. The first thing I had to do was land it on the swimming beach and adjust the foot pedals. I guess I must have had some long legged person in it last. My toes were barely touching the pedals.

Here are some photos of the scenery and such. You can see that we grow trees here, and harvest them too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got this picture of an Osprey butt. They were building a nest in that tree.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Birds seen today were osprey, seagulls, ducks, redtail hawks and various little birds. Oh, a vulture guided me back into the dock. :eek: The ospreys were yarding in sticks and building a nest. It looked similar to how a helicopter yards logs. The one I watched brought in a long stick and swung it right in.

When I got back in, I saw some folks I knew with really nice boats. Mine looks kind of ratty, but it has been around longer and also been in more water and a few "adventures".

Now, I have to unload the gear. The Grapple Cat was using that boat for a bed!

Ponderosa snag

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I did this today, pro bono for the Land Trust, the same place Slowp helped me on her "vacation". It had to be done on a Sunday 'cause there's no people around and I had to drop the tree across the road.

IMG_0126.jpg

Bug kill...dead to the top.

PA160062.jpg

Nice size and a bit of lean.

PA160076.jpg

Had to lay it down just right. They're fussy about leave trees and collateral damage.

A little more

PA160086.jpg

No damage to the leave trees. Some days you get lucky.

PA160171.jpg

The fun is over, now it's time to work. I cut this mostly in 10s for a portable mill that will turn the wood into siding. There was quite a bit of bluestain and the bark sloughed off when it hit the ground.

PA160109.jpg

Good picture of the bluestain. It wanders all through the wood. It makes for poor structural lumber but beautiful 1" siding.

Last edited:
Even more...I'm bored and there's nothing on TV that won't cost me IQ points watching

PA160163.jpg

The bark came off in big chunks...this tree was definitely done for.

PA160113.jpg

Our neighbor came out to watch. He's 85 and still runs saw once in awhile.

PA160194.jpg

My favorite part of the day. Photos and lunch courtesy of my wife.

Back