Logosol big mill basic with a Husqvarna 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudoChop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The wife proved her worth and picked me up a Logosol big mill basic for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Finally getting around to using it, been a hectic start to the new year. Some pics of my first time with it, went down the trail behind my house and found a decent spruce the forest fire took down. You can see most of it is black! Set up was super easy and making adjustments was the same, quite impressed with this kit. Installing the timberjig on the 395xp was easy enough, I did have to ream out the attachment point just a little bit to move the jig forward giving more clearance for the exhaust. Going to try milling some large birch the fire also took down this weekend.

The 395xp laughed at the soft spruce lol. All my local shop had for chain was Oregon full comp semi chisel rip, worked ok out of the box but to much dust. Using the knowledge gained from all you folks here in this section I gave the teeth a touch up and dropped the rakers. Much less dust but i'm sure I can go further, there was no signs of bogging at all. Went all over town this morning looking for a digital angle finder to get real precise with the raker angles but none to be found. Amazon it is!

Ill make sure to keep posting my progression, thanks to all the contributors in these this section I had learned a lot before even trying my mill for the first time from you guys. Still lots to learn on my end that's for sure!

mil 1.jpg mill2.jpg mill3.jpg mill4.jpg mill5.jpg

I wish my wife would pick me up a logosol!!!Nice
Really watch it when you are cutting burnt wood, it will dull the chain pretty quick and if you cut enough of it will shorten your saw life...

Hey guys,

The wife proved her worth and picked me up a Logosol big mill basic for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Finally getting around to using it, been a hectic start to the new year. Some pics of my first time with it, went down the trail behind my house and found a decent spruce the forest fire took down. You can see most of it is black! Set up was super easy and making adjustments was the same, quite impressed with this kit. Installing the timberjig on the 395xp was easy enough, I did have to ream out the attachment point just a little bit to move the jig forward giving more clearance for the exhaust. Going to try milling some large birch the fire also took down this weekend.

The 395xp laughed at the soft spruce lol. All my local shop had for chain was Oregon full comp semi chisel rip, worked ok out of the box but to much dust. Using the knowledge gained from all you folks here in this section I gave the teeth a touch up and dropped the rakers. Much less dust but i'm sure I can go further, there was no signs of bogging at all. Went all over town this morning looking for a digital angle finder to get real precise with the raker angles but none to be found. Amazon it is!

Ill make sure to keep posting my progression, thanks to all the contributors in these this section I had learned a lot before even trying my mill for the first time from you guys. Still lots to learn on my end that's for sure!

View attachment 556829 View attachment 556830 View attachment 556831 View attachment 556832 View attachment 556833
Very nicely done! Soft woods deeper cut Hard woods not so deep. You may want a chain or two for each with rakers set for each .

Never got a chance to dive into the birch logs this past weekend, should have time this weekend. Got my digital angle finder, dropped the rakers to 6.5 and the saw had no issues in the spruce. Ill keep playing around with them to find my optimal setting for that soft wood. Good to know on the burnt wood being tougher on the saw etc, ill try to make sure I get into a little of that as possible... unfortunately there is not much unburnt trees around me.

on the 395xp is there an option out there that would allow me to remove the inner felling spike while retaining the chain catch? the chain catch is attached to the bottom fin of the felling spike, and of course the spikes limit the room for the timberjig and the minimum height setting as the spikes touch the depth setting plate slightly when you drop it down all the way. Think I will just grind down the spikes a bit to give me the room I need while keeping the chain catch in place. One other thought, is there such a thing as too much chain lube? got my oiler maxed on the saw running the 24in bar, after my cuts in the spruce there is loads of oil on the bar, i'm thinking that is a great thing or am I just wasting oil with the 24in bar?

As for the wife, I let her decide. Told her my thoughts on both and said check them out and make the decision yourself, ill be happy with either one. I asked her why she decided on the Logosol and her reply was it looked so well put together and engineered etc. I'm sure my thoughts i shared with her swayed her decision somewhat haha.

You most certainly get rid of the dogs. I think on the 395 it has a roller type of chain catcher on the dogs liike you said but I believe you can get a different type of chain catcher thats made from plastic or AL that attaches in that same forward area...
IF you go with the plastic ones order more than a few as they dont last too, too long.......Or just dont throw your chain.

Back