Logosol's E8 looks interesting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
  • 12-15HP 3P electric motor
  • auto feed
  • board return
  • super wide tailed bar with a rather unique 24-tooth chain rim.
  • rail is connected to bar tip forward and above the tip so that as the load comes on the tip is supported against drooping.
  • if you freeze-frame the video when they are showing the chain, look how low the rakers are compared to the cutter length. I wonder how that would look when cutters filed 3/4 way down.
  • Picco, even with up to 15 horses pulling it?
  • solenoid for oil pump output so only pumps when chain running
  • water cooling for bar also
  • 2 bar lengths, up to about 28". Seems a shame to have all those horses and not have a longer bar option.

http://www.logosol.com/store/logosol-e8-speed-saw.html

• Seems a shame to have all those horses and not have a longer bar option.

Pretty much sums everything up from this chair...especially for the cha-ching being asked for!

Scott (electric doesn't work here) B

I'd love to see a Kill-a-Watt hooked up to that under load. I'm having a hard time seeing that pull 15hp of 3ph electric juice.

What is great about electric motors is not just about max hp.....whats great is the max hp is there straight away as soon as you pull the trigger. l think its a great idea personally. Can mill indoors too without annoying your nieghboors.

I think electric is a great option for a sawmill, but I don't see their design utilizing the available power. I have a 15hp turning center and it's made to take 1/2" depth of cut in steel. That little chain would probably shear rivets if you actually put 10hp to it.

What is great about electric motors is not just about max hp.....whats great is the max hp is there straight away as soon as you pull the trigger. l think its a great idea personally. Can mill indoors too without annoying your neighbors.

Hmmm, interesting thought.
My neighbors 12hp riding lawnmower is louder then my bandsaw mill. I can hear him mowing while I'm milling....so that sort of isn't even a problem. And considering I'm married....there is not ever going to be any logs being dragged into the house for milling indoors!
As far as max power being at the blade as soon as you 'pull the trigger', doesn't happen....there is still 'spin up happening'. If you go turn on the upright bandsaw in the garage/shop, you can see that happen.

Scott (sorry, I'll stick with gas...outside) B

As far as max power being at the blade as soon as you 'pull the trigger', doesn't happen....there is still 'spin up happening'. If you go turn on the upright bandsaw in the garage/shop, you can see that happen.

Scott (sorry, I'll stick with gas...outside) B

3ph allows instant reversal of a spindle. It's nothing like 1ph capacitor bucked motor power which is weak and only works if the motor isn't stalled. A 3ph motor will produce full power into a stalled rotor - it's what locomotives use to haul 5,000 tons of load. Diesel over electric.

And it takes how many miles to get a locomotive up to speed?
If your statement is correct, I step into a locomotive engine room, pull the trigger on full throttle, and it does 60mph.....not happening, once again.

Scott (or you show me a video of a train going 0-60 in an instant) B

That has to do with available traction, not available power. :rolleyes:

Jim (not lost in a physicsless alternate universe) T

You guys are both wrong. 3 Ph motors have instant full rated toque, not hp. Hp is torque over a period of time. Since the motor is turning 0 rpms it doesn't have full hp until full speed. Torque does the work but hp is how much work gets done over a period of time. The torque from a 15hp motor may or may not break a chain. It depends on gearing, speed of the chain, and can you keep it cool and lubed. If a chain or belt cant take the required torque you can regear the the motor output, for example doubling the speed halves the torque. The instant torque of a 3ph motor however does start loads much better than equal sized gas/diesel engines, in fact they have to be almost double the hp rating to get the same slow torque.

However SDB777 you comment about the physics of a train going 0 - 60 instantly is so far out there its mind boggling. A million horsepower would not accelerate instantly even if the we bent the law of physics and did not account for traction to the rail. You confusing the acceleration of a very light object(chain) with an extremely heavy object 4000 hp is limit for freight locomotives as that is about the max traction for a locomotive. If a locomotive was heavier it would be two long/heavy per length. So they put several units together if they need more power. The power to accelerate a load quickly is exponential greater than the power to accelerate a load slowly which is exponentially greater than the power to maintain a speed on a flat grade.

I never said horse power, I said power. :)

But when dealing with electric motors, KW ratings are converted into horsepower ratings, so there's really no way to state it differently. 10hp draw would be something around 7.5KW and that's not what Logosol is advertising it as, they're using HP so that's what I spoke to as to not confuse the matter.

FB43, I was being sarcastic(the 'net isn't very good at conveying that) with getting a loco from 0-60(besides CR8 mentioned that an electric motor applied full speed in an instant(pull the trigger = instant), I stated it took 'time'(spin up on an upright bandsaw) to get to full speed(and that band is definitely lighter then a chainsaw chain). Jim countered with locomotive(for what reason, I dunno...didn't make sense then and still doesn't now{but I'm sure he'll do some kind of 'net commando thing soon}).

Having milled just a little under 25,000bft of hardwood this year on a manual bandsaw mill does not make me an electrical engineer(and I'm not going to bother with trying to explain that to someone that has to insult me in a tagline). I know gas is better then electric for milling 'for me'(to be read as he can buy whatever he wants)....the cost alone of having the 'coal powered utility' to come out and hang new wiring for a motor that I would be scared to use while it's raining(nevermind).

Doesn't change the OP question....and my original reply still stands.
Coal powered milling 'toys' are never going to be in my yard, or house. I'd have steam powered first....just for the 'cool factor'.

Scott (I rule the tagline, others just fail) B

One thing I just observed.....tool less 'flippy handles', haven't companies learned anything from the Stihl 'flippy caps'?

Scott (thought the chain was tiny and cute) B

Locomotive was just an example of how 3 phase electric motors are used in high torque applications in the real world, and are sometimes better than internal combustion engines depending on the needs. Much of the world has no knowledge of 3 phase power or it's capabilities, since it's usually not available outside of industrial facilities. Single phase, even 240v of it, just doesn't turn a motor with the same force due to how the windings work and how there's no bucking current inherent to the input power (it's balanced across the poles, where three phase is 120 degrees out from each other).

Tagline was sarcastic. ;) No insult intended.

I never said horse power, I said power. :)

But when dealing with electric motors, KW ratings are converted into horsepower ratings, so there's really no way to state it differently. 10hp draw would be something around 7.5KW and that's not what Logosol is advertising it as, they're using HP so that's what I spoke to as to not confuse the matter.

kW in the term your using on a motors name plate is not exactly the same as a kW hour that is displayed on your meter. kW in the name plate is equal to a thousand watts, 746 watts per hp. 1 watt is the same as 1 joule per second.

1 joule is the "power" to accelerate 1 kg 1meter in one second.

Power is defined as the rate which work is done or performed. kW and hp are both measurements of power and can be converted to one another.

Torque is NOT a form of power but a static or instantaneous measurement that is represented in foot pounds or newton meters. While torque is required to compute horsepower or kW (in form of mechanical energy) you can not compute torque at a specific rpm (other than rated speed) from the rated hp or kW rating.

So if "Power" is an amount of work over a specific time, and torque is a static measurement of static or instantaneous force applied to a specific length of lever, and electric 3 phase motors provide instant 0 rpm full torque.

Therefore electric motors can NOT provide full power at 0 rpm. They provide full power at rated rpm, commonly at 1850 rpm or 3600 rpm. But then there are power factors to compare applied power(input) to apparent power (output) and tell you a motors efficentcy. Similar to the gallon per horsepower rating on internal engine.

Kill-a-Watt's show actual draw, which would allow you to calculate all of that (if anyone cared to).

Except it it shows consumption not output. Electric motors have different degrees of efficiency depending on materials used, engineering, and quality of construction. High cost motors are typically much more efficient. Just like you can't measure with any certainty power output of an internal combustion engine by fuel consumption you can't either with an electric motor.

Latest posts

Back