Logs worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This worked even better, but I tried to pull and 8' log 40" across at a real steep angle and it snapped off one of my 4X4 post. One day I'm going to make a steel box tubing gantry that will break down, it really is much faster, and since it's picking up, the log slides better. When the log gets to the trailer I just open the snatch block, flip the rope out and pull the rest of the way up. I tried this with a cheap 3000 pound winch and it worked, but real slow. It was faster to unhook the truck, and use the truck to pull it up. Sorry, I had video of the winch pulling a log up and deleted it. The 5 logs on the bottom are 8' Hickory, the short ones on top are just blocks of Oak firewood. Joe.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Mostly I like to use snatch blocks. But, this Dawn Redwood had a nice tree, with a limb sticking out, next to it. I use a 3/4 inch, 17,000 pound bull line, through it over the limb, tie it to the log, back my trailer up against the tree. Unhook the truck, hook to the other end of bull line, pick the log up, let it swing over the trailer, and let it down. Untie the rope, re rig to pull it the rest of the way on the trailer.

Or, just pull it up the ramp, Joe.

I do it the same way but put blocks in front of the trailer wheels to keep it from going forward. How do you keep the trailer from moving? Almost forgot, I also run the rope through the bottom of the front of the trailer so I'm not pulling at such a great angle - more direct pull on the log. Maybe that's the difference?

Yep, that's it, I'm pulling down enough that it doesn't move. Sometimes I do stick a chock in front of the tires. Sometimes if it's heavy enough the trailer will move about a foot, before the log starts to move, and the jack digs in enough to stop it. I have learned how much I can pull with out doing that, I don't want to bend my jack. I let a friend borrow the trailer and he forgot to slide the foot up and pin it, so it only cleared the ground by a couple inches when wound all the way up. Then he ran over a speed bump, BANG, took a big chunk out of the speed bump and bent the jack bracket a little. It's pretty tough, but now that it has the bend started, I'm a little more careful beating on it, Joe.

Buzz, I may have asked you this before, but I'm getting old and forget what I did 5 minutes ago. How far are you from Hardy County? I have a little farm in Mathias that we hunt on, Joe.

I have rights to a stack of mostly White/Post Oak logs 12/14' x 24-50+", about 30 and recently cut. No rot/hollows at all, is this wood worth selling to a sawmill, or should I just split/burn and sell as firewood?
a little late joining this thread, but several people i know who smoke meats only use white oak and pay top $$$ for it...but it can't be seasoned...

Yep, that's it, I'm pulling down enough that it doesn't move. Sometimes I do stick a chock in front of the tires. Sometimes if it's heavy enough the trailer will move about a foot, before the log starts to move, and the jack digs in enough to stop it. I have learned how much I can pull with out doing that, I don't want to bend my jack. I let a friend borrow the trailer and he forgot to slide the foot up and pin it, so it only cleared the ground by a couple inches when wound all the way up. Then he ran over a speed bump, BANG, took a big chunk out of the speed bump and bent the jack bracket a little. It's pretty tough, but now that it has the bend started, I'm a little more careful beating on it, Joe.

Buzz, I may have asked you this before, but I'm getting old and forget what I did 5 minutes ago. How far are you from Hardy County? I have a little farm in Mathias that we hunt on, Joe.
Wow, don't know how I missed this question. I'm not too close to Hardy County - see attached map with red x's/. I'm in Ohio county.

Attachments

• West_Virginia_counties_map.png
    West_Virginia_counties_map.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 6
If you can get your truck and trailer to the logs but have no way to winch or lift them try this. Pull the trailer parallel to the logs but about 5-6 feet away. Get two I beams and lay them from the trailer side to the log base. Now hook a cable to the trailer at two spots about as far apart as the log is long and run it under and over the log. Hook another cable to the firs one and to your truck, ATV or whatever and roll the log up the beams and onto the trailer. I've stacked them 3 layers deep that way when I had to on a 10 ton equipment trailer. Some loads were decent 25-35" diameter 14' 6" long red and white oak logs. Keep the angle as low as you can and they will roll up pretty easy. Do be careful if the log has a heavy taper though, the large side will move further per revolution and cause the log to go sideways if you don't watch and adjust it.

Yep, that's called parbuckling, works well with a trailer that has no, or low, sides. Some of the winches on saw mills work like that, Joe.

That's the way my 1200 loads logs onto the log bed. Gotta say I do like the hydraulic arms on my lt40 better though, much faster and doesn't have the tendency to shift while loading like the 1200.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Mostly I like to use snatch blocks. But, this Dawn Redwood had a nice tree, with a limb sticking out, next to it. I use a 3/4 inch, 17,000 pound bull line, through it over the limb, tie it to the log, back my trailer up against the tree. Unhook the truck, hook to the other end of bull line, pick the log up, let it swing over the trailer, and let it down. Untie the rope, re rig to pull it the rest of the way on the trailer.

Wow. Great job!

Back