Lombard chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the pressurized oil tank saws (Lombard, Remington and Roper) it is often necessary to thin the thirty weight Walmart bar oil five or six parts oil to one part kerosene.

Also, when done running the saw, loosen the cap to burp the pressure.

Trying to restart a saw with a crankcase full of oil is a bummer.

old 040

old040
Your question brings back memories. In August 1963 our salesman Fats Herbert from the Cincinnati branch brought a promo type of the XL-12. We were dealers from 1951 to 2004. My husband was so impressed he said he would take 50 by the first of October and if they didn't get them by then to take off one saw every day On Oct. 3, they called and had the order at Cincy. All the serial numbers started with 150 and as yet I haven't seen a number any lower. We had a blue Buick station wagon and somehow we got all of them loaded into that vehicle. Had to remove a few from the box.
I remember him explaining to us that an engineer of Homelite worked on this in his basement so other companies couldn't spy on what they were doing. When it appeared most of the other manufacturers stopped everything and spent there time trying to copy it as much as they could.
Lombard did a real good job and Remington also. Hope this is of interest to the younger generation.
chainsawlady

I get a picture in my head of a young couple rolling along in their Buick wagon loaded to the gills.[emoji6]

Well the oil tank is half full and it hasn't gotten into the crank case.

Does the duckbill normally go bad after you start running them again after they have been sitting? My buddy is 44 and says he cannot remember his dad using this saw for decades.

When I was about 13 years old, my Dad invited our church to come over to our place for an old-time wood cuttin' for an elderly couple who were no longer able to cut their own wood. There were several guys who brought their chainsaws. I ran an old C51 Homie of my Dads. One of the guys had a Lombard Commando. That was the highest revving, fastest cutting, and loudest saw at the event. That is the only one I have ever seen....and I'm 52 now!

Back