Long log with Alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My rails for my Alaskan Mill are only 10ft long because most of the logs I have always milled are 8ft long so it worked well for what I needed.

Now I have a 13-14ft log and have a question:
1.) How easy is it to move the rails part way down the log and give everything lined up so that this first cut can be used as a guide for the second cut?
I usually screw the rails at each end of the log like normal, but this log I could only do one end and would have to screw the rails down to the top of the log, start the cut then move the rails but wasn't sure what the best method might be.

Granted I could just cut 5-6 feet of the log to get my 8 footer then just mill the 5-6 footer as well, might be the best option, not sure I want boards that long anyway.

2.) Can you mill when its 80+ outside? okay, maybe more like 90+? I have never done it when it's been that warm and wondered how hard it is on the saw when using it for milling. I don't mind waiting until fall but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks.

My rails for my Alaskan Mill are only 10ft long because most of the logs I have always milled are 8ft long so it worked well for what I needed.

Now I have a 13-14ft log and have a question:
1.) How easy is it to move the rails part way down the log and give everything lined up so that this first cut can be used as a guide for the second cut?
I usually screw the rails at each end of the log like normal, but this log I could only do one end and would have to screw the rails down to the top of the log, start the cut then move the rails but wasn't sure what the best method might be.
I have two sets of 10ft rails that can be bolted together to make about 17ft rails/
This was a 16ft lebanese cedar
16ftr2.jpg

2.) Can you mill when its 80+ outside? okay, maybe more like 90+? I have never done it when it's been that warm and wondered how hard it is on the saw when using it for milling. I don't mind waiting until fall but I just thought I would ask.
I've milled a few times when the temperature has reached 100F - not very pleasant but the saw handled it fine.

You can use lag bolts with relatively big heads. Draw a chalk line tight over them and screw them down till they are level. Use a 2X8 board for your rail, as you get to the end, slide the board down the lags. I use anything handy for my rails. I have a super heavy duty 42 foot ladder. I thought about making a bunch of "Bridges" that I could screw to the log, then lay the ladder on top of the bridges. Then I could slide one 21 foot section of ladder down the bridges to mill any length. I wanted to mill a couple 40' sill beams for a log cabin, Joe.

You can use lag bolts with relatively big heads. Draw a chalk line tight over them and screw them down till they are level. Use a 2X8 board for your rail, as you get to the end, slide the board down the lags. I use anything handy for my rails. I have a super heavy duty 42 foot ladder. I thought about making a bunch of "Bridges" that I could screw to the log, then lay the ladder on top of the bridges. Then I could slide one 21 foot section of ladder down the bridges to mill any length. I wanted to mill a couple 40' sill beams for a log cabin, Joe.

Now that is just clever Joe, using the lag bolt heads to lock in the plane. I will remember this one if I ever have to do something similar! - Paul

Are you ever worried about hitting the bolts since some are probably deeper than others? Or how low do you make your first cut?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've never actually used the lag bolts, just read about them. I have hit deck screws by not making sure my first cut was deep enough to miss them. One time I was leaning on the saw making a big cut when the saw jumped and quit cutting. I had used 3 inch deck screws and I knew I was below them. Turned out there were a couple 3 1/2 screws in the box. Don't take for granted that every thing in the box matches, Joe.

Latest posts

Back