Long pole technique instead of throw bag?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleMark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I watched an arborist use long window washing poles (15-30 foot of length instead of throwbags) to raise the end of his rope over limbs to establish and advance his tie-in points. Other than the expense (maybe $100 for a good multi-segment pole--such as Unger brand), do professional arborists do this very often, and what poles do they like to use and where do they buy them? It seemed to be a quick way to advance each tie in point, getting around the small branches that would block and snag throw lines. What do you put on the end of the pole to best manipulate the rope end ? My guy used an empty painting roller wire, and would hook and raise a carabiner tied to a rope and flip it over the limb where ever he wanted.

I haven't seen it done. I'm sure it is though. I wouldn't want to have to have a long pole to deal with while I'm climbing. There are rope hooks that can reach about 15 ft and collapse down to about 18 inches. I have used those if I already have them on me. Personally I keep a fly reel with about 80 ft of throwline and a throwbag in my climbing pouch hanging off the back of my saddle. It's small, quick and works very good. Maybe in a cedar of other brushy tree that would be heck with a throwbag, a pole might be better in that instance. Then send it down when done. I would be afraid of ruining it if it stayed in the tree though. Especially if you start rigging. Yellow Jameson poles and a wire raiser hook would do the job. I do have a 30 ft. painters pole from Home Depot that's in 3 ten ft segments that I use for a wind sock for my PPG. But I've never thought about using it for this purpose . Personally since I've started climbing SRT, I don't have to worry about isolating a limb. As long as it's a suitable support, I'll climb SRT then usually swap over to Ddrt to work the tree once I'm in the top.

I do it all the time with my Hayauchi (21'). Works great especially in dense elm and ash canopies where getting the bag/line settled in is tough.image%3A21794.jpg
I hook my clip to the bottom blade. Keep tension on the line as I move the head up over the TIP, then release the rope, which drops the clip off. I then hook my clip with the tip blade and pull it to me.

Throw lining into a dense canopied conifer is virtually impossible. We just use 2 or 3 jameson pole pruner poles with a saw head. Flip your climbing line over a branch (or branches depending what's there) and pull it down. Once we're in the canopy, it is usually just moving the climbing line one whorl at a time.

All: Great feedback and ideas. I'll probably get a UNGER ED900 (30 foot telescoping pole) and use it in thick stuff (and for painting, etc.). Thanks everyone for your experience.

Back