Long term storage procedure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't know if it's actually a procedure but this is how I store my saws. I am done with my firewood and won't be cutting again till next fall, probably Bob's GTG in October.
Being we have no ethanol free gas, the first thing I do is empty my saws, I then pour in some canned stuff and fire it up and let it run for a while but not to let it run out of gas, after I think there is sufficient fuel in the system I shut off and empty the tank. I have never had a problem doing it like this. I then take the rest of the fuel and empty it into my 441, just in case I need to do some unexpected cutting. What do you guys do?
image.jpg image.jpg

Next fall as in October 2016?

I normally don't do anything, but we have normal gas here too.

Since I use avgas, I don't go through all the procedures some do. I take off the air filter and run the engine until it is nice and warm, then spray fogging oil into the carb. Once a cloud of white smoke it coming out the muffler, I shut it off. Stuff the muffler opening with a paper towel and done.

Till October?? Long term??
To me "long term would be something over a year at least.
Truthfully, if October was the target, I'd just shut it off, blow it off with compressed air, and fill the fuel tank plumb full.
But... I have 91 octane, non-ethanol fuel available at the local pump... and the only fuel stabilizer I use is what the mix oil claims to have in it.
The truth is, I always top off the fuel tank in any OPE when I'm done using it... no screwin' 'round that way... just grab 'n' go when I need it.

Personally, if'n I was you, and I already had the canned gas, I'd fill the fuel tank plumb full, run it through the saw for a few minutes, top off the fuel tank, and call it good.

I dump out the gas, start the saw, and run it dry. Even though I am using 89 octane E-free with Stihl Ultra, I still put stabilizer in the gas. Cheap insurance; you don't actually know what is in the tank.

Even though I am using 89 octane E-free with Stihl Ultra, I still put stabilizer in the gas.
Ultra already contains a stabilizer.
Usually, putting extra stabilizer in the gas (i.e., over application) (to a point) don't hurt a damn thing, but it don't gain ya' anything either... however, it does cost ya' something.

Ultra already contains a stabilizer.
Usually, putting extra stabilizer in the gas (i.e., over application) (to a point) don't hurt a damn thing, but it don't gain ya' anything either... however, it does cost ya' something.
I put it in there because of past experience with Stihl conventional oil, which also supposedly included stabilizer. And Sta-bil makes stabilizer with ethanol treatment. Like I was trying to say, you don't know what is actually coming out of the pump, only what the sign on the pump says is in it.

Why do you dump out the canned fuel, it has a shelf life of a couple years?

I dump the normal mixed gas, put in about 5 oz of the canned fuel. Run a couple minutes, shut off and put away.

I do not generally use canned fuel. I mix a gallon or two at a time based on need, and pour the fuel remaining in the saw back into the gas can with a wide mouth funnel. If it's been sitting more than a couple months, I put the remainder in my truck when I go fill it up with gas.

Even non ethanol gas doesn't have the shelf life that it used to. The small amount of canned fuel it takes is cheap insurance. Besides I have 6 QTS to use up I purchased to double the warranty on 550 & 562 XP's. They way those auto tunes are going, the warranty may be of value.:(

Why do you dump out the canned fuel, it has a shelf life of a couple years?

I dump the normal mixed gas, put in about 5 oz of the canned fuel. Run a couple minutes, shut off and put away.
I put the remainder in my 441, even though I'm done cutting for the season, I still like to have a saw ready to go.

I don't know if it's actually a procedure but this is how I store my saws. I am done with my firewood and won't be cutting again till next fall, probably Bob's GTG in October.
Being we have no ethanol free gas, the first thing I do is empty my saws, I then pour in some canned stuff and fire it up and let it run for a while but not to let it run out of gas, after I think there is sufficient fuel in the system I shut off and empty the tank. I have never had a problem doing it like this. I then take the rest of the fuel and empty it into my 441, just in case I need to do some unexpected cutting. What do you guys do?
View attachment 426277 View attachment 426278

I use 100LL and golden spectro. No problem with 6-8 months, give the saw, blower or weedwacker a few good shakes and fire it up.

I have learned NOT to store bio-bar oil in the saws. It turns into something evil.

This thread did prompt me to prep a couple of saws that are not getting regular use yesterday. I dumped the canola oil and added some straight 30W, started the saw and ran the oil through. Then I shut them off, drained the fuel and pumped the purge bulb (if any) dry, then ran the saw dry (I use E10). I may get some canned fuel for those that will sit longest.

I actually have some husqvarna brand bar oil still in, will this be ok for about five months.

I can't see bar oil regardless of brand making any difference. The only thing I worry about is the carb when storing. My dealer said the leaving the canned fuel in the carb is better than leaving dry, especially if E-10 has been used in it.

A little fogging oil might not hurt if it is going to be stored for years, then I would probably run dry too.

Back