longest bar for stihl 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24 will work on an 036, but it just depends on how much time you've got whether you use one that way or not.  Our saw logs may only be as big as your slash, but your saw logs probably don't weigh any more per foot than ours do.

My 066 came wearing a 28 but it mostly hangs in the truck while the 24 is in service.

Glen

Nice one! Pacific, you ought to try your 046 with a 28'' in hickory and see if it still preforms to you're liking:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pacific

For West Coast guys like me we are cutting larger diameter soft woods

Key word there is soft wood, throw that 046 with a 28" bar into some white oak or hickory and get ready for some pulling. I can cut pine with a poulan 'Wild Thing' and make it look easy but put it in some dead locust and good luck.

I agree. I will use a 20" bar on an 026 up in the tree, but usually run a 16" on it on the ground. It is a bit slower to use the larger bar in the tree but I prefer that to lugging around a bigger saw if I don't have to.

I routinely pull a 066 with a 36" bar up to get the big trunks down. A 46 would do just fine, but I like the pwr of the sixer, and the longer bar makes a clean slice-thru.

yep
28"s and 24"s are the norm around here,but I say but, I know a few thunder cats that break out and run Ron Jeremy bars,you no with somthin that big mite have a sore back. Sethro

rocky has basically already said it, ive a few 46s running 25"full chisel they only oil just enough when blocking big stuff you need to give em a bit of a rev in between cuts get the oil back in there i run a 25" on a 84 as well,i just keep a big bar36"in truck when i know im doing something that big ive generally organised a loader,excavator anyhow.big bars necessary evil

I have seen a lot but I really got a laugh today. A woman walked out of local saw shop with a new 460 and 36" bar.

Bill

Brain, most loggers around here make well over 200 cuts in wood over 16'' in a day so we just want to "blow through" the wood as quickly as we can so we can move on to the next one. I normally go through about two gallons a day in my 460 and its just about all hard woods. Every once in a while I get in to a patch of big white pine and then I do breakout the 28'' plus bars because of the steep ground.

Originally posted by logcutter429
We get some good ones every now and then, this is a terrible picture but still a good stick of wood

That's an impressive butt log, logcutter! Is it cypress? I lived in Searcy for 5 years back in the early 60's....lots of nice trees. I was young and that's too long ago to remember much, but do recall a nice climbing tree, a pecan...and maybe an elm, in our yard.

No rb it was a red oak, their was one bigger on this job, but it was hollow, it measured 40" and got a 33' and a16 out of it. pretty nice for Arkansas. I have some pine on this job thats bigger than that one , i'll have to see if my micky mouse camera will capture them.

If the log is a Red Oak it is one weird Red Oak. I guess they must grow different down there.

Bill

Occasionally we see some red oak around here that has butt flare like that.

Thats the 1st 44 i've had in about 8 years been using 46s, got a he!! of a deal on it and im not abit dissappointed.

Back