longest bar for stihl 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lONG BAR 046

I routinely run a 32" bar on one of my 048's [same cu.in,probabely about the same power as an 046].This is with a full skip and a 7 tooth .This is also in Ohio ,hard as a rock ,red oak.etc.It is,as been stated before,a little "sparse" on oil,for a bar this long,doesn't lack for power though[ see the post under under "collectors" thread] Al

I keep hearing people complain about Stihl's oilers not oiling enough but have yet to encounter this problem for myself.

Ryan, If you use Stihl bars and chain on a Stihl saw you won't have a problem with oil. There might not seem to be very much oil but the E-matic system does work. It's when you fit other brand bars and chain which do not have all the oil management passages that there can be inadequate lube. If one wanted to it's fairly easy to increase the displacement of the oil pump piston.

Originally posted by sedanman
Ryan, If you use Stihl bars and chain on a Stihl saw you won't have a problem with oil. There might not seem to be very much oil but the E-matic system does work. It's when you fit other brand bars and chain which do not have all the oil management passages that there can be inadequate lube. If one wanted to it's fairly easy to increase the displacement of the oil pump piston.

What is your method to increase the displacement of the pump?

The "piston" is a pin with a flat side or void that scoops oil, if the void is made larger it will displace more oil per revolution.

oiler system

Sedanman is giving out secrets!:D

The E matic system does make a difference as it holds and directs the oil where it is needed most. The idea to using less oil is that bar oil costs a lot more in other countries. By coming up with a system that uses less oil, it saves the cutter a bit of dough in a year.

However, in a country of cheap oil and gas, we don't understand this. But if the trend keeps going ( we hit 2.00 a gal today), it may make more sense.

Kind of like drill-, I mean hacking- a jet.;)

Latest posts

Back