Longwood Duel Fuel Furnace Mark VII Manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try and get the guys who pm'd me the manual tonight. I've been busy finishing our basement and painting in the house lately. By the time night rolls around I'm only thinking about my bed. LOL

Spoonhonda,
The materials I have on the Longwood Mark VII (PDF or zipped) are too large to attach to this forum. If I can get your email address, I will email what I have to you. Mine is:
[email protected]

Hillbilly Cuz

A BIG THANK YOU to Hillbilly Cuz from all of us with a Longwood furnace who don't have a user manual!! I have posted it on my server and my MegaUploads account. Here's the links to it:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
http://www.spoonertuner.com/media/downloadable/manuals/other/Longwood_Duel_Fuel_Furnace_Mark_VII_User_Manual.zip

SpoonHonda! What kinda car do you drive. I can only guess!

My name on most forums is IowaSilvia. If you get my drift!

length of wood to burn

Hi. This will be my first year burning in my Longwood furnace. I only have 16" hardwood...5 cords of it. I live in a 2,000 square foot home with a matching basement. Do you think 5 cords will be enough? The manual says to burn 5' logs. I'm concerned now, since I only have 16" wood. What length hardwood do you guys burn?

Hi. This will be my first year burning in my Longwood furnace. I only have 16" hardwood...5 cords of it. I live in a 2,000 square foot home with a matching basement. Do you think 5 cords will be enough? The manual says to burn 5' logs. I'm concerned now, since I only have 16" wood. What length hardwood do you guys burn?

thats not going to be anywhere near enough wood with that stove. double it at least.

Still have yet to test our Long Wood over a winter season, but right now with the weather being cooling down here where I live to about 38F lows and 55F highs we only have to stoke the furnace every 48 hours. our house is 5000 square feet and not very well insulated. We are also still using up our 16" fire wood. And our oil fuel is hardly being used up at all.

So, it is looking pretty good for us so far. In my opinion 5 cords could be enough depending on how well your house is insulated and your average weather temps during winter. But best to be on the safe side. Wood is much much cheaper then oil around here.

With good seasoned wood. 6 cord max. You should be fine. Unless your home is really drafty?

Hill Billy and Iowa, I know you have probably been using your Longwood for awhile as this thread was started awhile ago, but my father-in-law has a Longwood in his house. Seems to work very good and he has never used propane with it. He doesn't even turn the blower on to circulate heat. He has his located in the center of his house down in the basement. The heat naturally rises through his ducts heating the upstairs keeping the house plenty warm. Also, he never uses wood over two foot in length. I'm sure he would get better burn time if he did, but his house stays plenty warm using the foot and a half to two foot logs.

Hope this helps a little

How many cords does he go through and in how many months...how many square feet home?

Iowa is not heating 4,000 sf.

I'm heating 3000sq. Grassy lawn is heating 2000sq. Why would he need 10cord?

Last winter I went through 5 cord keeping my house 76 deg.

Don't listen to someone who has 0 knowledge of this furnace. Longwoods are a good furnace. They may not be 80% efficient but they can and will heat a large home with ease. And with less wood than outside wood burners.

Last edited:
I'm heating 3000sq. Grassy lawn is heating 2000sq. Why would he need 10cord?

Last winter I went through 5 cord keeping my house 76 deg.

Don't listen to someone who has 0 knowledge of this furnace. Longwoods are a good furnace. They may not be 80% efficient but they can and will heat a large home with ease. And with less wood than outside wood burners.

What about concerns with overheating the unit....and damaging it? Any issues with overloading with wood?

What about concerns with overheating the unit....and damaging it? Any issues with overloading with wood?

No issues with overheating this unit and damaging it. I'm fairly famillliar with the longwood having kept the fire going in it while my buddy was away on vacation a couple times. Its a hardy old furnace but goes through the wood like its going out of style! almost like an OWB.

No issues with overheating this unit and damaging it. I'm fairly famillliar with the longwood having kept the fire going in it while my buddy was away on vacation a couple times. Its a hardy old furnace but goes through the wood like its going out of style! almost like an OWB.

something must be adjusted wrong or something on your friends Longwood, because mine is just the opposite and does not use up hardly any wood.

Latest posts

Back