Longwood Duel Fuel Furnace Mark VII Manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just installd same VII,have all parts & all manuals!

just installd same exact furnace! previous owner installd new in 1980 & used it every fall,winter& spring in norfolk NE till fall of 05 when i bought for 100 bucks. sat in my garage for 6 years. your right its heavy! I guest 800, main reason it sat! finely installd 2 weeks ago 10-4-11. gasasist was on furnace but dont think was ever used. I didnot trust it & dont have gas to my house anyway, so i took it off & plugd hole leaving small draft. & just burn wood.( my manual said natural or propane) im still just learning but even without gas & little draft it still charcoles. wood be interested in propain in the future. furnace is in greatshape even after all those years of constant use! it heats my 2500sq easily, tohot when blower is running! butt hasent ben that cold yet.

MK VII manual upload link.

Sorry guys the admin here is deleting my posts (without explanation) with the links to the Longwood manuals that everyone is asking for. So, just email or pm me for it. [email protected]

Spoonhonda - I just tried the "MEGALOAD" link, and I was able to download the manual. Thanks. Seems to be an awful lot of opinions of how much wood I can expect to go through. There are just too many variables involved for anyone to make an absolute statement. Everyone's situation is different. Has anyone tried to heat water with this unit?

longwood manual?

:help:
I was wondering if you ever found a manual, and if so could I pay you for a copy?
any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Does anyone have any experience with setting one of these up. Have a manual or anything. I just picked one up and it is like new. Maybe used a season or had a couple fires built in it. Maybe none. I don't know.

UPDATE: I did a search and found someone on Bobvilla that had the manual. She had taken copies and sent me a PDF file on the entire manual for my exact furnace.

I have been reading the manual and it is quite interesting. In order for the furnace to work correctly it requires 4-5 foot long pieces of wood. It said you can use slab wood but it needs to be mixed with some pole wood! But hardwoods are the best for burning as it "charcoals" up better. But anyways. It is a dualfuel furnace. Which I just thought that the propain-ng, or fuel oil burner was only used to light the wood or to heat the house when the wood supply was gone as a back-up. WRONG. This furnace is a 0 natural draft furnace. The dampner door is closed at all times, except when loading wood. Or burning only wood when the electricity goes out. The furnace is to use the propane burner to light the wood and keep it "charcoaled" up when you need heat. The coals stay hot and the flue piping stays a constant warm temp. The propane burner is to only run around 5min. to get the coals going and then it shuts off. There is a heat reclaimer just above the main firing chamber to reclaim some heat, but they said it shouldn't be run all the time. Only if it is overloaded and it is too hot.

I didn't know that the propain HAD to be used on these units in order to work correctly! Now I'm kinda bummed because I want to use 0 propain during the winter months. I guess I'll get it hooked up and see how much propane it does use. It says that it is extremely effecient with the gas and that most of the heat is from the wood. But I'm guessing these units were made in the 80's? I looked at the serial number to see if something resembled a yr. made. The last 2 digits are 71. So that could be the yr. it was made I have no idea. All I know is it is heavy. Crate weight is 550lbs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

longwood manual

[email protected]

Nancy Knoblauch
7038 135th street west
Apple Valley N 55124

:bowdown:
We have actualy had our furnace since my husband bought the house in 1989, I had even contacted the longwood company when they were still in business and ordered a manual, it sat around for years and we never needed it.
Now that there is a need for it, my husband is unable to figure out what he did with it.
You have no idea how greatful I am that you have one.
Did you want me to pay you for a copy of it? I would be more than happy to do so.

[email protected]

Nancy Knoblauch
7038 135th street west
Apple Valley N 55124

:bowdown:
We have actualy had our furnace since my husband bought the house in 1989, I had even contacted the longwood company when they were still in business and ordered a manual, it sat around for years and we never needed it.
Now that there is a need for it, my husband is unable to figure out what he did with it.
You have no idea how greatful I am that you have one.
Did you want me to pay you for a copy of it? I would be more than happy to do so.
No need to pay for something that was given to me free. Will send it tonight.

Longwood Help

I have been installing a Longwood furnace in our shop and have gotten along real good except one problem. I can't get the auto air damper to work.It had an Adams Speedflame burner on it that I removed.Now I can't figure out how to wire the thermostat to make it work.I have 24 Volts at the relay and can get the relay to work but the damper won't open.There are two wires that came from the Adams unit that I figured was to cut off the damper when the burner fired up.So I need to know how to bypass the gas burner and just wire the thermostat to make the damper work.
Thank you for any help you can give.

P.S this is a great site!:clap:

Longwood Help

Sir,
I have never installed a Longwood, but I own one that came with the home we purchased recently. I do, however, have an electronic copy of the Longwood Mark VII manual which I will send in a zipped file from my other computer within the hour. I hope it has the help you need.

Hillbilly Cuz

Longwood

Thank you Hillbilly,but I have a copy of the manual.Mine however does not have anything in it about the auto damper,if yours does maybe that would help.

Thanks again for your help.

Longwood Mark VII help

The size of the manual to the Longwood Mark VII, which hopefully provides you the help you need, is too large for this site. If you send me your email address, I can get it to you that way. It is just over 4mb in a zipped file.

Hillbilly Cuz

Hi all. I am a bit late to this thread, but I have had a Longwood for the last 26 years. First of all a big thanks to spoonhonda for the PDF of the instructions, don't really need them at this juncture, but ya never know.

For the first few years I didn't use the gas assist, and got along OK, but a friend came by and we figured it out. If you can use the gas or oil I highly recommend it. Fires are SO much easier to start and maintain with the gas. It makes no sense to not utilize the full capability of the furnace if you can. I have never put any wood in that was over 36 inches long and have had good results with the furnace. About 15 years ago it struck me that the reason that I burned quite a bit of wood was that there wasn't much heat sink, or thermal mass in this furnace, so I loaded the rear 2.5 feet of the fire chamber with glacial erratic, or field stone. This greatly enhanced heat retention and therefore reduced the amount of wood needed. As was stated before it is hard to figure out how much wood you need as winters vary greatly. Case in point, we had a high of 53 degrees on Tuesday, and it's near zero today, Thursday. When I purchased this house it had little insulation in the ceiling and zero in the walls. The ceiling had been lowered and there was R10 insulation. This last summer I took out the lowered ceiling and took the height back to the original 10.3 foot cathedral and sprayed foam to 5 inches and then covered that with an additional 2 inches of solid foam board and then 7/8 inch OSB and will cover that with drywall. The walls are 2 feet thick concrete with a stone exterior, and have no insulation which gives an R factor of zip, less than 1. The walls are as we speak being stripped with 1X2 and insulated between with 3/4 inch solid foam and then covered with another 1 inch of foam and then by OSB and then drywall. With just the ceiling finished it is much less drafty and cool in here. The envelope is about 1900 sq. ft. and all the walls and floors inside and out with few exceptions are concrete so it takes a bit to warm them up, but they hold heat like a demon holds a sinner.

The Longwood had been a great furnace, and has been zero problems so far. My only complaint is the pilot light goes out on VERY wind days and is a pain in the azz to light. JR

need manual for longwood dual fuel Mark VII

If any of you still have the file for the longwood manual Mark VII I would appreciate it being sent to me at [email protected] thank you very much.
Ed

Need copy of manual as well.

The size of the manual to the Longwood Mark VII, which hopefully provides you the help you need, is too large for this site. If you send me your email address, I can get it to you that way. It is just over 4mb in a zipped file.

Hillbilly Cuz

Could you send a copy of this manual to me as well. thanks
ed

address is [email protected]

Manual Request complied...

Sure, I have sent it to your email account as a zipped file. The manual itself is in PDF format. Hope it helps.

Hillbilly Cuz

My longwood will work just fine. I have a manual for it and will install it correctly and make sure all the settings are correct!

Would be interest in seeing your manual. Could you please e-mail me at [email protected]

We have a stove. Just don't know how to put all of the parts together.

Thank you

Manual?

I am in need of a copy of the Longwood stove manual to get ours inspected so we can start using it this winter. I would very greatly appreciate it if anyone could email me a copy to [email protected] :) Thanks very much in advance!

Latest posts

Back