Longwood Duel Fuel Furnace Mark VII Manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi johnisdone! I used granite, it is piled next to fields all around here. You just drive up to a fence line and load up as many as you like. Since you just joined today and it doesn't have your location, I don't know if that is an option for you. You need a type of rock which is igneous, or heat tolerant. Limestone for instance would be a poor choice as it has moisture in it and will literally explode and make a mess. Best of luck and welcome to the site. JR

Hi jra1100:

I live in Kalamazoo, MI. I collected tons of stones out of our field last year. They seem more like river rock than anything else. Will this work, or do I need to find some granite?

jid hard to say, not seeing them. I's start a camp fire and throw some in and see if they crack and or explode. The explosion won't be big, just something that you don't want happening in your wood burner. JR

jid hard to say, not seeing them. I's start a camp fire and throw some in and see if they crack and or explode. The explosion won't be big, just something that you don't want happening in your wood burner. JR

I got some granite counter top scraps from a local wholesaler. Do you think that is good enough?

If any one has a manual for the v11 I just had one given to me. Its in real good shape but the wiring is messed up if you could plz email me a copy to [email protected] It would be greatly appreciated thanx.

Does anyone have any experience with setting one of these up. Have a manual or anything. I just picked one up and it is like new. Maybe used a season or had a couple fires built in it. Maybe none. I don't know.

UPDATE: I did a search and found someone on Bobvilla that had the manual. She had taken copies and sent me a PDF file on the entire manual for my exact furnace.

I have been reading the manual and it is quite interesting. In order for the furnace to work correctly it requires 4-5 foot long pieces of wood. It said you can use slab wood but it needs to be mixed with some pole wood! But hardwoods are the best for burning as it "charcoals" up better. But anyways. It is a dualfuel furnace. Which I just thought that the propain-ng, or fuel oil burner was only used to light the wood or to heat the house when the wood supply was gone as a back-up. WRONG. This furnace is a 0 natural draft furnace. The dampner door is closed at all times, except when loading wood. Or burning only wood when the electricity goes out. The furnace is to use the propane burner to light the wood and keep it "charcoaled" up when you need heat. The coals stay hot and the flue piping stays a constant warm temp. The propane burner is to only run around 5min. to get the coals going and then it shuts off. There is a heat reclaimer just above the main firing chamber to reclaim some heat, but they said it shouldn't be run all the time. Only if it is overloaded and it is too hot.

I didn't know that the propain HAD to be used on these units in order to work correctly! Now I'm kinda bummed because I want to use 0 propain during the winter months. I guess I'll get it hooked up and see how much propane it does use. It says that it is extremely effecient with the gas and that most of the heat is from the wood. But I'm guessing these units were made in the 80's? I looked at the serial number to see if something resembled a yr. made. The last 2 digits are 71. So that could be the yr. it was made I have no idea. All I know is it is heavy. Crate weight is 550lbs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Can you send me a copy of that manual and did you eliminate the propane injection?

Back