Look - Five New Baby Giants!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granddaughter's Arbor Day tree from last year.
Red oak.
5855d14ae8cde2f7bc7d445faf19c81c.jpg

Was doing very well until the kid I hired got too close and it sucked under his mower.

That was three weeks ago.

Now look!
62585f5c402c5bd380e942a31a6d75a1.jpg

Twerp is coming up from the stub.[emoji106]

Looks like it's got a marker light perched on it this time around!

Five baby giant sequoia up for adoption... anyone interested?
DSC02043.JPG DSC02044.JPG

Two of the three I ordered online and planted last fall have all but died... realizing this isn't the best climate/location for these trees. "They" say they'll grow here, but mine aren't.
Seriously, if anyone wants these, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll be happy to ship them out to you.

Granddaughter's Arbor Day tree from last year.
Red oak.
5855d14ae8cde2f7bc7d445faf19c81c.jpg

Was doing very well until the kid I hired got too close and it sucked under his mower.

That was three weeks ago.

Now look!
62585f5c402c5bd380e942a31a6d75a1.jpg

Twerp is coming up from the stub.[emoji106]

Yet again the twerp got nipped off by a squirrel this time. (****** tree rats!)

But there was enuff left and rain to keep him going.

9e73bfa6cfc87ccf3be9ea7ca6f75b79.jpg

A little off topic, we have a few Metasequoia (Dawn Redwood) around here. They were popular as ornamentals in the 50's and 60's. Still so a little. Every now and then some one would buy a new house in the winter, and call us, saying they had a big dead Pine in their yard that needed removing. We would go out to give an estimate and it would be a Metasequoia. We would tell the homeowner that the tree "Was Not" a Pine, and it "Was Not" dead! It was a type of Redwood and it looses it's needles in the winter. My inlaws neighbor planted 3 of them about 20-25 years ago and they are all 50-60 feet tall and close to 3 feet at the base, Joe.

I'm giving up on that species growing in my yard. Bad luck, or bad growing conditions, I don't know, but all three that I ordered and planted have died.
Oh well, plenty more trees on the planet to pick from.:)

People can be real assholes. :angry:

Yes, that's what my trees are.
I don't live in a subdivision and have one neighbor near my property line... and the waterline runs between us, so I won't be planting on that side of the property.
I do, always, look into the future whenever I plant something in my yard, seeing in my minds eye what it will look like fifty, or a hundred years from now.
However, beyond that, I have no control over the future and most especially after I'm dead and gone.
If the next property owner after me wants to cut these down, so be it.
I just might come back and haunt them though. :D

I know I am limited to how many I can plant on my 2.5 acres.
I might secretly plant them elsewhere. ;)

Actually, you CAN exert some control over the future even after you're dead and gone - conservation easement. I'm assuming your state/county have this option available. What goes into the easement is up to you. I'm working up a conservation easement on my 50 acres, that it can never be subdivided, no hunting, and a date before which my walnut planting may not be harvested for lumber. Conservation easements do reduce the market/resale value of the land, but that can be to your advantage if your county assessor will honor the easement when setting taxable value of the property.

I admire you and your little trees!

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

I planted 50 Sequoias and 100 redwoods on one coastal Oregon property I had.
I'm excited just to imagine what they may look like in 400 years, and they're already 40' and skying upward.

sWE8ptL.jpg

I love that quote, thanks for sharing.

Btw, I was able to order some trees from the Forestry Department last fall: 25 white pine, 25 yellow poplar, and 25 white oak. I planted 55 before I literally ran out of room...
The oak and poplar are doing better than I expected for a spring planting and most of the pine are hanging in there, I lost a few.

I love that quote, thanks for sharing.

Btw, I was able to order some trees from the Forestry Department last fall: 25 white pine, 25 yellow poplar, and 25 white oak. I planted 55 before I literally ran out of room...
The oak and poplar are doing better than I expected for a spring planting and most of the pine are hanging in there, I lost a few.
Where have you been? we been askin about you. good to see you postin again.

Ropensaddle, every year weed gets planted in the flower gardens at our statehouse in Montpelier. No big deal , the gardeners just quietly remove the plants as they find them, but the news people always get a story out of it.
Then there was the saga of the new decals that got put on the doors of the State Police cruisers https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...nt-inmates-hide-image-of-pig-on-police-decals
It took four years before someone spotted it; or at least spoke up that they had............................

Back