looking at firewood processors...nothing really tickles my fancy...what have you run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercreek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so, i started looking at firewood processors the other day.
it NEEDS to be a live deck model. no homeowner type winch crap or a chomper.
I have excavators, loaders, skidsteers, loading it is no problem.
Id LIKE to have a integrated conveyor so its portable.
Primary use:
Campground pine firewood for sale
Family use, supplying 3 households with wood
possible side bussiness processing for friends.(layed off in the winter, so why not?)
so while SPLIT quaility or sizing isnt that important,
i want something that WORKS!!
i dont want to be reaching into the splitter box clearing jams all the time.
as long as a piece is cut, and falls into the splitter box and comes out, im happy, not too worried about size.

what have you guys run and what did you like/ dislike??
Im hearing alot about barsaw/ vs slasher wheel, and everyone i talk to say wheel hands down. hardly ever needs sharpening.
this is the direction i wanted to go, they just get pricey, FAST.
not looking to buy a homebuilt unit, Id either buy name brand, or build my own.
so looking at them all, id say the splitter box is the killer for most. seems this is the part to watch out for, as it either works or it dont.
why own a processor if your hand is still touching every other piece of wood?

I have ran a blockbuster but wasnt impressed. Good machine, but saw was just to slow. Ran a Cordking with circle saw, fast machine, but expensive. Also ran a Builtrite, again slow saw. Both the Blockbuster and the Builtright where older model processor's with 25hp gas engines. I think they are probably a littler better now. All three machines will work, and all three are limited to the size of wood they can process. If you have big wood to process, its either a real expensive processor, or a chainsaw and regular wood splitter. It all depends on what the actual need is as to what type of machine you buy. Most of the smaller processors are limited to 20in dia, some go up to 24, and those sizes will take care of the majority of firewood sized wood.

Bar vs slasher, no doubt the slasher will stay sharp longer than a chain, but I can buy a lot of chains for the price of one wheel. Its not just the cost of the circle saw that drives the cost of a processor up, it just plain takes more hp and bigger pumps to turn one of those saws. If max production day in and day out is the goal, then buy the circle saw, if your only doing a few cords a year, I would go for the bar and chain.

I have run a Dyna SC-16, but only for an hour. Not nearly enough time to make a judgement, and no other experience to compare it to.
I would suggest renting one, or running one before buying. Especially with that amount of money required to get into a machine. Pay attention to how the machine deals with the last cut of each log. That's what a lot of videos do not show, how the last piece clamps/cuts, and how well it falls into the splitter trough. Paul Bunyan Show is coming up soon in Ohio and I'm sure most USA and Canadian processor companies will be there. Another item to look at is the splitter trough itself. I've never seen one but the Eastonmade splitters have a raised log cradle. I think that would allow the splitter head to be lowered if necessary without having to manually clear the splits first. If I split with the four-way raised on the TW-6, I could not lower it without removing the lower splits first. If the log is cradled higher to begin with it looks like a good set up. Another assumption is that Eastonmade is connected with Bell, and if so, they may have a similar set up on their processors. Never seen one though.

I have run a lot of splitters/processors, from a 5hp single wedge horizontal splitter to a 110hp circular blade 50 ton processor. Everyone has had their advantages and disadvantages. A lot really depends on the quality/quantity/size of the logs you want to cut, how many cords you intend to produce, how fast you want to get it done, how much support equipment you have and what your customers expect the finished product to look like. Best machine I have found that balances all of these factors is the timber devil/powersplit. I have posted this video before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJ4YmxJuFY

As far a chain vs a circular blade, the blade wins hands down as long as you don’t hit anything. Any sort of steel will chip away at the carbide teeth on the circular saw. Once enough teeth get destroyed, the saw speed slows way down to the point that the saw will actually stop and bind mid cut. Not good with 110hp diesel. To replace the teeth or shanks is a costly, time consuming project.

We have a dyna sc14. Max log diameter of 20". Does a good job and sure beats a splitter. But we get a lot of wood that's too big for it and still have to split with inverted splitter on the skid steer and then onto the tw6. Have never run any other processor but have researched crd, bells, cord king and multitek extensively. My impression from online research is this:

CRD- a lot of machine for the money, but I've heard some problems with durability on the wedges.

Multitek- Cadillac machines with a price to match.

Bells- seem to be fairly equivalent to the cordking but pricing is higher for an equivalent machine.

Cord king- well built, the lifetime splitting chamber warranty sounds really good, and they seem to be very customer service oriented. I didn't buy a machine from them but they were very prompt at returning emails, bob stayed on the phone with me well over an hour discussing options and specs.

Keep in mind this is all based on online research, emails and phone calls. Being in the south it's hard to find a machine to actually lay hands on within reasonable driving distance. If you can get to actually run a couple machines I'm sure that would tell you a lot more.

I'm interested to hear more about the Dyna SC 14. They are built about one hundred miles north of me.

If you have Facebook look up Palmers Firewood. We have several videos of it running.

We've had a few minor problems with it running it over the last year but nothing major. Where the hydraulic line for the saw comes up to the motor the line rubs against a sharp metal edge and it could have rubbed in two, but we split a piece of old garden hose and zip tied it over that section to keep from rubbing the hose. And a few weeks ago a piece that we flipped back over to split again hit the saw motor and broke the bolt that holds the pillar bearing for the saw rotation, had to have the pillar bearing drilled and retapped for a larger bolt.

Overall it's a good machine, you just have to keep in mind that it's not as heavy built of a machine as the CRD woodbine, cord king MS or Bells machines. But for the price we paid for it as a slightly used machine it was a good investment to reduce labor and speed production. Basically it cuts labor in half to process the same amount of wood. As long as you have the logs <20" diameter.

Sandhill crane, i really like the dyna, i think they are the best bang for the buck, and i think they cut much faster then a built rite.
I actually just put a cord thru a sc-14 yesterday and i was impressed at its speed, its ease of resplit, and operator position.
I was not impressed with how choked up the live deck is to the operator station. Running 16' most buts passed over the controls. Seems designed for smaller wood 14" minus diameter. I had like a 16" and it touched the chainsaw coming thru the shields.
So im curious what the model number implies, because on several dyna videos they do a flyover of units fresh out of paint, and it seems every model grows 2ft longer trailer wise.
So will a sc-16 handle longer logs better? I see the diameter goed up, has a 25" bar and handles 22" wood they claim.
I was looking for a dyna sc15, but theres none avail, a 14 just sold by me in a week,
I have a line on a 14 diesel, but i also know where theres a sc 16 older diesel, and im thinking thats probably the way to go. The 14 seems like it just squeeks buy up here in maine where they thin woodlots often. Average log size is 10-12" in a delivery of log length.
I def have some 18" diameter oak i want to send thru what i buy. Maybe larger with pine.

Have a line on a built right 30scp, and it just seems like a ton of levers, and a slow cut for some reason.
Only 2 features i like on the built right,
Auto return splitter valve (2 levers, hit them, splitter advances, returns to home)
And the multi wedge. 4 way and 6 way on same post,.always on splitter, must cleanout to move, but its fairly simple to switch from small to large butt wood.
Dyna has to be lifted out and replacement wedge dropped in. Also the dyna guy has a 6, says he never uses it, splits are inconsistent, he uses the 4 low, and rolls top splits back for a perfect 4way resplit.

Wish i could justify a cord king slasher, looks to be the cats azz, but its huge coin.
Should have bought the multitek 1620ss when it was available for 28k. It was a gift

I know you said you don't want to deal with winches, etc but I really like my Wallenstein WP 835 for the money. 10.5 delivered to NC. With 6 way wedge and saw mount. Does 24" wood and anything bigger I just buck it and put in the front loader and load from the side. Load directly into the trailer. Pick your poison in terms of saw and bar. I can rebuild a stihl saw in an afternoon, not so for a hydrauluc or slasher saw. And if saw is down, just switch to a different saw. I can use the same saw for felling and bucking so no additional cost. I some upgrades in mind but no processor is perfect from the factory.

Pulled the trigger on a used dyna sc 16.
3 strand live deck
14' conveyor, 25" bar.
Kubota diesel.
455hrs. 4 and a 6 way wedge.
Single axle trailer.
My back feels better already!!
I cannot wait to put some cords thru this thing!!!
See if i can pull off the 4 cords a hr they claim!!

I don't think there is really one "best" processor. I have a Blockbuster 15-20 and we also have an 18-20. The 15-20 has about 1300hrs, the 18-20 approaching 9000. The 15-20 has a Kubota, the 18-20 a Yanmar. (John Deere).

I'm happy with it. If I had the $$ I would upgrade to something that can handle larger trees though. (around 24")

I redid a fair bit of the hydraulics on my 15-20, it's quite a bit quicker now than it was from the factory. Not sure why they wouldn't set it up correct from the get go (lot of lines weren't large enough)

I've been curious how aggressive a cut the slasher saws do. We cut anything that will fit down to basically twigs (1-2"). The smaller stuff doesn't need splitting so I just hold the end while cutting and throw it on the conveyor.

I don't know what the slasher saw costs? I know they are kind of similar to what is used on a circle mill. If you get them hot, they can get a pretty good wobble going and your making a good 1/2" (or more) into sawdust. Figure on a 40ft log, that's about a whole 16" block gone to sawdust

3 strand live deck
14' conveyor, 25" bar.
Kubota diesel.
Single axle trailer.

I just looked it up, it's setup quite a bit like the Blockbuster. Splitter and grate look beefier (nice thing too, I'm going to have to fix mine next summer, it's getting bent up).

I'd cut the sides off the saw "guard", it's a bit much for a guard! Going to end up hooking a log on it and bending it, and if not watching, end up cutting into it with the chain.

Wonder why it's missing a sawdust chute? It very much helps to direct the sawdust and stops it from ending up everywhere. I stick a super sack on my chute and collect the sawdust that way. Sell the bags for animal bedding.

14ft conveyor may be ok, depending on the height. I have a 15ft, I added an extension to the lift cylinder to get it to lift about 13ft. (used to only go about 10ft up). I would like to extend it to maybe 20ft as it's too short to work well with my big truck.

3 strand live deck
14' conveyor, 25" bar.
Kubota diesel.
Single axle trailer.

Post some pics when you pull it home.

Not sure why they dont run a chute.
I ran a sc 14 last weekend, and the sawdust didnt seem to wander.
Just goes straight out behind the saw in a loader bucket sized pile.
Only issue with that is if i set it up under cover, cleanup issue.
The 14 had 900 hrs on it and the only damage was a bent greenchain leg, and he says it happened plowing around the unit, leg was froze down, chunk hooked the bucket and bent leg out. He unpinned,.turned bend in, kept running.
The splitter box and saw guard looked new.
He had removed a safety guard allowing better access to splitter.
Wedge was practicaly chrome he put so much wood through it.
I really liked the 14, probably would have bought it if i hadnt found the 16.
The 14, i sent a 16" birch thru and it practicaly rubbed the saw chain. He says pencil straight 18" will go thru.
This 16 should do 22"

so, i started looking at firewood processors the other day.
it NEEDS to be a live deck model. no homeowner type winch crap or a chomper.
I have excavators, loaders, skidsteers, loading it is no problem.
Id LIKE to have a integrated conveyor so its portable.
Primary use:
Campground pine firewood for sale
Family use, supplying 3 households with wood
possible side bussiness processing for friends.(layed off in the winter, so why not?)
so while SPLIT quaility or sizing isnt that important,
i want something that WORKS!!
i dont want to be reaching into the splitter box clearing jams all the time.
as long as a piece is cut, and falls into the splitter box and comes out, im happy, not too worried about size.

what have you guys run and what did you like/ dislike??
Im hearing alot about barsaw/ vs slasher wheel, and everyone i talk to say wheel hands down. hardly ever needs sharpening.
this is the direction i wanted to go, they just get pricey, FAST.
not looking to buy a homebuilt unit, Id either buy name brand, or build my own.
so looking at them all, id say the splitter box is the killer for most. seems this is the part to watch out for, as it either works or it dont.
why own a processor if your hand is still touching every other piece of wood?
Dyna - 16 is an amazing machine! I literally almost bought the used 16 with the Kabota that you just purchased! Small world. I started with the rental and I just had to have it! So I ended up with the one I rented. Had 33 hours on it, we're well into the hundreds now. If you have any questions let me know I'm pretty dialed into the machine!

Matt, what are you realistically doing for.output? either cords per hr or.time.to do a cord?
Really.bought it for the increased.log butt size, but i figure.more speed wont hurt

When we're really moving and the logs are good we are 5-6 face cords a running hour. But in my market our split wood needs to have very consistent size pieces. So we throw large pieces right back in. One log loader, one operator. We're also talking mixed hardwoods not nice straight telephone poles. A lot of time in cleanup which is not in this figure.

CRD- a lot of machine for the money, but I've heard some problems with durability on the wedges.
Can you provide more detail please? One or many sources? Personal contacts or whom is saying that? First I've heard and I've kept a watching brief on CRD for quite a few years so always stoked to learn more.

I some upgrades in mind but no processor is perfect from the factory.
Could you elaborate please? It's always very interesting to learn what improvements longer-term real-word usage leads to for any equipment.

Back