Looking at getting a new sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damato333

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's between Timberking and Woodmizer. I don't want to go smaller then a Timberking 1400 or Woodmizer Lt35. I don't want to go much above $20,000. I would like to hear good and bad from people who own one from either company. It seems like both companies stand behind their product after its sold. I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Especially since I just noticed Woodmizer has an lt35 with hydraulic log loader, hydraulic log turner, hydraulic clamp and side supports. Basically the same price as a Timberking 1400 but the 1400 only has hydraulic forward/reverse and hydraulic up/down. Does the cantilever ever shake on the woodmizer? That cantilever worries me a little but Woodmizer is probably the most popular sawmill company. I guess they didn't get there by selling junk. I feel like I should just flip a coin cause I can't make a decision.

They're both good machines. If you want to save some money on a machine with all the features, I have a timberking B20 with all the bells and whistles that I'd like to sell. Log loader, turner, clamp, toe boards, set works, even has a chair to sit on :). Be a bit of a road trip, though...

They're both good machines. If you want to save some money on a machine with all the features, I have a timberking B20 with all the bells and whistles that I'd like to sell. Log loader, turner, clamp, toe boards, set works, even has a chair to sit on :). Be a bit of a road trip, though...
What state are you in?

Just curious, but why are those the final 2 choices? I also have been looking at mills and was leaning towards the Cook's brand. I know there are also more, just curious if you found negatives to the others?

Chris

Just curious, but why are those the final 2 choices? I also have been looking at mills and was leaning towards the Cook's brand. I know there are also more, just curious if you found negatives to the others?

Chris
I liked cooks too. Maybe I'm drinking to much Timberking fruit punch. Timberking says the steel band wheels are good until they wear and you have to get them ground or replace them. Replacing or grinding are both going to cost quite a bit and be down for a week. I haven't looked into any other ones besides those three.

I liked cooks too. Maybe I'm drinking to much Timberking fruit punch. Timberking says the steel band wheels are good until they wear and you have to get them ground or replace them. Replacing or grinding are both going to cost quite a bit and be down for a week. I haven't looked into any other ones besides those three.

My timberking has steel wheels. When I spoke with Mike at timberking he told me that steel was better than wheels with rubber. They can be machined, but I don't think it'll need to happen for many hundreds of hours, and shouldn't be too expensive.

LT35 Hydraulic isn't going to be $20k if you outfit it well. Closer to 30k.

The advertised price is about 21k i want to say, but it's the plain Jane model.

At a minimum get the debarker and hydraulic taper rollers.

Also having the stationary controls is really nice. The regular setup has the operator walking with the head rig in the sawdust pile.

The diesel is nice too. Much longer lifespan and lower fuel consumption.

Also consider getting setup to sharpen blades if there isn't anyone nearby that does it for a reasonable price.

Also having the stationary controls is really nice. The regular setup has the operator walking with the head rig in the sawdust pile.

Also consider getting setup to sharpen blades if there isn't anyone nearby that does it for a reasonable price.
Yea I figured out it would be higher after I wrote it. As I look more at these mills, I start wanting every option. I'm probably going to end up with a Timberking 2500 or Woodmizer lt70 lol. There is no ****** way I'll ever be able to afford those.

Yea I figured out it would be higher after I wrote it. As I look more at these mills, I start wanting every option. I'm probably going to end up with a Timberking 2500 or Woodmizer lt70 lol. There is no ****** way I'll ever be able to afford those.

We run an LT40 Super Hydraulic at the shop. It has the Yanmar diesel, I want to say it's about 45hp.
The shop used to be the Woodmizer dealer for the state so were able to setup the mill exactly as wanted pretty easily.

As with most things, the more $$ and the better it is, and of course it's a what can I do with x $$. I wouldn't mind a big Multitek processor with 70" blade, but they are around $125k, where my much small Blockbuster was about $40k.

I've milled a many of these machines... And, I like many of the Woodmizer products BUT!

I keep reading that the last several years woodmizer mills have really went down hill, POOR quality control ect... (since the big sale)

I really don't think they are NOW the mill they use to be...and i'm not going to buy a product that's living on their reputation.

Plenty of good mills to choose from, you may want to look at a few more...

SR

I've milled a many of these machines... And, I like many of the Woodmizer products BUT!

I keep reading that the last several years woodmizer mills have really went down hill, POOR quality control ect... (since the big sale)

I really don't think they are NOW the mill they use to be...and i'm not going to buy a product that's living on their reputation.

Plenty of good mills to choose from, you may want to look at a few more...

SR
Can you recommend a company that I should look at?

The lt35 has a yanmar 24 hp diesel option for $4,200. Is it worth it? I know diesels have more torque. But will I notice a difference between a 25 hp gas. If the diesel was over 30 hp then I would definitely think it's worth it. For $4,200 more I hope I could tell a difference between the 2.

Well, Cooks was mentioned, they are a good mill...

For the money you are going to spend, if I was you, I'd be at the Paul Bunyan show in Oh. next month!

You will see most all the mills there and can saw on many of them. IF you aren't willing to take the time to do that, you are handicapping your self BIG TIME!

SR

For the money you are going to spend, if I was you, I'd be at the Paul Bunyan show in Oh. next month!

You will see most all the mills there and can saw on many of them. IF you aren't willing to take the time to do that, you are handicapping your self BIG TIME!

SR

I might go to that show. It would definitely help with decision making.

SR
I like cooks. It seems like everyone uses band wheels get urethane belts. But cooks uses solid band wheels. Each company says their way is better. Who do I believe?

Back