Looking at getting a new sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like timberking a lot. But I saw this picture on their website and turned me off a little. This is the 1600. For what it costs I think it should be cleaner and more put together.

Attachments

• IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
I have a Norwood Lumbermate... The band runs on a belt that drives the wheels... I bought it in 2003 and it's still on it's original belt and still cuts straight, flat lumber...

I milled beech logs today, here's a couple wide boards off one of the logs,

standard.jpg

I can't find anything wrong with the way Norwood runs their bands and the wheels still look like new. SO, I have no idea what other mfg's are doing or why they run their wheels the way they do.

SR

The lt35 has a yanmar 24 hp diesel option for $4,200. Is it worth it? I know diesels have more torque. But will I notice a difference between a 25 hp gas. If the diesel was over 30 hp then I would definitely think it's worth it. For $4,200 more I hope I could tell a difference between the 2.

If you want "no crap" thoughts about it, shoot me your # and I can have my buddy call you when he has a chance.

I can't speak on how it will handle on the mill, but I debated it when I bought my firewood processor. (similar engine size) I chose to go with the diesel. I have a Kubota, but the Yanmar is darn near the same engine.

The Yanmar is a fuel miser vs a "big block" 2 cylinder will use more fuel. You can run off road diesel, so cheaper too. (Here right now it's about .70 a gal cheaper than gas)

The other thing to consider is longevity. The little Yanmar will likely do 10,000 hrs before needing a rebuild. I'd be surprised to see 1/4 of that on the gas engine.

And power. I'm running 3 pumps on my setup, the "books" say I should need about 15 more hp to be able to run them. I've had no trouble.

I suppose it will come down to how much are you going to use it. If it's just 100hrs a year, the engine will probably go forever.
The older processor we have has a 30hp Yanmar, it's got about 9000hrs on it, still running fine, starts fine at -30*. It should have died years ago really. It's been run out of oil twice (crank seal leaked), overheated, etc (don't hire idiots to run your stuff BTW!)

I have a Norwood Lumbermate... The band runs on a belt that drives the wheels... I bought it in 2003 and it's still on it's original belt and still cuts straight, flat lumber...

I milled beech logs today, here's a couple wide boards off one of the logs,

standard.jpg

I can't find anything wrong with the way Norwood runs their bands and the wheels still look like new. SO, I have no idea what other mfg's are doing or why they run their wheels the way they do.

SR
I had a Norwood mx34.

If you want "no crap" thoughts about it, shoot me your # and I can have my buddy call you when he has a chance.

I can't speak on how it will handle on the mill, but I debated it when I bought my firewood processor. (similar engine size) I chose to go with the diesel. I have a Kubota, but the Yanmar is darn near the same engine.

The Yanmar is a fuel miser vs a "big block" 2 cylinder will use more fuel. You can run off road diesel, so cheaper too. (Here right now it's about .70 a gal cheaper than gas)

The other thing to consider is longevity. The little Yanmar will likely do 10,000 hrs before needing a rebuild. I'd be surprised to see 1/4 of that on the gas engine.

And power. I'm running 3 pumps on my setup, the "books" say I should need about 15 more hp to be able to run them. I've had no trouble.

I suppose it will come down to how much are you going to use it. If it's just 100hrs a year, the engine will probably go forever.
The older processor we have has a 30hp Yanmar, it's got about 9000hrs on it, still running fine, starts fine at -30*. It should have died years ago really. It's been run out of oil twice (crank seal leaked), overheated, etc (don't hire idiots to run your stuff BTW!)
I think you convinced me to get the diesel. It comes down to money.

I've milled a many of these machines... And, I like many of the Woodmizer products BUT!

I keep reading that the last several years woodmizer mills have really went down hill, POOR quality control ect... (since the big sale)

I really don't think they are NOW the mill they use to be...and i'm not going to buy a product that's living on their reputation.

Plenty of good mills to choose from, you may want to look at a few more...

SR

SR, when was the "big sale", that you mentioned. I'm looking at some used Woodmizer's. Maybe they were made before the turnover.

I'm also interested in purchasing a portable mill. I've been looking for about a month now, and have narrowed it down to either a WM LT40 or the Cooks HD 3238. Personally I think I prefer the Cooks from what I've been able to see on the video's.

Is there anything like the Paul Bunyon event in the Southeast? I know WM had an event last weekend in Perry, Fl, and another one this weekend in north GA. But, I'd like to see more than one saw if possible. I guess I'll stop in and see the Cooks saw near Dothan when we visit the In-laws in a couple of weeks.

I don't know when the sale was, all I know is I'm seeing a LOT of complaints of "lower quality" of late...

The Paul Bunyan show was in southern Ohio, isn't THAT close to south east?? lol Last show in the southern states I know about was the Georgia show...

There were ton's of sawmills at the Paul Bunyan show!

SR

SR thanks for the quick reply. Do you know what the show in Georgia is called, where it is held, or when possibly. thanks again.

Ken

I just did a quick google search and there was a show in Moultree, Ga that the Norwood Dealers were at so that was probably it on October 17th. I was in Warner Robins the week after visiting my brother in law. Just missed it.

Moultree was it... I've never went, but my friends tell me it's a big show like the Bunyan show... I'd like to see it some time!

SR

Back