Looking for a 28" bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, depends on how you define "good" and what would "break the bank". With bars, there is a pretty significant cost variation depending. You can probably get a bar/chain combo in a 24" sprocket nose bar for about $55. If you want a Stihl bar or higher end you're gonna be looking at $100 by the time you put a chain on it.

Tough to beat the Stihl and Cannon bars for durability. Stihl bars 28" and under are very reasonable for how they wear. I paid $59 for a new 28" Stihl ES bar a few weeks ago, but that was during a sale.

Tough to beat the Stihl and Cannon bars for durability. Stihl bars 28" and under are very reasonable for how they wear. I paid $59 for a new 28" Stihl ES bar a few weeks ago, but that was during a sale.
That was an exceptionally good price. If my local dealer had them for that, there would be some hanging on my wall.

I have a used 24 inch stihl bar or can get what ever you want in oregon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3691939b21536e3d5f0636b7bf02a4c8.jpg
I just put this 28 inch on couple days ago ,going to oregon warehouse this week get some chains

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.
I have a new Stihl 291 with an 18" bar on it that's why I was thinking king of a 28" on this bigger saw. I guess I could go 24", but ten inches longer seems better.
I've never used a bar that long.
Any tips on it?

Here's my only suggestion (based on my limited experience). Try to avoid using the long bar when cutting small limbs and twigs as these long chains are easy to de-rail compared to shorter bars and chains.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.
I have a new Stihl 291 with an 18" bar on it that's why I was thinking king of a 28" on this bigger saw. I guess I could go 24", but ten inches longer seems better.
I've never used a bar that long.
Any tips on it?

If you can swing the change for a 28" light bar do it.

On stihls theres a 7 driver difference over a 24/5" and the 28" lights balance way better and most weigh around what a 20" standard bar weighs.

Our opinions ( some with solid experience on the subject ) and your money..good luck.

Back