Looking for a chainsaw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. Reading the forum and days/weeks worth of Googling, I wanted to get some input specific to my situation. Any feedback is appreciated.

I just bought a new house, in the suburbs in MN that backs up to woods and about 1/4 to 1/2 acre of my lot is pretty heavily wooded. I am going to have to maintain the wooded portion of my lot which has some pretty large trees. I anticipate storm cleanup, general maintenance, wood cutting for my fire pit and fireplaces. I wont be using the saw a ton, but want something that is capable enough to do most of what might need to be done. I am looking for a well rounded saw.

I was looking in the ~50 cc range, thinking around 18" bar; though if you think I'm off base, please let me know.

I have been looking at Husq 450, 450 Rancher (...which the difference between the two I'm a little foggy on) and the 455 Rancher. Reading some other threads and forums, people in a similar position have been discussing the 450 as a lighter similar power to the 455. Reading reviews and feedback though the 450 gets a little hate sometimes and the 450 Rancher even more hate...where as the 455 Rancher seems to be more universally liked, though > 1 lb heavier. In the manufacturer wars, I have been seeing a tendency to side with Husq vs Stihl in the 50cc range though I wouldn't be opposed to a Stihl or any other brand (Echo, Dolmar, etc.) for that matter. I have no allegiance.

What would you recommend in the dreaded "homeowner" category of saws? I have a tendency to over buy my needs to get the better product, but I want to stay in the ~$400 or under range. More bang for the buck is always preferred. I am not very experienced with chainsaws, so keep that in mind as well.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Best bang for the buck new is the Echo 590 Timberwolf. A prograde saw made a little less expensive with the addition of some cheaper parts. You'll probably never wear it out.

Best is its 60cc, generally the "one saw plan" size that works.

A good used saw from the trading post here would work too. A bunch of honest people here.

I am going to say go with a Husqvarna 545. Nice, light, high revving saw that will run an 18" bar with authority. Probably the ultimate firewood saw out right now IMHO. A little beyond the $400.00 cap but it is a buy it once saw as it is just a detuned 550 XP, not a new one every few years. Plus it is AutoTune so you never have to worry about adjusting the carb. PM Spike60, he keeps them in stock and has great prices.

Joe

Welcome to A.S., echo 590 as stated above I run a 600p echo, at time of purch, 590 was not avail. I believe magnesium case as well. Not sure what kinda case 450 has.

These two post pretty much summarize the current "group think" of AS.
1) 60 cc for a 1-saw plan
2) Pro saws (mag case) are better than clam-shells
3) CS 590 new or good used pro saw is the best bang for the buck.
4) Go to a GTG if you can.
I agree with 1, 2 and 4 from experience. Never owned a CS 590. I've had mixed results with used saws.

OK, here is a 'real' answer.

A 50cc saw with a 16" bar is a good starting point for an 'all around' saw. It sounds like you are somewhat new to saws, so include in your budget: steel-toed boots, chaps, gloves, safety glasses, and one of those helmet/face-screen/ear-muff things (I wear all of these, not trying to goad you into something dorky). Choose 'semi-chisel, low-kickback chain' if you have a choice (most of the saws you choose will come with this, anyway), this is the 'all-sason radial tires' of saw chain. And pick up a couple of extra loops, you will need them.

If you are new to saws, choosing a saw by dealer support might be just as important. Lowe's, Sears, HD, Menard's, Fleet Farm, etc. will not be there to help you. If there is a STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO, or Dolmar shop nearby that will spend some time with you, instead of just selling you a saw in the box, go with them. Each of those brands mentioned has good saws in the 50cc range - much of it is user preference. Some of the differences between similar saws, such as the 450 and 450 Rancher is marketing - a good dealer can help you navigate that stuff.

One of the biggest problems with chainsaws is occasional use; they don't like it. You will have to pay special attention to your fuel use and storage procedures if you put your saw down for 3 to 6 months at a time and expect it to start right up. You might be a good candidate for the pre-mixed fuel in the cans (expensive per gallon, but you won't be using that much of it). I live on 1/6 acre in Saint Paul, and my favorite saws are . . . . (wait for it) . . . . electric! I am never more than 100' from an outlet and they are always instant 'ON', instant 'OFF'. A lot of people like the better ($300 - $400 range) battery powered saws for occasional use, and you can always rent a saw if you only need it for a day or so (heresy on this site!).

Really try to come out to the GTG on the 17th. You will meet lots of interesting people, and have the opportunity to actually handle a variety of saws to see how they feel when running.

Philbert

P.S. - don't look at a chainsaw as your only tool. If you are cleaning up/managing a bunch of trees, you will probably want a decent hand saw (folding or buck style), a good pole pruner/saw, a pair of long handled, compound loppers (anvil for dead stuff, bypass for green stuff), and an axe or maul for splitting wood if you plan to convert it into firewood.

If you are going to hang around and become part of the community, try to make a local friend and see if they can spare a day or afternoon and come over and cruise your woodlot and give you a little saw introduction. Saw selection will be based on the trees you anticipate cutting more than anything else.

I agree with Philbert (on a lot of things) occasional intermittent use on a small lot, consider a battery saw, a good one, with the benefit of other yard tools using the same battery and charger. IF your trees and occasional falling down branch are not giant.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I appreciate it. I will take a look at the Echos mentioned. Between the 490 and 590, for ~$50 it seems logical to just spend the extra to jump to the 590. They do fit right in the price point I was looking and it looks like i can take a look at one at a local(ish) dealer.

Be sure to hold the saw for more than just a couple minutes. That $50 extra also gets you a pound of extra weight. Take a look at Dolmar if there is a dealer close. 421 and 510 are pro quality saws at reasonable prices that should leave you room for chaps

Be sure to hold the saw for more than just a couple minutes. That $50 extra also gets you a pound of extra weight. Take a look at Dolmar if there is a dealer close. 421 and 510 are pro quality saws at reasonable prices that should leave you room for chaps
Unless someone is working for hours with a saw, it is difficult to quantify how significant a few pounds or even ounces makes. In my estimation, based on the OP's stated intentions, weight is going to be a relatively insignificant factor. That said, when one is using a saw for hours a day, lighter, lower power saws seem much more attractive than they do on the internet.
I think the OP will be fine with a saw between 45 and 60cc. A sharp chain trumps horsepower any day so learn how to keep one making oatmeal chips and not cornmeal dust.

Thanks again everyone. @fordf150 weight has been a concern but as fearofpavement mentioned, I probably wont be using it for long stints most of the time, but it is always something I want to keep in mind. I picked up and held a few at the store list last week and you can definitely notice the weight differences. I was also trying to track down a Dolmar dealer to get a handle on prices and see what they have but I can find a lot of places listed for service but when i check their site they never list as selling Dolmar.

As far as pro Husqs, I have heard good things but just a little outside what I can justify, at least for now.

I do want a saw that is capable enough to kind of do it all, as I have a feeling some family members with some acreage will want help and an extra saw never really hurts. I am probably leaning a little more now toward the Echos, 490 and 590. If i can find somewhere within driving distance to look at a Dolmar I will probably check it out.

Being newer to saws, I am not quite as comfortable going the used route. I just don't know enough about them without assistance.

No matter the saw, I will be getting the safety gear to go with it. I don't really care if it isn't the most stylish, I don't want to lose a limb, need stitches, or worse.

Back