Looking for a opinion on my port work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerbear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just a junk cylinder off a stuck 266se. I cut .053 from the squish band and .058 from the base.
changed port timing to
exhaust 102
transfers 122
intake 78
Squish 21

What do you guys think. I expect some heckling I know it ant perfect by no means. some pointers before I do a good cylinder would be appreciated thanks.
IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0300.JPG IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG

I will make a small comment to get your thread started. I don`t see any layout lines in your cylinder. How do you determine where your ring ends are located and the limits you want to grind to.

Yeah I sort of wondered about that myself and then reread the post.
"Just a junk cylinder off a stuck 266se.... ...some pointers before I do a good cylinder would be appreciated thanks."
Ive found it's easy to get used to skimming things (intro lines-hyperbole) and expecting the details to be sort of buried in the middle.

Jerbear, on your camera, can you set the ISO a bit lower? higher/larger ISO numbers give the pics that soft, grainy look and make the details hard to see.
It's not the same as out of focus though.

Brad the large divot is still mostly there it was .1/4in wide and 3/8in tall. Got the saw from a scrap yard for $4.50 got that back in spare parts. I mounted it to another scrap yard Jonsered 630 I have apart replacing base gasket. thanks for looking

LegDeLimber I will have to read up an the camera had it for 3 years only the second time I have used it. thanks for the tip

kz1000 you bet just got to let the jb weld set up over the divot fist:) although I bet some would buy it. lol

For anyone who's interested in what I was referring to about the ISO setting.
Just a few quick frames from my Canon sx120 to ilustrate what the ISO change does to image quality.
The little Canons that I've had all seemed to run a bit too high on the "auto"ISO setting and would shoot really grainy pics, So I usually shoot with a few parameters set manually.
That and even a cheap tripod can do wonders for "pocket" or Point&Shoot" cameras!

this is a "Save Edge" brand, six side-flat file for full chisel chain filing.
All taken using a tripod, from same position, just shifted the ISO setting upwards each shot.
my manual cropping will show some shift of position of course.
Starting at 80 iso and going to 1600 iso.

Edit: and I'm not picking on Jerbear here, sorta the opposite actually.
Jerbear took and posted a bunch of pics, with the light moved a round in some and it seemed like he(?) was trying to get his best shots.
I'm tickled over good photos and this iso thing is just something I've been on the verge of pointing out for a while and I just finally did so.

Attachments

• 80 iso.jpg
    80 iso.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 200 iso.jpg
    200 iso.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 400 iso.jpg
    400 iso.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 800 iso.jpg
    800 iso.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 1600 iso.jpg
    1600 iso.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 156
Another thought-
All two strokes scavenge through displacement. Drop an ice cube into a full glass of water for the basic principal. What spills over the side of the glass is what has been moved by displacement.

If the piston your using is of the full circle design, the combustion chamber is fed through the piston windows that align with the bottom transfer port of the cylinder. By matching the piston windows to the lower transfer port you increase the scavenging volume and velocity. On the other hand, if your using a piston that is of the slipper design (recessed wristpin), then the windows arent there for moving charge into the transfer ports, but instead are for lubrication of the pin bearing and cooling of the piston.

Do you have a pic of the piston you want to use?

It was a test cylinder just to go use to the grinding. I have another 266 and a 268 jonsered 630 to play with.
It would run a windowed piston similar to this 630 except its a single thick ring.
If I open up the lower transfer ports wont I lose crankcase pressure causing a loss in velocity?

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 48
Is the squish 0,022"
Going to mod my 353 myself next week, but i could mesure blsnelling s 2188..to know..
Invested in a dreml and tools for portmatching and smoothing out intake and exhaust!

I was trying for 0.020 squish ended up at 0.021. I am a new to the lathe work. Good luck with your 353 the grinding is fun and addictive.

If u permit, i could take some pictures and post.. Maby get some pointers too.. Have no plan to change the ports other then the same as the squish adjustment. Does that sound right..?

Just started disasembling, and this was revealed.. Sombody know what this is and do i need it?
ne7y6ava.jpg

The card restrictors are history :)

Back