Looking for Japanese made chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theengineer

Reaction score
I recently bought a Honda generator from a local dealer after witnessing a elderly man at a flea market using it. It was sooo quiet and smooth rather then the harley davidson decibals I am used to from other generators.

All I got to say is wow! Starts on the first pull.
Its only a fraction of the noise of American generators, more compact and hell of a lot more reliable and efficient.

After years and years of suffering through crappy engines on lawn mowers, generators, leaf blowers I finally feel liberated. (my property was large)

However, I cannt seem to find a Honda chain saw or any Japanese chainsaws. Where can I buy a Japanese saw?

I am especially interested in a small, gas operated one thats made in Japan if possible rather then just a brand name sticker thats made in America or Mexico.

I have a Honda EU2000I and I love it for the same reasons you do. It is a gem and has made life better during our week long power outages from Ice storms here in Kansas.

Engeneer

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

My $0.02 cents worth.

Chainsaw speaking, Stihl is to chainsaws that Honda is to small generators, in my opinion.

I would go further in saying that if Stihl made a small generator comparable to the Honda, I would have a Stihl generator.

Did someone mention Honda General purpose engines being built in Japan??? You might want to check into that.....

Scott

I've often wondered why Honda never made a chainsaw, they make a dandy dirtbike...

Wait until 2010, they have already got a trimmer with a GX 25 and 35 engine.
Just a little more development and they might surprise you!

I recently bought a Honda generator from a local dealer after witnessing a elderly man at a flea market using it. It was sooo quiet and smooth rather then the harley davidson decibals I am used to from other generators.

All I got to say is wow! Starts on the first pull.
Its only a fraction of the noise of American generators, more compact and hell of a lot more reliable and efficient.

After years and years of suffering through crappy engines on lawn mowers, generators, leaf blowers I finally feel liberated. (my property was large)

However, I cannt seem to find a Honda chain saw or any Japanese chainsaws. Where can I buy a Japanese saw?

I am especially interested in a small, gas operated one thats made in Japan if possible rather then just a brand name sticker thats made in America or Mexico.

move to japan, they have a lot of them there

Funny thing is, Robin/Subaru is the #1 small gas engine in Japan.

Yep! I stock log splitters with Robin engines on them because they can save you a lot of money vs a Honda and they are built as good, or dare I say better!

The box stores use a Honda on their made in China splitters BUT they are a vertical shaft mower spec engine. They do it for the Honda name recognition.

i see i am not the only enlightened consumer

I'll look into shindaiwa.
I am looking forward to 2010 and seeing if Honda will put their engine on a chainsaw!

I'll also take a look at Baily and see if they have those other Japanese brand names. I prefer to deal with small family busineesses then large chain stores.

Yeah, I know, the Japanese import hand power tools/generators are more expensive then corporate american brands... from my experience its worth it. Its not just the name we are paying for (lets say like european perfumes and handbags our girl friends like to buy) but great design and quality manufacturing. They make the best stuff.

Unfortunately I am seeing Japan presured by social economics. Most Japanese companies have moved their factories to the U.S., China and Mexico. "Redistrubing" the wealth. Which is all good, but I am noticing the U.S. made ones at least are using inferior quality metal and plastic then the originals.

Yeah, they make great bikes ! My friend has a CBR, he can go almost 200mph on that thing. My parents both have a Honda, a Civic and a Accord, 13 and 16 years old! (we call them our work cars, because no matter what other fancy cars they have they always use them to go to work) I am personally a Lexus man, but thats just my preference, nothing against Honda. We used to be die hard Ford/Lincoln buyers until Lincoln refused to refund us on a lemon MKS, it was in the shop every month and thats not including the factory recalls. Shhesh. After buying 5 of their vehicles it was enough. At least volkswagon was honorable/honest enough to refund our money after the engine caught on fire the first month.

Funny story though, the mechanic we used at Ford/Lincoln was a wizard. Incredibly skilled, super fast. Best mechanic I have ever seen. After our 8th visit to the garage with the MKS he was even nice enough to sneak in parts from other manufacturers that were compatible with the mks. We hated to lose him as our mechanic as we gave away all our Lincolns, but then again we rarely have a need for a mechanic anymore.

Looking forword to Honda's Green technology Hydrogen fuel cell hand held power tools in the future.

<snip>
Looking forword to Honda's Green technology Hydrogen fuel cell hand held power tools in the future.

if you can carry them :p

(says he who has a Honda 4 stroke brushcutter (muffler modded :lol: ) and lawn mower...)

Wait !

Dolmar and Makita petrol chainsaws are made in Germany, but Dolmar is a fully owned subsidiary of Makita and some of it's chief engineers are Japanese. ;)

Last edited:
They make trimmers though, but pretty expensive - at least here....

The strimmers and hedge trimmers are in the UK and fairly cheap but they are NOT pro models the trimmers are ok for a garden but lack power for proper use.

Makita make a decent 4 stroke hand held blower £75 cheaper than a BG85

Back