Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go 600kg per m3. X 40 m3 per load =24000 kg. Round of to 25,000 kg per load = 25 metric tonne.
4 loads is 100 metric tonne
40 loads to 1000 Tonne x 15
= 600 loads 24,000 m3. That could be 20-25 man days falling per 1000 m3 here. I would assume Aussie wood is a bit heavier.
Northman likes metric, he told me... lol. Or you can go 35lb per cu ft
X 35 cu ft to = I cu metre (m3) 2.7 m3 = I cunit or 1200 mbf

I think my exact words where, "I ****ing hate metric" but that is unrelated in that a metric ton is like 2250 pounds or some **** and an american ton is 2000 pounds so you loose about 2 tons to a load of logs big ****ing deal, that what one decent fir log.

I think my exact words where, "I ****ing hate metric" but that is unrelated in that a metric ton is like 2250 pounds or some **** and an american ton is 2000 pounds so you loose about 2 tons to a load of logs big ****ing deal, that what one decent fir log.

Yall's aluminum axe holders: do you buy or make them?

I'd like some info on them either way, if you have time, please.

Yall's aluminum axe holders: do you buy or make them?

I'd like some info on them either way, if you have time, please.

Grizzly peak industries, google aluminium axe scabbard be like the first 5 that come up, Though I got mine at Wood's in Sedro Woolley. Madsen's I hear carries them as well.

By the way...

I used to drag my axe around shoved through the wedge belt, scabbard way better, keeps the handle up and out of the way, little weird to get used to the weight at first but not horrible.

Saw smacks the axe around a bit when carrying over the shoulder but a little readjustment and all is well.

It's hard to say. Yes it looks like it could be leaning down at fallers view 60° from bar tip.
But the shot where he says (shows) where he will lay it then back to the tree dosen't mean $hit from that angle if you were standing there yourself. If you were at the bottom of the hill looking up straight on at the tree and
all the trees look straight but the top of this one looks to be closer to the trees on the lookers left by a long shot then guess what. ..that dosen't mean $hit either because you can't judge a tree from the bottom, it will prove to be an illusion from there too. There is only one place you can get a good read from on a hill and that's directly behind the tree with no saplings in the way. About
5 1/2" to the fallers right flank and 3 more ft back.
That wasn't the money shot. Close though.

I'll go 600kg per m3. X 40 m3 per load =24000 kg. Round of to 25,000 kg per load = 25 metric tonne.
4 loads is 100 metric tonne
40 loads to 1000 Tonne x 15
= 600 loads 24,000 m3. That could be 20-25 man days falling per 1000 m3 here. I would assume Aussie wood is a bit heavier.
Northman likes metric, he told me... lol. Or you can go 35lb per cu ft
X 35 cu ft to = I cu metre (m3) 2.7 m3 = I cunit or 1200 mbf
It goes 1000 to 1200 kg / m3 for the eucalyptus, 22 m3 to the load, I've done a few basal area plots & my estimate is very conservative. We don't clear fell on private property unless it's a plantation, so the forest is dotted with millable & immature trees, we have to leave at least 16 m2 / Ha basal area standing after selective logging.
Stanks

Nope
try again
lean is about 60 degrees to the right of where that saw tip is pointing (approximately)

It would fall the direction you are saying because it is less than 90 from the lean, but thats not the lean, which is why he's taking it around past 90 to fall it in the lead and the whole point of his video.
Very imaginative!
Sasinski

image.jpeg
These threads are kind of fun, because you know if the instigator had access to timber to cut he would have tried swinging a few by now. I don't saw for a living and would still try it if I had this much effort invested in an online argument. You can usually tell who the posers and trolls are.... good times boys.
I suppose the only reason I wouldn't have access to leaning timber is if I couldn't get out of bed to cut ones like that down in my jammies! 10 meters from the house yard!
Chinski

It's hard to say. Yes it looks like it could be leaning down at fallers view 60° from bar tip.
But the shot where he says (shows) where he will lay it then back to the tree dosen't mean $hit from that angle if you were standing there yourself. If you were at the bottom of the hill looking up straight on at the tree and
all the trees look straight but the top of this one looks to be closer to the trees on the lookers left by a long shot then guess what. ..that dosen't mean $hit either because you can't judge a tree from the bottom, it will prove to be an illusion from there too. There is only one place you can get a good read from on a hill and that's directly behind the tree with no saplings in the way. About
5 1/2" to the fallers right flank and 3 more ft back.
That wasn't the money shot. Close though.

To me it looks very evident, but that is to me... maybe I opened a can of worms.
At any respect
The fact of the matter is you really have to take the fallers word for it who was there and cutting the tree, which, he is not will to do with him or anyone here, let alone watch the evidence in the other videos that were created.

So... It really seems like its just a smug game to him now....

Madsen's I hear carries them as well.

That's where I got mine but I went right back to carrying the axe in my belt. The scabbard is in the day pack for my linegear, right below the fusees. I use it as a rigging bag mostly because as an engine guy I'm seldom far enough from the truck to need to carry so much as a lunch. I don't clip the bag into the linegear very often at all. It's just shelter and camelbak most of the time.

It goes 1000 to 1200 kg / m3 for the eucalyptus, 22 m3 to the load, I've done a few basal area plots & my estimate is very conservative. We don't clear fell on private property unless it's a plantation, so the forest is dotted with millable & immature trees, we have to leave at least 16 m2 / Ha basal area standing after selective logging.
Stanks
Not totally surprised that some of it would be so heavy
BTW, What is the volume or thickness of a metre square (m2)? I'm thinking one Dec ??(Decimeter)

View attachment 514093
I suppose the only reason I wouldn't have access to leaning timber is if I couldn't get out of bed to cut ones like that down in my jammies! 10 meters from the house yard!
Chinski
The thing you keep forgetting in swinging a tree 180 from the lean, the tree has to be fairly well balanced overall. The more lean/top wieght the less you will be able to swing it. I'm not walking on water here. Gravity and momentum and the strength of the wood are what I use. It takes years to figure out how to manipulate a tree in such a way. It starts with one Reggie. I think you've got all the info you need now. You're ready. Make sure you pack some clean shorts though. Seems like you'll need em.

The thing you keep forgetting in swinging a tree 180 from the lean, the tree has to be fairly well balanced overall. The more lean/top wieght the less you will be able to swing it. I'm not walking on water here. Gravity and momentum and the strength of the wood are what I use. It takes years to figure out how to manipulate a tree in such a way. It starts with one Reggie. I think you've got all the info you need now. You're ready. Make sure you pack some clean shorts though. Seems like you'll need em.
Yes I know that the tree has to be well balanced for your method to be possible, with the COG on the stump, then you can fall it in just about any direction, a tall tree with 5' of lean....... no way known is 180' possible opposite the lean, the tree I showed previous with the lean to the plumbob, is totally 100% impossible to be able to be felled 180' against the lean with only a soft Dutchman cut, that tree will be reserved for anybody who thinks they can.
Tatinski

Yes I know that the tree has to be well balanced for your method to be possible, with the COG on the stump, then you can fall it in just about any direction, a tall tree with 5' of lean....... no way known is 180' possible opposite the lean, the tree I showed previous with the lean to the plumbob, is totally 100% impossible to be able to be felled 180' against the lean with only a soft Dutchman cut, that tree will be reserved for anybody who thinks they can.
Tatinski
It's too bad I will never get there. I'd love to show you how far I could swing that tree.

Latest posts

Back