looking for the right racing axe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethaxe

Reaction score
i was wondering if any one had some info on which racing axes are the best or ones to stay away from. i have a baileys racing axe for pratice. so not to sure if oxhead or keech or tuatahi. or others.also where is the best places to get them. so let me know what you think. also looking for plans for a standing block stand. thanks seth.

I have the following axes in my box:

1 x Keesteel (Keech)
1 x Stewart Racing Axe
3 x Tuatahi
1 x Aussie Speed Axe (somewhat rare)
1 x True Blue Racer (somewhat rare)

The Aussie Speed is my favourite at the moment, too bad Im stoning a chip outta the bight. The Keesteel is an earler casting, the modern ones I have heard arent quite as good, but thats personal prefrence. The Tuatahi's are increasing in popularity all the time. I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and what your personal prefrence is. Also what your cutting can be a factor. (hard or soft woods). I picked up all of that lot above plus some 30 whetstones from my coach for $400! (Australian Dollars). Ask axemen who have been around the sport a while and they may sell you some of thier old gear.

I just found this too. He is an aussie axe maker, but grinds em for the USA arena also,

USA Axes
These axes are specifically ground for the timbers cut in the USA which tend to be faster cutting than the Australian hardwoods.

These axes are ground with a 13.5 degree chisel and vary in chisel length from 12 to 20mm depending on the type of timber to be cut.

They are well suited to White Pine or Aspin Cotton Wood.

Osborne Racing Axes - Conventional Axe Grinds

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back