Looking into a PNW trip... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the inside of my rig, lunchtime, today. Low 40s, maybe upper 30s and....rain. I wore my hellytech raincoat and it keeps me damp. As does the rubber coated heavy duty raincoat. Damp is better than soaked. This is our winter, spring, and early summer. Add the smellivision of mildew.:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

Here's a picture of common terrain. Notice there's a rock bluff in the center.
I took the picture from a rock storage site which would be the grassy mound in the foreground.

attachment.php

Two of you may move here if you persuade 3 to leave. :) I'm sorry, but I've seen the population just explode out here and I hate to stand in lines. Having lived in the far north of Wisconsin during my exile, I also learned about people with those Illinois license plates. Our equal is those people with California plates.:cheers:

visit nw oregon coast

I work for Qwest South of Portland.After the storm hit in December, I volenteered to do storm cleanup in the North Oregon coast. Could not believe the devistation when i arrived. Went to one house that had 25 trees come down on it in a 6 hr period. This pic is of me about 25 ft up in a doug fir?, where it snapped off in the wind( a little rotten), and another 150 ft accross the road on the ground. We used one of our bucket trucks to get up in it and snap a photo. I spent a week there and have never seen such damage. Try and visit Fort Clatsop if you are in the Astoria area, Major damage.
Phone Guy

No....It's called the Mexicanfornication of the West Coast.....and they'll be taking you job soon......Hahahahahahaha!

actually them pesky 'cans is just takin back what used to be theres, least before the raskely crackers showed up.

ak4195

If your stayin' in Ferndale (20 miles from Canada), and want to go to Madsen's (20 miles from Oregon)... you got one heck of a drive (5+ hours) in front of you. :)

Wood's Logging Supply is in Sedro Wooley... about an hour from Ferndale.

Gary

I am following this thread here with particular interest, as little belgian here is planning a visit to the PNW somewhere mid 2009 (Wayne Sutton's chainsaw museum).

Somewhat inspired by the legendary Mr Andreas Stihl, who brought german chainsaw technology to the the PNW, it's my ambition to bring belgian beer expertise to that same area.... just need to find out the places and people that are interested in it ....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

????????

I recommend the lawnmower races if you are in the area. If the driver is hunched over, sometimes there's some good male cleavage to look at.

Why would He want to look @ male cleaveage????????:dizzy: :confused: :dizzy: LOL!!!

I am following this thread here with particular interest, as little belgian here is planning a visit to the PNW somewhere mid 2009 (Wayne Sutton's chainsaw museum).

Somewhat inspired by the legendary Mr Andreas Stihl, who brought german chainsaw technology to the the PNW, it's my ambition to bring belgian beer expertise to that same area.... just need to find out the places and people that are interested in it ....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm In Belgian!!!!!

Last edited:
If your stayin' in Ferndale (20 miles from Canada), and want to go to Madsen's (20 miles from Oregon)... you got one heck of a drive (5+ hours) in front of you. :)

Wood's Logging Supply is in Sedro Wooley... about an hour from Ferndale.

Gary

I didn't know I lived that close to Oregon. Better yet, wait until a weekend in May, I'll have to look it up, and visit Madsens during the Seattle to Portland bike ride. It is in the town that is used for an overnight stop. Then drive out to the Boistfort Valley and there will probably still be flood things to look at. Go to Morton and see the medical waste burning plant...(its where I send my used hankies) these are things not on the tourist list. The saw shop where they'll let you fondle saws is in the same town as Madsens. I think they might get more business from the locals, as they have lower prices. Then there may still be flood damaged stuff you can buy at Sunbirds. Notice the ripply floor as you wander. My smelly gorilla tape I bought there for $3 is still working as a Tin Pants patch. Note the rusting yarders parked hither and thither along the interstate...you could probably buy one of those to take home with you for pretty cheap. They might even throw in some rigging. If you visit our National Forests, better not bring your ATV. Our district only has 2 short trails where they are allowed and it is illegal to ride them on the roads. Hunting? Well, you can try over here in the brush or go with the crowd to the east side and compete for Bambi or Elky. Ooops, forgot this. Visit Packwood during Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend. Since the mill closed, and logging slowed down, locals make a bit of needed extra money charging to park in front of their houses on county right of way. I'm running out of ideas now. Enjoy.

Last edited:
My fiance's dad is a logger and so is her uncle and some other people in her family. All working for different compnaies but with eachother.
If you have experience I may be able to line you up a job.

I would tell you to not move here cause it rains a #### load. Which it does. But I used to live in west Norway and it rained a hell of lot more there. Not to mention I was born in southern California hehe.

Last edited:
sILlogger,
I think slowp is partly trying to say there is no perfect place to live. If you want trees, you have to deal with high humidity (Eastern USA), tons of rain (PNW) or high elevation (>7000' in the intermountain West). I used to live in SC. I loved all the trees and greenery and the variety of birds, turtles, frogs, etc. But I don't miss the heat, humidity and bugs. And we didn't have distinct seasons. Here in Utah, most of the state is desert intermingled with high mountain ranges. The air is dry (The heat feels 20 degrees cooler and the cold feels 20 degrees warmer). I can drive 30 mins north and be in the mountains. I can drive 30 mins south and be all by myself in the desert. Nice, huh? Well, all isn't so rosy. Winters are cold and long. Our first frost was in September and usually the last frost is about the 1st week in June. I had 3' of snow in my yard from Dec to just over a week ago. So if you want them PNW trees, better be able to deal with rain, mold, mildew and mud (and Bigfoot).

LMAO... when is the last time you were in Skagit County... preferrably Mount Vernon area...

Hope you can speak Spanish amigo...

Gary

HAHA yeah right! I am from Orange County, CA. All of washington doesnt even get close to equaling what the city I lived in was like.
Even western washington is nothing like eastern washington.

If you are being serious, I highly suggest you fly down to LA area. When you get back you will be extremely thankful for where you live.

Btw. This is one of my favorite beers, brewed in Oregon. Mentioned in my other post.
2330757182_fe47358725.jpg

Last edited:
Back