Looking into a PNW trip... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of you may move here if you persuade 3 to leave. :) I'm sorry, but I've seen the population just explode out here and I hate to stand in lines. Having lived in the far north of Wisconsin during my exile, I also learned about people with those Illinois license plates. Our equal is those people with California plates.:cheers:

So..what did u learn about these people with Illinois plates?? Just remember..there is the State of Chicago...and then the State of Illinois..there is a difference

So..what did u learn about these people with Illinois plates?? Just remember..there is the State of Chicago...and then the State of Illinois..there is a difference

That they were the cause, along wit dose Minnisoda bums of all evil. Such as the property prices going up, crime, pollution, war, famine, etc. The usual. For some reason, I caught right on to the Northern Cheesehead accent, hey.
Youse guys go or no hey. I like that.
Now, back to the question (I'm waiting for tonight's dose of Benadryll to kick in), simply replace Illinois with California and you have the cause of everything wrong here.

Saw a guy in Montana in a car with CA plates. He had written on HIS CAR with a marker. It said, I WORK IN then an arrow pointing to the license plate. Then it said, I'M FROM MONTANA. You might could try something like that when you drive through Wisconsin. :)

By the way, it rained here today for most of the day and my dog had her first tick of the year and the slugs which are huge, will be out and about soon. Have we told you about the slugs?

PNW is beautiful

I first went through BC, WA, OR, CA, in 1977 on my motorcycle. My parents had died and I had spent 76 going around the east coast for the bicentennial, and spent 77 out west. Took rout 89 north from AZ up to Canada and went west to Victoria BC and then down 101 to San Diego. Saw lots of great sights and had a ball. Had a woman from Tucson on the back and we stopped at all the usual places. Remember the smell of cedar sawmills like it was yesterday. The lady and I went our separate way the next year and 20 years later a dear friend asked me to act as his son (who couldn't go because of job commitments) on a trip down the Rouge river. I called the lady (Susan) from Tucson who was now a lawyer in Portland and asked if she had time to meet me at the airport for a cup of coffee since it was 20 years since we last talked. Long story short, after many trips to OR she moved to Iowa, but the times spent in OR are great memories. Recommendations, Rouge river, ocean, Astoria, Spruce Goose, any brew pub, San Juans, Victoria, many others. Susan goes back a couple of times a year cause the company she works for is HQed in Portland. Been a few years for me, but I could see living there if there weren't so damn many people. Have a great trip, and be safe. some of those crazy bastards think they are in the Indy 500 during rush hour. Best regards JR

Icky Creature That Thrives Here

This would be a good mascot for the PNW. Imagine, stepping out barefoot, when suddenly, you feel a strange sticky slime ooze on your feet. They get as long as a beer can. :eek: :eek:

attachment.php

Here's what little I know. You probably have to have a first aid card. Certification? No. The rest would depend on if you are working on your own or hired by somebody else as an employee. Some of the guys I've seen out falling are scary. Most know what they are doing though. We don't have a state income tax here so there is probably a hefty fee for being your own business. I'm sure the guys that are in the business will answer your questions a lot better. I'm merely a forester type....

This would be a good mascot for the PNW. Imagine, stepping out barefoot, when suddenly, you feel a strange sticky slime ooze on your feet. They get as long as a beer can. :eek: :eek:

attachment.php

Now that thar will be the next enviro extremeists next poster child to save:D ... Oh wait...slugs aren'e cute and cuddly...nevermind:hmm3grin2orange:

does anybody know what sort of regulations there are for timber cutters? insurance, workmans comp, certifications?

In our area most of the fallers work for the individual logging companies as kind of a sub contractor.

It usually works like this... BTC (Big Timber Company) needs a piece of ground logged. BTC doesn't actually do any of the logging themselves...they just own the ground, the timber, and the mills it will go to. BTC calls JBL (Joe Blow Logging) and offers them a set amount to do the logging. JBL takes the job and starts getting a crew together.
JBL's woods crew generally stay with him all year long and get paid by the hour...except for the fallers.
JBL usually knows a couple of good fallers, guys who've cut for him in the past and may cut for him on a fairly steady basis. He calls them up and tells them he has, say, 2 million feet to cut in such and such an area. He tells them how much he's paying...either day wages or busheling, and how many guys he might need. This is what a lot of fallers shoot for...working for one logger all season long that pays them on time and is decent to work for. It's about as much job security as you can get in this business.
The fallers, as a rule, provide their own transportation, saws, gas&oil, and insurance.
The side-rod for JBL lays out the strips and the lay. The fallers go to work.
If they're busheling you'll see a lot of hustle...the more they cut the more they make. If they're working day wages you'll still see a lot of hustle because JBL expects an amount of wood on the ground commensurate with what they're paying the fallers.

Last edited:
And I hear the complaints and the compliments about getting paid on time or even paid. If I'm seeing totally new faces every week, I know something is amiss. Usually the quality goes out the door too. I have heard that Weyerhauser dictates rules to everyone, pertaining to safety, that must be followed. If a cutter decides to disagree with those rules, he's down the road because the company doesn't want Weyco on their bad side. You might want to look up the WCLA Washington Contract Loggers Assc. or AOL Association of Oregon Loggers. There might be something helpful there. You are entering a highly competitive job market (at least around here). If you cut on Federal, be nice to the sale administrator. Sometimes she brings out home made cookies to the fallers. It is called, Make a Logger Fat Day.

That's interesting about fallers being independent contractors for lack of a better name. I'm surprised that's even allowed what with all the employment regulations today. So, does this independence and having to provide their own insurance also mean higher pay? Truly curious.
Dok

In our area most of the fallers work for the individual logging companies as kind of a sub contractor.

It usually works like this... BTC (Big Timber Company) needs a piece of ground logged. BTC doesn't actually do any of the logging themselves...they just own the ground, the timber, and the mills it will go to. BTC calls JBL (Joe Blow Logging) and offers them a set amount to do the logging. JBL takes the job and starts getting a crew together.
JBL's woods crew generally stay with him all year long and get paid by the hour...except for the fallers.
JBL usually knows a couple of good fallers, guys who've cut for him in the past and may cut for him on a fairly steady basis. He calls them up and tells them he has, say, 2 million feet to cut in such and such an area. He tells them how much he's paying...either day wages or busheling, and how many guys he might need. This is what a lot of fallers shoot for...working for one logger all season long that pays them on time and is decent to work for. It's about as much job security as you can get in this business.
The fallers, as a rule, provide their own transportation, saws, gas&oil, and insurance.
The side-rod for JBL lays out the strips and the lay. The fallers go to work.
If they're busheling you'll see a lot of hustle...the more they cut the more they make. If they're working day wages you'll still see a lot of hustle because JBL expects an amount of wood on the ground commensurate with what they're paying the fallers.

what sort of insurance are we talking here? general liability for it something gets broke or somebody gets hurt via an action of the faller, or health insurance for the faller?

Health insurance is what Bob is prolly referring to. Most JBL companies don't have it... you gotta provide it yourself. When I was still a landing rat/bucker/chaser in my teens I was still on my Dad's insurance. His premiums went up while I was workin' in the bush... imagine that...

On the rare occasion that you find a JBL company that carries insurance, is a good company, and you can work for them... Stick with them. Havin' a company paid health insurance plan benefit as a logger is kinda like hens teeth... pretty rare.

Good luck mang...

Gary

around here most loggers work as independent contractors because if they were considered employees of an actual company then the company would have to pay workmans comp(outrageous).

This being said I work as an independent contractor(I actually am tho-I cut for several different logging crews)

Anybody got any idea what the insurance costs? amagine there are alot of variables for that

Gary, great carb rebuild thread btw..i tried to hit ya but i'm all out of bullets

That's interesting about fallers being independent contractors for lack of a better name. I'm surprised that's even allowed what with all the employment regulations today. So, does this independence and having to provide their own insurance also mean higher pay? Truly curious.
Dok

No, it doesn't mean higher pay. I wish it did. One of the reasons you don't often see fallers as actual employees is the cost of Workman's Comp. You're from my neck of the woods and have probably seen and heard about the rates for just normal everyday workers. Imagine the rates for something considered as hazardous as falling is.

Most companies just can't do it...hence the faller as independent contractor. I don't know what health insurance costs for a faller now but the last policy I had, which covered my wife and son also, was about 1000 a month with a rider that increased the costs whenever my primary income was from falling. It went way up, then.

How much is gas in Illinois? It is up to $3.65 in Morton. $4.15 for diesel. Warshington has high gas taxes too. :)

Workmans comp costs depend on the accident rate. That is why operators are hesitant to hire new people. I should think you might find something if you google Washington State Department of Labor and Industry. That's who handles insurance and the safety stuff.

Latest posts

Back