Looking into a PNW trip... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel is around $4.10 (crazy) and i think gas is around $3.20-.50. depending on grade and location..

my gf just got back today..she got me a shirt, a sign, and a bunch of stickers from Wood's

and a Harley shirt from Skagit HD..

she's a keeper!!

Diesel is around $4.10 (crazy) and i think gas is around $3.20-.50. depending on grade and location..

my gf just got back today..she got me a shirt, a sign, and a bunch of stickers from Wood's

and a Harley shirt from Skagit HD..

she's a keeper!!

Gee, she should have gotten you a couple of wrap handles :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like I may come out cheaper flying out to Northern Cali and picking up a new 390xp from Bailey's in person. For what my local dealers want, I could just about come out even with airfare included. Plus, I could take a vacation.

Looks like I may come out cheaper flying out to Northern Cali and picking up a new 390xp from Bailey's in person. For what my local dealers want, I could just about come out even with airfare included. Plus, I could take a vacation.

so when u leaving?

I have a weeks vacation saved up from work....just maybe it's time to start planning. This thread has really got me thinking. I went through the Seattle area a few years ago when I was in the Corps. Didn't get to see much, but I always wanted to spend some time in the PNW.

Dang, Slowp you are going to have to tighten up on the weather reports. Your message is not getting through.

On your PNW trip make sure you stop in Centralia,Wa. and visit Sam owner of Madsens. If you really love saws and woodcutting Sam can talk with the best of them. Check out his ultra rare Stihl 090 with a 10 cubic inch top end which was once a Stihl factory experimental piece used for cutting huge hardwood in Africa. Talk to head mechanic Mike, very few know pro saws better than him.

Check out Waynes Saw Shop in nearby Amboy, Wa. Owner Wayne Sutton has a excellent museum.His mechanic '' The Wrench'' has built some decent hotsaws in his day.

Mt. St. Helens of course is a must see and if you want to see some really big old growth trees you have to cross the border into Oregon & Calif.

You might starve coming out west getting aquainted cutting timber this year, most all the mills in my area are down, and will not be up and running until summer, but export logs are still good. I believe most outfits are exporting the butt logs (maybe the second length if it meets the criteria) and pulping the tops. Pulp prices are fair right now. I am heading to the coast for a while to cut, that seems all that is around, plus we had a helluva winter with massive snow pack. But...you never know, it can all change with in a month or so. Plus it's an election year and fuel is worth more than blood, no one can deny our housing market is in the toilet either. Bad forces at play for logging.

Dang, Slowp you are going to have to tighten up on the weather reports. Your message is not getting through.

Well,the weather guy on Seattle TV said we had maybe an hour of no rain to look forward to. He lied, it never quit here. Today we are experiencing heavy drizzle with the occasional sucker hole. I even ran Twinkle while wearing a raincoat. Here is a photo from this morning. It was a very light drizzle when I took the shot. The trees in the foreground are red alder. Except for the little Doug fir. According to an internet funny, there are beer stores at the end of rainbows.

attachment.php

darn..i think id be hard pressed not to try to get in on that..beings as you could walk to work and have the ole lady bring you lunch in the woods and all!!:cheers:

darn..i think id be hard pressed not to try to get in on that..beings as you could walk to work and have the ole lady bring you lunch in the woods and all!!:cheers:

Would be nice but they only make about 1 cut in this unit per year. Its squashed in between National forest (rarely cut nowdays) Seattle watershed and private land so would be a short lived job.

this prolly goes along with this thread as good as any...but..

I've got a couple years worth of obligations left in this area..but after that i'm looking at moving to do more logging(it is just getting way to seasonal around here) and am pretty well set on the PNW region (n cal, oregon, wash. se al, or BC-certificatin i know). i realize that the housing market is in the crapper and that loggin has slowed down-although it has not in this area. but is there much logging of big trees going on anymore? from what ive read it seems like the 70's was the time for the big'uns..but is there much of that going on now? i like cutting big trees and that is what i'm looking forward to(as well as a more stable work schedule)

I fully realize that Axe Men isn't the be all end of of the PNW(and i almost hate to even bring it up) but i haven't been remotely impressed with anything that they are cutting...although i know that there is big timber out there...is any of it getting cut?

not trying to offend anyone or anything..just trying to get some ducks in a row...know what i mean?

this prolly goes along with this thread as good as any...but..

I've got a couple years worth of obligations left in this area..but after that i'm looking at moving to do more logging(it is just getting way to seasonal around here) and am pretty well set on the PNW region (n cal, oregon, wash. se al, or BC-certificatin i know). i realize that the housing market is in the crapper and that loggin has slowed down-although it has not in this area. but is there much logging of big trees going on anymore? from what ive read it seems like the 70's was the time for the big'uns..but is there much of that going on now? i like cutting big trees and that is what i'm looking forward to(as well as a more stable work schedule)

I fully realize that Axe Men isn't the be all end of of the PNW(and i almost hate to even bring it up) but i haven't been remotely impressed with anything that they are cutting...although i know that there is big timber out there...is any of it getting cut?

not trying to offend anyone or anything..just trying to get some ducks in a row...know what i mean?

There is always Alaska some big stuff still comes out of there from time to time,,,, but thats north of BC and is very seasonal,,, like you head south in november and dont return til may june,,,,

Reality. Bulk of logging is what you see. 30-36" dia about as big as they regularly cut now days. You still see occasional 3 log loads a round here. Most mills aren't even set up for anything bigger. Environmentalist helped shut the big stuff down. Bob Oak says they still cut some big stuff in northern Cal.

Latest posts

Back